JVC Faux K versus Sony 4K versus Epson Laser?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In the $5,000 to $10,000 range which of these projectors today provides the most natural-looking, cinematic, analog visual experience?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
If blackest black contrasts are your thing, the JVC is still the one for projectors. The Epson Laser is also a great contender, almost but not quite the black level contrast of the JVC.

Sonys have never cared as much about absolute black levels as overall picture quality. I tend to agree with that, but my Sony VPL VW1100ES is quite good in regard to blacks, and I guess the newer generations, even the least expensive 300 series, are better in blacks and contrast.

Sony has the best 4K scalers, triluminous display, and true 4K, but with most materials and 1080P, apparently the difference isn't that apparent between the pseudo 4k and the real 4k Sony.

I have always liked the Sony picture quality, have found them to be the most "cinematic" for my taste, and I am not a black level freak, so Sony still tends to be my choice, but when I was looking for the projector upgrade, I don't think anybody was disappointed with their choice between the Sonys, JVCs, or the Epson, though the high end JVC pseudo 4k were considered the best bang for the buck.

I don't think any of the choices would be a bad one that you would regret, but you should really ask around if somebody could demo the models you are interested in.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Ron,

I asked a very similar question a year ago, and the answer came back JVC DILA X700R from 6 out of 6 people, incl the GM of our local audio dealership who personally owns one and also from the head of our electrical A/V contractor who also personally used one at home.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
It is really no contest. I was on a new PJ hunt last year and best deal was easily the JVC. In fact, at CEDIA last year, Sony compared their $15,000 PJ (675ES) to the JVC (the JVC was not calibrated and was about 1/2 the price of the Sony) and except for some test patterns that Sony developed specifically to show the "faux" part of the JVC projector, the JVC was still my choice. On regular material ( not test patterns), the JVC was better (better black levels).

For any screen under 12 feet wide, I would still select the JVC and for larger screens (and assuming I had the money) I would go to the "real" 4K JVC $35,000 projector, which, by the way does not have the contrast ratio as good as the lower cost JVC's. I have owned a LOT of projectors (CRT and digital) and this one is bar far the best and best value.

If you read the threads on this projector on AVS, you will find many who have dumped much more expensive projectors to buy this one (including me).

Just sayin'

BUT, as with most things in this audio/video [strike]addiction[/strike] hobby, YMMV!!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, gentlemen!

audioguy, which model of JVC exactly are you referring to? The same model as LL21?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Thank you, gentlemen!

audioguy, which model of JVC exactly are you referring to? The same model as LL21?

Yes. I chose the RS500. The RS500/RS600 are for all practical purposes, identical (unless you have a black cave to see the marginal differences. The 600 uses "hand selected" parts and, in theory, won't have any issues with, for example, dead pixels. And neither do I.) JVC has two numbering schemes - one for the "pro" market and one for consumers. But identical projectors. I chose the RS500 since I could not see (given where it was) any difference between it and the RS600 - and saved some $$ in the process. So, the 700R is basically the same as the 500/600.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Good thread Ron.

I am also learning slowly on the best 4K PJ and from your price bracket.
This one can be found for around $4,000-5,000 US (on sale).
So it would be less money than your target ($5,000-10,000). But the MSRP fits perfectly in that range...right in the middle of it.
______

Those above are all screenshots taken with a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Smartphone.
You can visit this guy's home theater (PioManiac), with his JVC 750 PJ in combination with a Panasonic UB900 4K BR player.

Start here from this post, and keep reading/looking.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...new-house-basement-plans-10.html#post46169657

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing