Studer Museum Starter Kit

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No more beautiful audio machine has been designed than Reel to Reel. To have so many of them next to each other must put a smile on your face Bruce. It does for me and I don't even own them! :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
To have so many of them next to each other must put a smile on your face Bruce. It does for me and I don't even own them! :)

What really puts a smile on your face is when they all are working correctly! (Thanks to Ki)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wish I had Ki in my neighborhood so I could get one :(

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
You guys are too kind in talking about me...thank you.

The first A80 in the photo and the A810 have the Flux Magnetic Extended Response Repro head from JRF Science.

These analog R2R machines in general are never precise especially when it comes to the frequency responses. Studer factory spec for more modern heads on A810 at 15 ips is 30hz - 20Khz +/- 2dB which is nothing to write home about... It's not just Studers. Based on my personal experience with other studio master recorders, only Sony APR5003 has better actual measurements. However, Studer machines with FMER repro head Bruce uses, the tolerance gets much better at +/- 1/2dB every time. It seems they have finally figured out how to make good heads. (This sentence didn't come out right.) ;-)

I would recommend the FMER repro head to anyone who strives for the perfection in music reproduction from tapes. Bruce is planning on replacing the repro head in remaining A80.

Last edited:

Doc B.

Aug 31, 2010
You guys are too kind in talking about me...thank you.

However, Studer machines with FMER repro head Bruce uses, the tolerance gets much better at +/- 1/2dB every time. It seems they have finally figured out how to make good heads. (This sentence didn't come out right.) ;-)

Greg has been making the extended response heads for some time, for ATRs. Maybe it's more like the Studer guys have finally figured out where to get good heads. ;^)> That said, we saw exceptionally flat response at 15ips from a stock head A810 with Tube Repro, flatter than with the stock repro. On the other hand the response of my Nagra T is quite good with the stock electronics (FET input) and we had to fiddle with the head damping a bit to get the Tube Repro close. Part of the story is optimizing the band length for a given tape speed, and part of it is picking the right inductance for the electronics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing