Benefits of Shunyata Cable for Components with dedicated power supply?

geekboy

Jan 8, 2017
I have a Unitiserve ripper/renderer with a dedicated Teddy Pardo power supply. Obviously the purpose of the dedicated supply is to improve performance by removing the influence the power supply might have if housed within the unit. The question is - do Shunyata cords still help in this situation (i.e. adding an alpha digital e.g. to the Teddy Pardo)? I am assuming so since noise could still be passed on through this device and I don't think it has a filter or anything. Just curious if any one here has had specific experience with this question. And would it apply more or equally to digital or analog components with a dedicated power supply.

Thanks!

Paul

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
I have a Unitiserve ripper/renderer with a dedicated Teddy Pardo power supply. Obviously the purpose of the dedicated supply is to improve performance by removing the influence the power supply might have if housed within the unit. The question is - do Shunyata cords still help in this situation (i.e. adding an alpha digital e.g. to the Teddy Pardo)? I am assuming so since noise could still be passed on through this device and I don't think it has a filter or anything. Just curious if any one here has had specific experience with this question. And would it apply more or equally to digital or analog components with a dedicated power supply.

Hi Paul,

FWIW, My experience the past 18 years has been that yes, well designed power cords do make a demonstrable difference/improvement whether an outboard power supply is used or not, especially anything associated with digital architecture and signals.

To use a more benign analogy, top pre-amp manufacturers who design meticulously engineered outboard power supplies, such as Emmanuel Go of First Sound or Ken Stevens of CAT, readily acknowledge that a good power cord will improve their product's performance, as do a host of other electronics manufacturers who test these things. Pre-amp applications are not as sensitive as digital applications yet still, the benefits are very apparent (I've owned both preamps).

Very intense fields of EMI and RFI surround all electronics systems. Good power cords will invariably provide a very noticeable improvement in performance. Of course, the best way to judge this, is to borrow the model that makes the most sense on paper and evaluate the effect for yourself. I'm not familiar with the components you mention, so if you do evaluate the Alpha Digital (or even the less expensive Venom Digital), I'd love to know of your results.

Best regards,

Grant

jumpersg

Aug 3, 2016

Thanks!

Paul

I am using Shunyata Alpha Digital on two Teddy Pardo LPS. There two LPS are used on network equipment. The improvement delivered by the Shunyata Alpha digital is even bigger than adding the LPS in my case. If you are using a power distributor with these components, you can even easily hear the sound quality improvement as you use different power cord on this power distributor (Venom HC to Shunyata Alpha HC to Shunyata Ananconda Zitron for example).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing