Review - S5 MKII

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks. The rack weighs 500 pounds empty. Great for vibration control. I guess I could pull them out to the edge of the rug, but I haven't tried it. Maybe some night after they are totally broken-in I might try it.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Bud,
My S5s are in almost the same location from the back wall as yours, (maybe little further out, but not much) and tube traps in the corners behind the speakers will blow your mind! I didn't believe it until I tried them, and my wife was raising holy hell when they arrived, but honestly, even she had to admit she could tell a difference listening from the ADJOINING room. The amount of "quietness" for lack of better word is incredible. No they don't look good, but it was equivalent to adding a much better component in my system. All in all, nice looking set up. Don't blow those tweeters!:)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The problem I have is that the right has both an open room to the right, and it is next to a hallway leading to the back of the house. I put the picture currently behind the right behind the left, and it skewed the soundstage to the right. Now it is balanced. I will try little tweaks here and there, but I suspect things will be pretty much as is.

IMG_1480.JPG

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Bud, Have you tried separating the XP20 control unit from its power supply? I notice that the PS is up on Mapleshade footers which try to provide a path to drain the energy out of and away from the unit while the control unit is on its rubber feet which isolate it from floor borne vibrations but keep the vibrations from exiting. There may also be some electrical interference between the two while stacked. You could try placing the control unit on the top shelf up on the brass footers to see if it changes the sound.

Those speakers look great.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Bud, Have you tried separating the XP20 control unit from its power supply?

Hi there, Nice setup:b--I tend to agree with PA--I'd certainly try the XP20 placed away from the "sensitive" area--

I noticed a significant difference in my own system when I moved my CD555PSU 3ft from the Player.

As a further thought--the Hydras could be in the "hot" zone

Anyway I'm sure you have done your due diligence re these placements -so just my observance --no worries:)!

Good listening,

BruceD

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Bud, Have you tried separating the XP20 control unit from its power supply? I notice that the PS is up on Mapleshade footers which try to provide a path to drain the energy out of and away from the unit while the control unit is on its rubber feet which isolate it from floor borne vibrations but keep the vibrations from exiting. There may also be some electrical interference between the two while stacked. You could try placing the control unit on the top shelf up on the brass footers to see if it changes the sound.

Those speakers look great.

The cable connecting the two XP-20 chassis is not very long. I'm not sure it will even be long enough to be either side by side, or above where the SACD player is. Then again if I did separate them I could lower the shelf above it, and that might work. I rarely use the SACD player so I could remove it. I might give that a try someday. My next tweak is sending my HT Triton v2 in for the v3 upgrade. When that returns I will swap out the stereo Triton v2 with it, and find out if that makes a difference.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Bud, bamboo hardwoods? Your flooring looks amazing.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I like that painting Bud; it reminds me a little of that 3D flick...'Doctor Strange'.

You have an awesomely good looking setup, and loudspeakers...everything is...magic. :cool:
The carpet seems to match the painting...magic ? carpet ride.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Bud, bamboo hardwoods? Your flooring looks amazing.

Thank you. No, it is some kind of synthetic fake wood, but expensive since it is waterproof. The color is interesting and depends on the light as it has a grayish tint. The benefit from an audio perspective is that it sits on a concrete slab, and that sits on the ground. No crawlspace under the house to introduce vibrations into the system.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I like that painting Bud; it reminds me a little of that 3D flick...'Doctor Strange'.

You have an awesomely good looking setup, and loudspeakers...everything is...magic. :cool:
The carpet seems to match the painting...magic ? carpet ride.

I bought that picture to go behind the rack, but it ended up behind the right speaker. Amusingly, it was the second one I bought. Before I hung the first one I placed it in front of the fireplace, which has glass doors on the insert. Anyway, the sound improved a bit, and I like the way it looks, so it will stay there. Now I need to buy a third painting. LOL

image.jpg

Dr Strange is on order. Unfortunately, there isn't a 4K UHD version.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hello, speakers and setup look great.

I'm curious if when you received your new S5MkII's if you happened to notice if the spiked feet on them were fully removable or not?

I was surprised/annoyed to find out that the spikes on my S3's were perm attached to the outriggers. Well, that's probably not 100% accurate. If I wanted to take a torch to them and melt the Locktite while they were crimped in a vice I could probably remove them but thats not going to happen.

Just curious...Thanks

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Hello, speakers and setup look great.

I'm curious if when you received your new S5MkII's if you happened to notice if the spiked feet on them were fully removable or not?

I was surprised/annoyed to find out that the spikes on my S3's were perm attached to the outriggers. Well, that's probably not 100% accurate. If I wanted to take a torch to them and melt the Locktite while they were crimped in a vice I could probably remove them but thats not going to happen.

Just curious...Thanks

They arrive on rollers, which you remove and then add the spikes. I don't remember if there is another option other than spikes to install instead.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Bud, what is your listening distance from chair to tweeter? It looks near field from the photo.

Correct. It varies between 7-8 feet, depending on mood. The room is 16' wide. Maybe tonight I might try 9-10 feet back.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Not sure what happened between last night and tonight, but the sound is a touch better now. The bass is thumping clearly and cleanly, and the detail in the mid area is even more revealing. Songs are coming on and I am going 'What is that?' LOL. I love it when these experiences occur.

I suspect the speakers are adjusting to their new home, but the same thing can be said of my two week old Triton v3. Whatever is responsible, the end result is a big 10/4 good buddy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing