Wiring Directly from Tape Head

Cohnaudio

Dec 24, 2016
Hi all

I know this has been discussed here and on Audionirvana, but just wanted to get people's view's before I push the button. So, I have bought a Tascam 42, which is getting a Flux Magnetic Extended Response head. I wish to circumvent the internal amplification, so I am having the it wired directly from the head to go into a King-Cello preamp.

The questions I have are as follows:

Is it really necessary to have the wiring be outside the deck? Has anyone had the wire running through the deck and not had a problem? I really don't like the wire on the outside because on the Tascam it will be very trick to thread the tape around and I am also worried about it getting torn off. This assumes the wire will be a good shielded cable - e.g. Transparent or Cardas and will be properly grounded

Is it a problem if the wire is longer than a meter - say about 4' or so. If I wire it through the machine that will probably add about a foot and then I need about 3 - 4'. With the King Cello preamp I can have the preamp near the deck, but if at some point in the future Herve Deletraz puts in a tape preamp into his line stage, I might want to try that, and I would therefore need a longer cable. Has anyone tried longer cables and not had problems? any suggestions? Thanks

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
The signal from the playback head is extremely weak, and so any noise the wire picks up is greatly amplified. There can be a lot of noise generated inside a deck as well from transformers, motors etc. You can have the wire run to the back panel of the deck to either a pair of XLR or RCA jacks. You should use a shielded cable, like a high quality shielded microphone cable.

Cohnaudio

Dec 24, 2016
But Why Does the Noise Affect the Signal Goig Through the Deck Amplifier

The signal from the playback head is extremely weak, and so any noise the wire picks up is greatly amplified. There can be a lot of noise generated inside a deck as well from transformers, motors etc. You can have the wire run to the back panel of the deck to either a pair of XLR or RCA jacks. You should use a shielded cable, like a high quality shielded microphone cable.

So I get the point that the inside of a tape deck is a noisy, crowded place, but why is signal going through the deck's amplifier not affected by the noise? It seems to me that if a properly shielded cable is used and run at the bottom of the deck, there shouldn't be so much noise that it messes with the sound. Is it RFI that we should be worried about?

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
If you use a shielded cable you should be okay running it inside the deck, a technician can do this for you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing