New to vintage audio - Akai Reel to Reel. Info needed.

SeanIsElectric

Jan 17, 2017
Hello guys

My names Sean AKA SeanIsElectric. Im a radio DJ from Manchester UK.

I've recently come into possession of an Akai 4000DS reel to reel machine.

For the most part, it looks to be in pretty decent condition. It powers on, forwards and reverses. Needles dance etc. But I have no full way of testing it. There are a couple of nobs missing off the front but spindles are intact and thread is not worn. I'm at work now but will add some pics this eve.

I don't think Im looking at keeping hold of it but have no idea what to really do with it? Suggestions on a post card! :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I had an AKAI deck similar to that model back in 1970s. For a Reel to Reel, it didn't sound that great.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well, it won't fit 10" reels, and it's beat up... a pristine one is worth maybe $200 on a local market. I'd probably just be annoyed I was passed on something that needs work in order to be disappointed with.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Well, it won't fit 10" reels, and it's beat up... a pristine one is worth maybe $200 on a local market. I'd probably just be annoyed I was passed on something that needs work in order to be disappointed with.

..my Akai RtoR has 10" reels

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing