GG, Nagra HD, Aqua Formula, and SGM server.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
my ears and mind are open to being dazzled by the Kassandra when it works out on your end. I hope it happens.

After not hearing back about the dac shootout proposed last year I figured that you didn't want to give it a fair shake. I will talk to Stavros about it and try to get something on the calendar later this year.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

Very much enjoyed your review here - very interesting.

What strikes me most in all this is not so much the dac shootout per se but the sheer importance of the SGM in all this. I remember my time reviewing the SGM very well and was flabbergasted by the improvements wrought upon the T+A seemingly transforming a competent little dac for the money to something very capable indeed. I can only imagine what the SGM must do on the end of one of the Formula and Nagra. The interesting thing for me is whether this now shifts our digital system building priorities to ensure our digital transport is absolutely critical to the end product and not merely chasing the best dac...

Best,

Bill

agree. bits are not bits. we want to see it that bits are bits, since our techie training tells us that. but our ears tell us different.

optimizing HQ Player and the whole supporting environment makes a difference.....but that is not a trivial task. and it allows us to simply find the best dac, and then feed it everything at it's best level. no dac has up-sampling capability which can compete with optimized HQ Player. HQ Player fixes the data stream. perfect bit delivery systems such as Aurender or similar products do not.

so the dac is critical, but so is fixing the data stream.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
i definitely hope this happens...your honest opinions and extraordinary depth of experience and reference room and system would be a fantastic venue for the title fight.

Maybe Aries Cerat can intervene directly to bring his champion together for fight night.

You dont have to wait Lloyd. I can take that Zandan off your hands anytime you're ready :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
After not hearing back about the dac shootout proposed last year I figured that you didn't want to give it a fair shake. I will talk to Stavros about it and try to get something on the calendar later this year.

well....er.....hummmm.....I used my fun money to buy a 16' CS2 last year........so I had to lay low and allow my wife to recover......:rolleyes:

it had nothing to do with fear of something better........I follow my ears.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
well....er.....hummmm.....I used my fun money to buy a 16' CS2 last year........so I had to lay low and allow my wife to recover......:rolleyes:

it had nothing to do with fear of something better........I follow my ears.

Well if it is CS2 all is forgiven haha

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks for the invite, Mike. I'll certainly find time to some dwell in your sweetspot. Amir told me that being there was far, far better than outside the sweet spot. He's a good sport..... as long as you can get him offline ;)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
A few remarks on your observations.

I would not say that the precision (specific value of the component) is what matters most, but most of the time the different technology used in the more precise component makes the difference. Many components such as resistors or capacitors are only 1% precise, but sometimes within a series fabrication they are precise to better than .1% and this does not make them better sounding per se. In my SoundLab speakers cheap good quality power wire resistors sounded better than the "creme de la creme" high power precision thick film ones.

Many great designers use low precision parts known for their better sounding quality, such as carbon resistors or capacitors using low precision dielectrics.

The 1704 DACs must be harvested and selected because they are not intrinsically high precision and in a DAC using the Trinity method of generating the wave this would distort enormously the signal. We can find many higher precision DACs, but they are not adequate to this job in the Trinity.

Averaging is just a good example we have alternatives to high precision. ;)

Just wanted to make clear that although sometimes precision of parts is needed and welcome, it is not the unique way to get excellent sound or can be taken as an indicator of high sound quality.

BTW, before I see some eyebrows rising, we are using precision and accuracy indifferently - in science and technology matters they are two very different thinks.

Yes, precision is the scatter around a mean value and accuracy is the closeness of a value to the "true" value of that item.

I think you are underplaying the precision needed to make a true 24bit IC ladder DAC. The resistors in the 1704 must be extremely precise to the point where they are laser trimmed to get exactly the desired value for each resistor. They might not sound as good as discrete resistors but they are likely held to a closer tolerance than most. The "K" version was the best of the bunch but perhaps even those aren't good enough for Trinity (I have no idea what they are doing) so that they have to select from dozens of "K"s?

Aries Cerat does the averaging thing, which according to Stavros works wonders once you get up to 16 or so per channel.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks for the invite, Mike. I'll certainly find time to some dwell in your sweetspot. Amir told me that being there was far, far better than outside the sweet spot. He's a good sport..... as long as you can get him offline ;)

the keyboard Amir is a different cat, comments on his site and reactions from that bunch are a bit more dark.......which is true to form. life goes on.....:rolleyes:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
the keyboard Amir is a different cat, comments on his site and reactions from that bunch are a bit more dark.......which is true to form. life goes on.....:rolleyes:

Right on Mike

I wouldn't sweat the small stuff by reading the crap there. It is true to form and yes life goes on

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I think you are underplaying the precision needed to make a true 24bit IC ladder DAC. The resistors in the 1704 must be extremely precise to the point where they are laser trimmed to get exactly the desired value for each resistor. They might not sound as good as discrete resistors but they are likely held to a closer tolerance than most. The "K" version was the best of the bunch but perhaps even those aren't good enough for Trinity (I have no idea what they are doing) so that they have to select from dozens of "K"s? (...)

Probably because the DACs have high precision, but do not have intrinsical high accuracy, as seen in the specifications ... It should be extremely critical in the Trinity - I think that temperature and thermal stability will be a critical point for the Trinity. BTW, Tektronix used interleaving DACs in their fast analog waveform generators since long - it is not a new subject.

As far as I know the Aries approach is completely different - but I do not have the details.

Also IMHO comparing the "sound" of the summing resistors in a DAC to the "sound" of a resistor in a preamplfier is comparing apples with oranges.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Lol am I lucky I came over before I read that review! Makes me wonder, would it have made me cancel the trip? Hmm, guess not

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Lol am I lucky I came over before I read that review! Makes me wonder, would it have made me cancel the trip? Hmm, guess not

Nasty hatchet job , utterly delusional bunch in that joint !!!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Nasty hatchet job , utterly delusional bunch in that joint !!!

thanks. but it was a mistake for me to even mention it. I hope we just move on and not worry about it and not have it become more than it is.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi Mike,

Very much enjoyed your review here - very interesting.

What strikes me most in all this is not so much the dac shootout per se but the sheer importance of the SGM in all this. I remember my time reviewing the SGM very well and was flabbergasted by the improvements wrought upon the T+A seemingly transforming a competent little dac for the money to something very capable indeed. I can only imagine what the SGM must do on the end of one of the Formula and Nagra. The interesting thing for me is whether this now shifts our digital system building priorities to ensure our digital transport is absolutely critical to the end product and not merely chasing the best dac...

Best,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I think you make a very good point. When allocating the system budget, one needs to be cognizant that the digital transport / digital processing system is as influential as the DAC itself

When your listening room is done, we would be delighted to visit and show you what the Formula can do with all tracks converted to DXD by HQ Player

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill,

I think you make a very good point. When allocating the system budget, one needs to be cognizant that the digital transport / digital processing system is as influential as the DAC itself

When your listening room is done, we would be delighted to visit and show you what the Formula can do with all tracks converted to DXD by HQ Player

Hi Ed,

Lovely to hear from you and I do hope all is well your end!

It is indeed very exciting times with this paradigm be seemingly flipped on its head and supported by Mike's system, recognised here as being absolutely the best.

My listening room is very near to completion in fact (well at least cosmetically). Will no doubt take a while to dial things back in again as the acoustics will be dramatically different to before since I removed a massive chimney, installed a 5m bifold window and built a new wall, added oak flooring, and installed dedicated power lines :cool:. Bit nervous tbh but will see in due course. I would of course be thrilled to see you again whenever you are back in UK especially with the SGM and Formula. Really Looking forward to seeing how much better the SGM and Formula is than the GG as per Mike's report.

Best,

Bill

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Hi Ed,

Lovely to hear from you and I do hope all is well your end!

It is indeed very exciting times with this paradigm be seemingly flipped on its head and supported by Mike's system, recognised here as being absolutely the best.

My listening room is very near to completion in fact (well at least cosmetically). Will no doubt take a while to dial things back in again as the acoustics will be dramatically different to before since I removed a massive chimney, installed a 5m bifold window and built a new wall, added oak flooring, and installed dedicated power lines :cool:. Bit nervous tbh but will see in due course. I would of course be thrilled to see you again whenever you are back in UK especially with the SGM and Formula. Really Looking forward to seeing how much better the SGM and Formula is than the GG as per Mike's report.

Best,

Bill

Not wishing to contradict anyone here but... I'm not so sure that the "importance of the digital transport" is really all that new.

Many years ago I bought the Totaldac d1 server and this made a pretty big difference to the enjoyment of my (at the time) Devialet 800. Indeed I felt that it was massively influential. We've seen this for a few years on the Devialet forum now, endless threads about different transports ranging from the über expensive to the factory direct mR. So yes digital transports can make a very big difference to the performance of a DAC. This is nothing new.

Only a year ago we heard from Alan Sircom and co and his experiences pairing the Exogal Comet with the Melco and finding that it got frighteningly close to the performance of top flight DACs out there, I think a Nagra HD got mentioned didn't it?

Of course the SGM is a relatively new and exciting development but I don't think we can credit it with turning the paradigm on its head.

Guillaume

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Not wishing to contradict anyone here but... I'm not so sure that the "importance of the digital transport" is really all that new.

Many years ago I bought the Totaldac d1 server and this made a pretty big difference to the enjoyment of my (at the time) Devialet 800. Indeed I felt that it was massively influential. We've seen this for a few years on the Devialet forum now, endless threads about different transports ranging from the über expensive to the factory direct mR. So yes digital transports can make a very big difference to the performance of a DAC. This is nothing new.

Only a year ago we heard from Alan Sircom and co and his experiences pairing the Exogal Comet with the Melco and finding that it got frighteningly close to the performance of top flight DACs out there, I think a Nagra HD got mentioned didn't it?

Of course the SGM is a relatively new and exciting development but I don't think we can credit it with turning the paradigm on its head.

Guillaume
Hi Guillaume,

Of course the importance of a good transport has been well known from the beginning of the CD era. However the Transport system doing heavy DSP, has not been in the mainstream.

There is a huge difference between delivering 16/44 bit perfect, and doing heavy DSP to upsample and perhaps format convert and then delivering DXD or DSD.

The results you can get with the T+A DAC DAC 8 DSD with a European sticker price of less than Euro 3,000 and then the improving sound quality levels as you go from stock computer, to a CAPS, to SGM, and getting very marked improvements along the way, does support an allocation of the front end budget more heavily toward the transport system with heavy DSP.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
agree. bits are not bits. we want to see it that bits are bits, since our techie training tells us that. but our ears tell us different.

optimizing HQ Player and the whole supporting environment makes a difference.....but that is not a trivial task. and it allows us to simply find the best dac, and then feed it everything at it's best level. no dac has up-sampling capability which can compete with optimized HQ Player. HQ Player fixes the data stream. perfect bit delivery systems such as Aurender or similar products do not.

so the dac is critical, but so is fixing the data stream.

Don't forget this bit Mike :)
IMG_0627.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing