LA Sports

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I was sorry to see the Chargers announce their move to LA. I lived in southern California for 18 years and very few people seemed to care if there was an NFL team there or not. I didn't see the need even though I am a sports fan.

Now there are two - two not very good NFL teams. One thing is for sure - if you want fan support in LA your team better be a winner.

Ironically, Stan Kroenke, the Rams owner, is building a multi-billion dollar stadium, entertainment and shopping development without government assistance in Inglewood.

The Chargers wanted big money from San Diego taxpayers to remain.

Of course, San Diego and Los Angeles are very different markets - LA dwarfs San Diego.

Big time sports teams make incredible amounts of money. I don't think they deserve or should get subsidies from government.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Anaheim teams didn't make the cartoonists cut

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
The Anaheim teams didn't make the cartoonists cut

How true. Disney is great at the movie and theme park business. Not so great at owning sports franchises as they showed with the Angels and Ducks.

ESPN was a money printing machine for years but Disney is struggling a bit with that business now, too.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Dean Spanos, owner of the Chargers, looked at the 'gift' that was given by the City to the then owners of the Padres when their stadium was built ( Petco Park) and decided he needed some of that! Problem is that Dean Spanos has never been willing to spend enough money to attract real talent to his team...and so the team are perennial losers! The City figured out...fool me once, but fool me twice; and Spanos like so many crybabies had a snit and decided to throw a tantrum...result: he kicks sand in the face of those who had supported him and his father for so many years! Most people I know in San Diego are saying to the Chargers and to Dean Spanos....
goodbye and good riddance! Can you blame them, LOL.:eek:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
there were more fans of opposing teams than SD at Qualcomm, the biggest dump of a stadium out there

Keith, no one disputed that Qualcomm was a dump...in fact the City had offered to remodel Qualcomm and bring it up to today's standard. The cost was high to do this, but it was apparently possible to include it in the budget. Problem is that did not give enough ownership rights to the Chargers..or Mr.Spanos. This stadium debacle has been going on for years in one form or another....with various solutions floated. None were workable for Mr. Spanos. Why, because it seems that unless he was "gifted' close to one billion dollars by the poor taxpayer he wasn't going to be happy. The NFL had even offered a $300 Million contribution that could have been put towards remodeling the current stadium...Qualcomm. NO dice.
Like I said before, almost everyone here in San Diego is now saying goodbye and good riddance. :D

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing