Forum newbie wonders if this DAP and headphone pairing sounds reasonable

Otherchuck

Jan 13, 2017
Greetings,

Kind of a 'newbie' here (well, new to this forum). I just got a new 1 yr old australian shepherd dog. Why is that relevent to an audio question? Because he is nervous when I play my home stereo, partly becuz of the way the sounds bounce off my big domed living area, so I am gonna play more stuff via DAP/headphones for a while, and I have never really invested in a decent mp3 player, and the last decent pair of headphones were Sennheisers I bought around 1980.

Compared to all of my friends, I would be considered an 'audiophile;' compared to anyone in this forum, I doubt I am quite up to your audiophilic standards. But I do care about sonics, and I particularly like to hear a natural-sounding bass. I listen to 60's thru present rock, and late fifties/early 60's jazz, amongst other stuff. No rap, not much techno/EDR, some ambient.

I am thinking of this pairing:

DAP
FiiO X3 II mp3 player ($170)

Headphone (my ears do not accommodate buds, so I thinking on or over ear:
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones ($150)
or
Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro Headphones ($177)

How does something like that sound to you experts? I am wide open to suggestions within that kind of price range. I should add, perhaps, that headphone comfort is pretty important to me as well.

I don't know if there is a place I can go to test out the feel/sound of the headphones; I am generally used to reading reviews and buying stuff online. I will check if there is an audiophile-friendly retail outlet in my community that actually carries the kinds of headphones noted above.

Thanks!

Otherchuck

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing