Aesthetix Io On Active Isolation Platform?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone experimented with placing an Aesthetix Io on an active isolation platform, such as a Herzan?

What differences did you hear with and without the active isolation platform?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Has anyone experimented with placing an Aesthetix Io on an active isolation platform, such as a Herzan?

What does Greg Baron have under all his IO eclipse boxes? Oh shun mooks

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Don't Mook me! :)

I have Shakti Stones and woo-woo wood. And I route my cables according to Feng Shui.

An active Herzan must beat passive Mooks.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I'm going to be trying HRS nimbus footers under my IO Signature. I will follow your attempts greater isolation.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Don't Mook me! :)

I have Shakti Stones and woo-woo wood. And I route my cables according to Feng Shui.

An active Herzan must beat passive Mooks.

Hi Ron,

Did you get the 3 box version installed yet? Also have you rolled any tubes? In terms of the question about active isolation, I would be very surprised if it didn't radically improve it. That said, you would need 3 platforms if you go full IO hog.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I guess active support is now going to move from solely the preserve of tts to other gear
What w all those Io tubes causing vibration, Herzan makes a lot of sense
I'm actually done w Mooks, I'm getting nowhere near the impvt in my new room as I did in my previous place

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No, Bill; the house won't be repaired for almost a year from now.

Putting the power supplies on a Herzan is silly to me. I was thinking of only the pre-amp on a Herzan.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No, Bill; the house won't be repaired for almost a year from now.

Putting the power supplies on a Herzan is silly to me. I was thinking of only the pre-amp on a Herzan.

FWIW, Ron, i found greater improvement isolating my power conditioner than isolating the Zanden Transport. A lot of audiophiles who have spent time with isolation originally advised me when i started out to start with the power conditioner and power supplies. While i could understand a tubed power supply like Zanden...i was totally surprised by the improvement in density of tone, separation of images and generally purer signal when we started isolation the Burmester 948 Power Conditioner. Makes 0 sense to me. And I could keep moving the feet around underneath and it would go frustratingly wrong until i found the correct spot and isolation combination. still makes no sense to me.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
FWIW, Ron, i found greater improvement isolating my power conditioner than isolating the Zanden Transport. A lot of audiophiles who have spent time with isolation originally advised me when i started out to start with the power conditioner and power supplies. While i could understand a tubed power supply like Zanden...i was totally surprised by the improvement in density of tone, separation of images and generally purer signal when we started isolation the Burmester 948 Power Conditioner. Makes 0 sense to me. And I could keep moving the feet around underneath and it would go frustratingly wrong until i found the correct spot and isolation combination. still makes no sense to me.

That is very interesting, Lloyd, and not at all what I would have expected! Thank you for reporting that.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That is very interesting, Lloyd, and not at all what I would have expected! Thank you for reporting that.

FWIW, the Stillpoints folks typically recommend STARTING with power supplies/power conditioners FIRST among electronics...and then evaluating the use of Stillpoints with other components.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

It was a long time ago, but I put an Io with dual power supplies on a Vibraplane. (I know, the Vibraplane dates me!) It made a noticeable improvement, with richer tones, deeper blacks, and better imaging.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for responding. You put the main Io unit on the Vibraplane, I assume, not the power supplies?

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
First I heard what the Herzan did with Mike Lavigne's turntable, and I was mighty impressed. I had not thought that such clear and clean bass was possible from vinyl. Then Mike put the Aqua Formula on to a Herzan, and the sound quality was catapulted to another league.

Well the good news is that Sound Test now a dealer for Herzan for Audio applications in the US, Canada, Australia and Israel. If you are in Europe, we can help you too. We pick up our TS-150 from the factory in Switzerland in a weeks time.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I guess active support is now going to move from solely the preserve of tts to other gear
What w all those Io tubes causing vibration, Herzan makes a lot of sense
I'm actually done w Mooks, I'm getting nowhere near the impvt in my new room as I did in my previous place

You should specify this is based on one set of giants, which you cannot fit under anything other than your power generator

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
First I heard what the Herzan did with Mike Lavigne's turntable, and I was mighty impressed. I had not thought that such clear and clean bass was possible from vinyl. Then Mike put the Aqua Formula on to a Herzan, and the sound quality was catapulted to another league.

Well the good news is that Sound Test now a dealer for Herzan for Audio applications in the US, Canada, Australia and Israel. If you are in Europe, we can help you too. We pick up our TS-150 from the factory in Switzerland in a weeks time.
Are Herzans better than Halcyonix (sp?).

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bonzo, I've used the Mooks as I did in London
Both under my cdp on my Symposium rack, and under my transformer in a solid shelf in the flr
Prev in London, the impvts wrought were dramatic w both scenarios
You know how much I raved about them
Here in my new room, they are marginal at best, and in many ways disadvantageous
An Accurion i4 was a boon under my tt back in the flat in the trial I did 3 years ago, it will be interesting to see if effects are limited here when I trial the Speirs active shelf for my tt
My new room is like a lie detector for gear and tweaks, out of five series of tweaks that worked brilliantly in London, two have proved to be superfluous here incl Mooks

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Wisnon, I believe Herzan, Halcyonics (Accurion) and Speirs And Robertson are all on a par
All are uber lab grade tech w somewhat similar specs and tech descriptions
Speirs fits the bill for me, being 25% cheaper than the other two, London based so easier re trials and comms, and the platforms are more oversized at not much extra cost
Speirs is a no brainer for my tt, £2k for passive air shelf, a more bulletproof version of Vibraplane, and £6k for full electronic active shelf compared to £8k for Herzan and Accurion i4/Halcyonics

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Thank you for responding. You put the main Io unit on the Vibraplane, I assume, not the power supplies?

I tried that, but ended up putting the entire stack on the platform. I used Black Diamond shelves in between the units and three large Mapleshade brass weights on the top.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo, I've used the Mooks as I did in London
Both under my cdp on my Symposium rack, and under my transformer in a solid shelf in the flr
Prev in London, the impvts wrought were dramatic w both scenarios
You know how much I raved about them
Here in my new room, they are marginal at best, and in many ways disadvantageous
An Accurion i4 was a boon under my tt back in the flat in the trial I did 3 years ago, it will be interesting to see if effects are limited here when I trial the Speirs active shelf for my tt
My new room is like a lie detector for gear and tweaks, out of five series of tweaks that worked brilliantly in London, two have proved to be superfluous here incl Mooks

The Giants should not be used under the CDP or the pre as the chassis is too small. When 3 years ago you had brought the CDP to my place and then we had tried at yours we had used Ultras. I don't think they will be as effective under TT as active. Those who have both Vibraplane and Mooks prefer Vibra under the TT and Mooks under the components.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . What w all those Io tubes causing vibration, Herzan makes a lot of sense
. . .

I understand how the Herzan insulates from external vibration the device resting on it, but how does the Herzan help with vibration generated within the tubes themselves?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing