16mm Dubber / Recorder

EvanS

Jan 15, 2017
Hello everyone!

I have been doing my best to research and find an item to meet my needs. I am having a difficult time finding information, and would appreciate any advice and information that can be offered.

A little back story:
I am hoping to start editing film on a 16mm flatbed editor. This will require me to sync sound to the image. This table will need to take 16mm perforated magnetic tape. In order to do so, I planned on outpouring the audio from my computer and recording the sound onto the mentioned tape.

I have been having a difficult time finding a 16mm dubber/recorder. If I am not mistaken this unit must also have the perforations and run at constant speed when I record to it.

I noticed that most units appear to be a smaller gauge and my searches have returned little to no information on 16mm units. Are there any specific units I should be looking for? Perhaps you could provide me with a resource for me to expand my knowledge. Maybe even a place I could find one!?

I'm also unclear what the value of such units may be, and where I can look. Even eBay hasn't returned anything!

I believe I've rambled a bit, but I hope my message was clear.

Thank you!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What's your print? Comag?

EvanS

Jan 15, 2017
What's your print? Comag?

Hi Jack,

I don't think I understand the question, but I'll give my best guess at what I think you asked.

Are you asking if my visual print will have a magnetic stripe?
If so, the answer is no. My visual film will be separate from the audio tape.
I want to record the audio from my computer onto 16mm magnetic tape that has perforations.
This is required because I will align the two separate pieces on a flatbed editor, and the editors requires 16mm perforated magnetic tape/film for audio sync.

I've been told recorder motors don't have crystal sync and don't hold speed well, but it shouldn't bed a problem because there won't be much shift while editing on the flatbed.

Are there different units for 16mm magnetic recorders that work wth perforated vs unperforated magnetic tape?

**EDIT

After doing some research, it sounds like a Sepmag, but I want to clarify. I believe Sepmag units were made to sync to the flatbed. I only desire the recording feature, then I will take the magnetic audio and put it onto the editor. I do not nneed the Recording/Playback unit to sync to my flatbed.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh! Ok. Hmmmm. What will your final medium be? 16mm with optical audio?

EvanS

Jan 15, 2017
That's the plan! Although I've been suggested to transfer the audio back into the computer and to perform my edits and adjustments there. From my understanding I could then export the audio to create the optical soundtrack.

I started looking for a tabletop 16mm recorder, and am having difficulty. Either I'm doing/searching something wrong, or they don't come along very often.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's really way before my time but I really don't remember any tabletops. Auricon would make optical amplifiers that would then feed a camera to create the optical track. I don't really know how one could sync it without timecode though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing