Lion

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

This past week for me has been terrific in the movies we have seen. Hidden Figures and Fences are two must see movies.Today a 3rd must see movie was declared It seems that most every film these days is based to some extent on historic fact and Lion was no exception. The story is absolutely a delight to watch with an ending that will leave you with a lump in your throat as you see photos of the people upon whom the movie is based. Dev Patel is indeed the star yet the first half of the movie shows his character as a young child in Khandhwar India, portrayed by 5 yo Sunny Pawar is fabulous.

Here is a terriiific review of the film from Variety

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/toronto-film-review-dev-patel-in-lion-1201857404/

Rated a conservative 71% by MRQE.com this film is 2 huge thumbs' up ....way,way up...it's that good

Cast: David Wenham, Nicole Kidman, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Dev Patel, Rooney Mara, Sunny Pawar, Priyanka Bose, Pallavi Sharda, Divian Ladwa, Eamon Farren, Tannishtha Chatterjee, Deepti Naval, Abhishek Bharate
Director: Garth Davis
Writer: Luke Davies
Rating: PG-13
Running Time: 121 min.
Synopsis:
Five year old Saroo gets lost on a train which takes him thousands of miles across India, away from home and family. Saroo must learn to survive alone in Kolkata, before ultimately being adopted by an Australian couple. Twenty-five years later, armed with only a handful of memories, his unwavering determination, and a revolutionary technology known as Google Earth, he sets out to find his lost family and finally return to his first home

Nicole Kidman in her role will show her without makeup and it's pretty eye opening yet her character from Tasmania, Australia and her husband were two wonderful human beings for having forsaken having children on their own only to adopt two boys from India

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Agree Steve. Lovely movie.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We saw Lion last week and we thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

The only question I have isn't about the movie but about Indian actors - there must be someone besides Dev Patel to act in movies about India, right? I recognize his talent but I 'd like to see some other people get the chance to play in roles like this. I make this comment half in jest and realize Hollywood often plays to box office safety, but he is becoming a bit of a cliche in roles like this.

Still behind Oscar nominated movie viewing but we do plan to see Hidden Figures today.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We saw Lion last week and we thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

The only question I have isn't about the movie but about Indian actors - there must be someone besides Dev Patel to act in movies about India, right? I recognize his talent but I 'd like to see some other people get the chance to play in roles like this. I make this comment half in jest and realize Hollywood often plays to box office safety, but he is becoming a bit of a cliche in roles like this.

Still behind Oscar nominated movie viewing but we do plan to see Hidden Figures today.

Dev is a terrific actor plus he is very likable. I thought the kid who played the young character was fabulous. We loved the film

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing