Toward a Theory To Increase Mutual Understanding and Predictability

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Audiophile discussions are more convoluted and argumentative they have to be. A lot of our posts talk past each other, rather than attempt at the outset to understand the other person’s frame of reference and perspective.

I believe that if we were to take a step back there is a fairly simple way to better understand each other, and to better and more accurately interpret the opinions others hold and the comments others post. There are two elements to this theory: 1) determining, understanding and stating explicitly your objective of high-end audio, and 2) knowing and stating your musical preference.

First, I believe there are three primary alternative objectives of high-end audio:

1) recreate the sound of an original musical event,

2) reproduce exactly what is on the master tape, and

3) create a sound subjectively pleasing to the audiophile.

I am well aware of the critiques of even this list of objectives. What is an "original musical event"? Isn't the person in the third row experiencing a different musical event than the person in the last row? I am not focusing here on those questions.

An audiophile who believes in Objective 1 (“recreate the sound of an original musical event”) is unlikely to agree with an audiophile who believes in Objective 2 (“reproduce exactly what is on the master tape”). This difference in objective will manifest itself in debates about frequency response, accuracy, fidelity, “musicality,” realism, etc., and, of course, about loudspeakers, amplifiers, analog versus digital, etc.

Of course we may think we have more than one objective. Someone who wants to reproduce exactly what is on the master tape is not likely to feel that he has no interest in what the original musical event sounded like.

If each of us could be introspective enough to identify what each of us considers to be our primary objective of high-end audio and state it at the outset I think that a great amount of the mutual misunderstanding and argumentativeness would dissipate, like the “fog” of war clears once the shooting ceases. Instead of posting back-and-forth like the old-school Rock’em Sock’em Robots game until one or both parties is exhausted, I think a higher level of mutual understanding could be achieved.

Second, I think an even incrementally higher level of mutual understanding could be achieved if we then cross reference our high-end audio objective with our preference in music. Combining our high-end audio objective with our preference in music allows us to take predictability about the sound and component preferences of others to the next level.

I believe there will be a significant correlation between an audiophile for whom the objective of high-end audio is Objective 1 (“recreate the sound of an original musical event”) and who listens primarily to jazz and such person's preference for horn speakers driven by SET amplifiers. Conversely, I believe there will be a significant correlation between an audiophile for whom the objective of high-end audio is Objective 2 (“reproduce exactly what is on the master tape”) and who likes a mix of musical genres including rock and pop and electronic music and such person's preference for dynamic driver speakers driven by solid-state amplifiers.

This may be more controversial but I think that an audiophile for whom the objective of high-end audio is Objective 2 (“reproduce exactly what is on the master tape”) is more likely to be a fan of digital playback than is an audiophile for whom the objective of high-end audio is Objective 1 (“recreate the sound of an original musical event”).

To illustrate this theory I will discuss a post on Brad’s thread Live music, Tone and Presence: What most systems get wrong opened on December 5, 2016. In Post #170 of that thread Al wrote: “The point is, a life-like saturated tone color from a tube amp, or perhaps even a SET, may be just a distortion, notwithstanding that the tone color may remind you more of live music.”

I am not in any way picking on Al. This is simply one of dozens of examples I could have used to attempt to illustrate this theory. I think this one sentence embodies the talking past each other to which I refer.

Someone who believes that of the objective of high-end audio is Objective 1 (“recreate the sound of an original musical event”) cares only about whether an audio system reminds him of live music. Someone who believes the objective high-end audio is Objective 2 (“reproduce exactly what is on the master tape”) is likely to believe that whether a system creates a sound which reminds one more or less of live music is not particularly relevant; this person cares about whether the system is producing a sound which accurately reproduces what is on the master tape. These two audiophiles may argue endlessly without ever understanding each other.

The audiophile who believes in Objective 1 doesn’t care doesn’t think in terms of “accuracy” or “neutrality” or about “fidelity to the master tape.” This audiophile may know that each of his components produces some theoretically undesirable distortion, but all he cares about is that when sautéed together the system creates a sound which to him is a reasonable facsimile of the sound of the original musical event.

An audiophile who subscribes to Objective 2 would be horrified by putting together components which are “colored” or “non-linear” or which generate excessive distortion. To this audiophile such a system is not accurate, does not reflect the master tape with fidelity, and is untethered from any determinate recording reference.

I hope it is obvious that I am seeking merely to impose a modicum of order on spectrums of preferences with infinite diversity of opinions and preferences. I am scanning for useful correlations, not perfect predictability. I am not trying to develop neat, clear lines, or to put everyone squarely into a box on a matrix. I realize fully that there are many people who listen exclusively to small jazz ensembles on conventional dynamic drivers speakers powered by solid-state amplifiers with digital as the source!

By failing to know and understand each others’ objective of high-end audio and musical preferences at the outset I think we are making mutual understanding and agreement more difficult to achieve than it needs to be. We would achieve a greater level of mutual understanding and we would discover that we agree on many more issues than it appears that we do if we were to begin by understanding each other’s objective of high-end audio cross-referenced by our musical preferences. If we were to conduct somehow a broad survey, filling in with statistically valid samples this matrix of hobby objective versus musical preference I expect that we would find a higher degree of predictability in our opinions then we presently suspect would obtain. At the least I believe this theory will give us a better idea of where someone is "coming from."

Perhaps we could be more conscious of these issues and think about, determine and state explicitly what is our personal objective of high-end audio, and state what is our musical preference, when we join a discussion of complex and subjective issues?

Should we try this as an experiment? Volunteers are welcome!

I will start: I subscribe to Objective 1. I want my audio system to recreate as believably as possible the sound of an original musical event. I listen mostly to regular rock and pop and solo vocals, a bit of jazz and a little bit of classical.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
1 isnt possible ,so we aim for 2 and settle with 3 :D.

Regarding no 2, an audiophile who is after that should own mastertapes how else can you compare , have a reference .

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice one, Ron. I'll bite.

1. I fully respect that it is IMPOSSIBLE to recreate the original event since even the recording may not have done so, certainly not perfectly.

2. At the same time, i also accept i have NO IDEA what the original recording engineer and mastering guy heard at the mastering board either...so trying to be 'true to the recording' is also not possible for me.

In the end, the ONLY reference i have is what i 'believe' a piano sounds like in real life, a voice, a flute. Does it sound like that in our living room?

Following this alone, flawed as it may be, I can say that the more i have 'honed' my system to make certain recordings sound more and more like a real piano or a real voice in our room...funny thing, more and more of our various albums ALSO start to sound better and more lifelike.

With perfect correlation? Absolutely not...but certainly a 'trend' which continues to reinforce my instincts and my honing process.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) 1) recreate the sound of an original musical event,
(...)
I will start: I subscribe to Objective 1. I want my audio system to recreate as believably as possible the sound of an original musical event. I listen mostly to regular rock and pop and solo vocals, a bit of jazz and a little bit of classical.

Your two sentences are defining very different objectives. The sound of an original event can be a reference but can not be reproduced in stereo. And as soon as you introduced the word "believably" you jump to the subjective side, where any think is possible. It depends also on people views on "believable", a word that some of our members would love to relegate, and usually leads to long threads ...

Sorry, but IMHO grouping people in categories that do not fit them is not a good start.

Again IMHO we have two fundamental groups in WBF - those who accept that a general preference expressed in controlled conditions is the way to go and those who try to build their own preference using whichever reference they want - but usually framed in their own perception of the real thing.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Regarding no 2, an audiophile who is after that should own mastertapes how else can you compare , have a reference .

Do you remember the Tony Faulkner experiment where he found listeners preferred the sound of the piano in the master tape to the microphone live feed?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Do you remember the Tony Faulkner experiment where he found listeners preferred the sound of the piano in the master tape to the microphone live feed?

Interesting. Of course, perhaps the live feed was poorly delivered, and the mastering guys did a great job and it was played beautifully through a well-calibrated system? Playing piano over the grade school PA system would sound horrible, while a Hyperion or Channel Classics played via a Vivaldi Stack on a pair of (hmmmm....Mercedes black XLFs? ;)...can sound wonderful.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

1. I fully respect that it is IMPOSSIBLE to recreate the original event since even the recording may not have done so, certainly not perfectly.

2. At the same time, i also accept i have NO IDEA what the original recording engineer and mastering guy heard at the mastering board either...so trying to be 'true to the recording' is also not possible for me.

In the end, the ONLY reference i have is what i 'believe' a piano sounds like in real life, a voice, a flute. Does it sound like that in our living room?

Following this alone, flawed as it may be, I can say that the more i have 'honed' my system to make certain recordings sound more and more like a real piano or a real voice in our room...funny thing, more and more of our various albums ALSO start to sound better and more lifelike.

With perfect correlation? Absolutely not...but certainly a 'trend' which continues to reinforce my instincts and my honing process.

Thank you, LL21.

Objective 1 is to recreate the sound of an original musical event.

Objective 2 is not to recreate with the mastering engineer heard (we are not him or her) but rather what is on the master tape.

To which objective do you subscribe?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Your two sentences are defining very different objectives. The sound of an original event can be a reference but can not be reproduced in stereo. And as soon as you introduced the word "believably" you jump to the subjective side, where any think is possible. It depends also on people views on "believable", a word that some of our members would love to relegate, and usually leads to long threads ...

Sorry, but IMHO grouping people in categories that do not fit them is not a good start.

Again IMHO we have two fundamental groups in WBF - those who accept that a general preference expressed in controlled conditions is the way to go and those who try to build their own preference using whichever reference they want - but usually framed in their own perception of the real thing.

How do you describe in a sentence your objective of high-end audio?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
How do you describe in a sentence your objective of high-end audio?

IMHO it is not possible. It involves gratification coming from art, my perception of real music and my preferences, and surely the recordings and the system. Socialization is also part of it - if I lived alone in a desert island I would pick another hobby.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you, LL21.

But not the sound of the tree falling in the forest ...

(Apologies, could not resist!:eek:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

What he said....^^

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMHO it is not possible. It involves gratification coming from art, my perception of real music and my preferences, and surely the recordings and the system. Socialization is also part of it - if I lived alone in a desert island I would pick another hobby.

I think you're not trying hard enough. :)

It is not that difficult to articulate your objective in a single sentence.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you, LL21.

Objective 2 is not to recreate with the mastering engineer heard (we are not him or her) but rather what is on the master tape.

Definitely 1. If i am going to have to guess at what EITHER the original event was like or what the engineers/mastering guys actually wanted us to hear...i choose to guess the former since at least i have heard a live piano, voice, flute, etc. before and have some pseudo-basis on which to guess.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think you're not trying hard enough. ??

It is not that difficult to articulate your objective in a single sentence.

IMHO it would be an incomplete, confusing and misleading sentence . Even excellent audio writers needed a few paragraphs to express it in a decent way.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you, LL21.

Ron,

Are you calling "sound" the physical waveform or the listener perception of it?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Definitely 1. If i am going to have to guess at what EITHER the original event was like or what the engineers/mastering guys actually wanted us to hear...i choose to guess the former since at least i have heard a live piano, voice, flute, etc. before and have some pseudo-basis on which to guess.

+1

Having been in a situation where i am making a 'live' recording of my playing an instrument, I certainly want that recording to sound as close as possible to what my playing and instrument sounds like...to me.
Therefore, i ask, does there really have to be a difference between what is on the master tape and the 'live'. i actually do think that the line between the two can be blurred to some extent ( On a great tape recording). However,
at the end of the day, the 'live' is always ( IMHO) going to trump the tape in SQ...even if it is not a vast difference to some.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

Are you calling "sound" the physical waveform or the listener perception of it?

In this context by sound I mean the listener's perception of it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing