Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review - S5 MKII

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! BlueFox's Avatar
    Thanks. The rack weighs 500 pounds empty. Great for vibration control. I guess I could pull them out to the edge of the rug, but I haven't tried it. Maybe some night after they are totally broken-in I might try it.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! scouter's Avatar
    Bud,
    My S5s are in almost the same location from the back wall as yours, (maybe little further out, but not much) and tube traps in the corners behind the speakers will blow your mind! I didn't believe it until I tried them, and my wife was raising holy hell when they arrived, but honestly, even she had to admit she could tell a difference listening from the ADJOINING room. The amount of "quietness" for lack of better word is incredible. No they don't look good, but it was equivalent to adding a much better component in my system. All in all, nice looking set up. Don't blow those tweeters!

The problem I have is that the right has both an open room to the right, and it is next to a hallway leading to the back of the house. I put the picture currently behind the right behind the left, and it skewed the soundstage to the right. Now it is balanced. I will try little tweaks here and there, but I suspect things will be pretty much as is.

Name:  IMG_1480.JPG
Views: 452
Size:  1.90 MB
    Last edited by BlueFox; 03-05-2017 at 01:43 AM.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Bud, Have you tried separating the XP20 control unit from its power supply? I notice that the PS is up on Mapleshade footers which try to provide a path to drain the energy out of and away from the unit while the control unit is on its rubber feet which isolate it from floor borne vibrations but keep the vibrations from exiting. There may also be some electrical interference between the two while stacked. You could try placing the control unit on the top shelf up on the brass footers to see if it changes the sound.

Those speakers look great.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Bud, Have you tried separating the XP20 control unit from its power supply?
    Hi there, Nice setup--I tend to agree with PA--I'd certainly try the XP20 placed away from the "sensitive" area--

I noticed a significant difference in my own system when I moved my CD555PSU 3ft from the Player.

As a further thought--the Hydras could be in the "hot" zone

Anyway I'm sure you have done your due diligence re these placements -so just my observance --no worries!

Good listening,

BruceD

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Bud, Have you tried separating the XP20 control unit from its power supply? I notice that the PS is up on Mapleshade footers which try to provide a path to drain the energy out of and away from the unit while the control unit is on its rubber feet which isolate it from floor borne vibrations but keep the vibrations from exiting. There may also be some electrical interference between the two while stacked. You could try placing the control unit on the top shelf up on the brass footers to see if it changes the sound.

Those speakers look great.
    The cable connecting the two XP-20 chassis is not very long. I'm not sure it will even be long enough to be either side by side, or above where the SACD player is. Then again if I did separate them I could lower the shelf above it, and that might work. I rarely use the SACD player so I could remove it. I might give that a try someday. My next tweak is sending my HT Triton v2 in for the v3 upgrade. When that returns I will swap out the stereo Triton v2 with it, and find out if that makes a difference.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Bud, bamboo hardwoods? Your flooring looks amazing.
    Benz LPS, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), Audio Research DAC8, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    I like that painting Bud; it reminds me a little of that 3D flick...'Doctor Strange'.

You have an awesomely good looking setup, and loudspeakers...everything is...magic.
    The carpet seems to match the painting...magic ♫ carpet ride.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    Bud, bamboo hardwoods? Your flooring looks amazing.

Thank you. No, it is some kind of synthetic fake wood, but expensive since it is waterproof. The color is interesting and depends on the light as it has a grayish tint. The benefit from an audio perspective is that it sits on a concrete slab, and that sits on the ground. No crawlspace under the house to introduce vibrations into the system.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I like that painting Bud; it reminds me a little of that 3D flick...'Doctor Strange'.

You have an awesomely good looking setup, and loudspeakers...everything is...magic.
    The carpet seems to match the painting...magic ♫ carpet ride.
    I bought that picture to go behind the rack, but it ended up behind the right speaker. Amusingly, it was the second one I bought. Before I hung the first one I placed it in front of the fireplace, which has glass doors on the insert. Anyway, the sound improved a bit, and I like the way it looks, so it will stay there. Now I need to buy a third painting. LOL

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  174.4 KB

Dr Strange is on order. Unfortunately, there isn't a 4K UHD version.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast