ProAc?

GUTB

Mar 15, 2016
After listening to a ProAc floorstander -- not sure of the model but the dealer mentioned 7k -- I find myself often thinking about them! Although I listened only to a snippet from a CD, I recall being drawn to something about the sound.

So, what's the concensus on these speakers?

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
ProAc has always made very well designed speakers with an emphasis on musicality and listener engagement. They seemed to go somewhat off course for a while with some of their early ribbon tweeter designs, but have since gotten back on track and are now reportedly reaching even higher levels of performance.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Proac speakers have high sound quality and can represent excellent value. IMHO you can not refer to a ProAC generic sound, as with some other brands - different models can have very different sound signatures. Some people love them because the larger models can play really loud with great definition staying musical.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..a friend had a pr of monitors on stands driven by Naim electronics...they sounded superb

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
After listening to a ProAc floorstander -- not sure of the model but the dealer mentioned 7k -- I find myself often thinking about them! Although I listened only to a snippet from a CD, I recall being drawn to something about the sound.

So, what's the concensus on these speakers?

Hi GUTB,

I had Studio 100’s for a long time. Think they were one of the most underrated near-field studio monitors ever made yet still very usable in a domestic environment, and still regret selling them. I know they discontinued and then reissued them with “improvements”, but not heard a recent pair.

Along with its smaller brethren, the Tablette and the Response One SC, they were my favourite British monitors, though this was over twenty years ago. I still rate them, but difficult to come by now in terms of finding a pair in good condition.

Since then I’ve struggled to connect with what ProAc have been doing. I kinda agree with audio.bill and microstrip in terms of feeling like they kinda lost their way for a while making it hard to really give them an unconditional recommendation. It’s possible they’ve reclaimed some of their spark, but I’ve not heard any of their recent models to be able to comment further.

PierreB

Jan 15, 2011
Rimouski, Quebec
For me, ProAc is one of the best kept secret in hi-fi. I have a pair of D18 for 4 years now and still love them. At 7K$ It must be the D30. It's a mystery for me why we don't see them very often in forum or review.:confused:

Reactions: Carlos Villarreal

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
You can't go wrong with ProAcs IMO. One of my fav speakers.

Reactions: Carlos Villarreal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing