Making the Move to HDR [FULL PANEL] | HDR & SDR | Educational Video

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Planet Earth II in 4K arriving in the next day or two.

Lee

Tomorrow is the release date.
Bill Hunt from The Digital Bits has reviewed it ? http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/planet-earth-ii-uhd-bd
Ralph Potts from AVSF has reviewed it too ? http://www.avsforum.com/planet-earth-ii-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review/

This is the type of imagery (wildlife and our beautiful blue planet's natural elements) that all of us from all ages and world's countries we love with deep emotions. It's more powerful than a classical music concert. ...Equal? ...Complementary.
This 4K BR title alone is motivating enough to get a big hi-end 4K/HDR TV.
Lee, I can only imagine how you and your family are going to enjoy it on your Sony Z9D 75" Class 4K/HDR TV.
______

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
View attachment 31696

A quick shot with my phone of the red crabs of Christmas Island. The video quality of this release is incredible. My phone camera skills surely don't do it justice!

Lee

Is that 4k or 1080?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
4K. If anyone has any tips for taking better photos (iPhone 6+), I'd surely appreciate it. I took this shot without pausing the video and just used the regular HDR camera setting on the phone.

Lee

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
4K. If anyone has any tips for taking better photos (iPhone 6+), I'd surely appreciate it. I took this shot without pausing the video and just used the regular HDR camera setting on the phone.

Lee

This is still a great shot Lee.

Did you try on Pause? I've seen some very nice 4K screenshots by one Canadian before with his phone.
But I suspect that he experimented quite a bit to get there. And that was from his JVC 4K e-shift projector.
...And a Panasonic 900 4K BR player.

He uses a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Smartphone.

Unfortunately he deleted all his screenshots. They were the best I've ever seen.
From this guy @ AVSF ? http://www.avsforum.com/forum/members/7636587-piomaniac.html

You are a member there, so you can ask him some tips. He's a very nice guy, great contributor, from Calgary, Alberta.
Few screenshots from him are remaining but those aren't the best ? http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...us-Epson-Laser&p=429876&viewfull=1#post429876

And the ones in black and white were all deleted or altered to look bad, by himself.
When I first posted them they all look magnificent; I was certain that he was using a quality DSLR camera, but no he was simply using his camera phone.
'Life of Pi' in 4K from his screenshots looked simply amazing. They were my favorites ones of his.

Lee, I've read that 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' in 4K looks very very nice.
I'll be watching the 3D version tonight. ...Regular 3D dimension, nothing close to HDR or Dolby Vision.
If the 4K BR package would have included the 3D version I would have picked that one instead. But unfortunately you have to buy two separate BR packages for both versions...just over $70 here in Canada. The studios sure know how to maximize their profits...here Warner Bros.

And later on some of those HDR 4K Blu-ray releases will be re-released again...with Dolby Vision.
And in few years...(four to eight, just a guess)...again in 8K. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
... Until the majority of theaters have HDR capability, I'm not going to worry about HDR at home.
An interesting development: Samsung Cinema Screen -- 34 foot cinema screen -- LED, 4K, HDR etc. TEN (10) times the brightness of traditional cinema projection. With this, the cinema can provide "real" HDR. No price mentioned, but I would imagine that Samsung thinks it will become feasible for large scale adoption.

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...-the-future-with-new-cinema-screen-technology

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
An interesting development: Samsung Cinema Screen -- 34 foot cinema screen -- LED, 4K, HDR etc. TEN (10) times the brightness of traditional cinema projection. With this, the cinema can provide "real" HDR. No price mentioned, but I would imagine that Samsung thinks it will become feasible for large scale adoption.

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...-the-future-with-new-cinema-screen-technology

At CES this year Sony also showed scalable large video screens . It is built out of 4x4 blocks and had incredible dynamic range. So much so that even my DSLR camera could not capture it all in these images:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

The price? ...Prohibitive for most people...except for people of his caliber ? http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/bezos-second-richest-person-amazon/2017/03/30/id/781607/

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
As time advances so is knowledge and new technologies on quality moving pictures from our flat panels @ home. The sizes of flat panels also increases so they are no longer viewed as an inferior movie experience in the home. Unless of course you have a dedicated home theater in a room of reasonable size.
But front projectors don't have the quality picture of today's front panels, not when it comes to brightness, lumens, nits, HDR10, Dolby Vision, all that high clarity range of today's best flat panels.

Seven years ago Caesar started a thread in this section of the forums, the only sticky thread, and it has the most views, and the last post was also from seven years ago. I first thought of posting this in Caesar's thread; I looked @ all the threads first to make sure the best one for what I'm about to embark on. And with careful thought and direction I decided to continue the HDR expedition right here. ...For best continuity and simplicity of life in today's progression towards where we're @ and where we're going. This is in constant development and from a learning process and from new advancements as the picture technologies are perfected and also with some newer ones introduced.

Everything is important in flat panels, not just the numbers of nits, the quality and implementation of HDR, HLG, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, ... from the power supplies in our flat panels to the number crunching of the video processor chips to the reliability of the picture quality unaffected by image retention from the news channels, the fluctuations of our voltage regulations, to the longetivity and statbility of light emissive distribution. ...Uniformity all around well balanced.

I don't believe there is only one best TV. They all have their pros and cons. And not two people use their TV the exact same way in the exact same room, unless they live together under the same room and enjoy the exact same shows, documentaries, video music concerts and movies. ...Plus from the exact same taste on video settings...colors, contrast, brightness, ...etc., professionally calibrated or not.

Our eyes, like our ears, are our own unique human senses, with their own sensibility frequencies.
It is with that open mind we're exploring what's next after what it was and what it is.

I'm not going to tell anyone that this TV or that TV is the best. And nobody is going to tell me the same.
We're all here to simply learn more and be happy with whoever we are and the unique decisions we all make in life. It's not about what we have, it's about how we make our own choices in life from advanced knowledge and share with others. Nobody was born with superior knowledge, only from affinities, adaptation, balance, time, exploration, practice and living peace.

There are no better ways to watch a quality moving picture than when fully relaxed and @ ease.

Ok let's cut the philosophical bullshit and get it on with the TV program, before we get lost in space.
_____

Those are just few of the latest, ...there is much more to come...about HDR: HDR10+, Dolby Vision, ...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I recently bought a TCL HDR 4k budget model as a computer monitor for Pleasanton for $250@43inch. What a shock, picture is amazingly good and even the blacks are great.

I bought the Sony HDR 4k 43 inch last year for $650 for Santa Cruz computer monitor/gaming. The Sony definitely has superior processing, but I can't say it's 250 percent better processing based on price over the TLC.

I also got a 55 inch OLED for Santa Cruz for TV viewing in the living room. Watching Netflix "Lost in Space" in 4k HDR/Atmos Dolby/Technicolor Expert is amazing for visuals. The OLED isn't perfect, but it's like vacuum tubes in audio, just so lovely you forgive it for it's beauty.

My 120 inch 4k Sony projector in Pleasanton is still the best overall for impact/general picture, even without HDR. I think HDR is gratuitous for projectors, anyway, long run for short slide.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing