Vivid's new flagship Giya G1 "Spirit" launch in Chicago 11 Feb. 2017

VA_G1_Spirit_ Advert.jpg

We are v excited about sharing details of the launch of Vivid’s new flagship speaker system; the Giya Spirit. Ten years in the making; the original Giya G1 was launched at CES 2007. The Spirit builds on the already stellar performance of the G1 but adds considerably more LF as well as more color / tonal density to the mids. Builds on the crossover originally designed for the B1 Decade, delivers crystal clear, extended highs; should be quite a performer. Woofers have greater excursion, double the power handling. The external crossover must be a good idea, as we know from the Artesania racks how sensitive our audio gear is to vibration. Inside the cabinet those pistonic woofers generate a HUGE amount of pressure. The 2017 spec G1 is no slouch with the integral screen tweeters and the mids & HF design crossover from the B1 Decade, but the Spirit will take the Giya performance to a different plane. Definitely a contender for the Best Loudspeaker Design Ever ! It ticks all the boxes: lowest distortion, highest resolution, linear performance, true full frequency response (no subs needed) ...

Guest speakers to include John Atkinson (editor Stereophile) , Doug Schneider (editor SoundStage), Laurence DIckie (Vivid Audio chief designer). Yours truly will be your DJ and Chief Fun Officer. For those interested, there will be a Press Q & A with Laurence Dickie at mid-day.

instead of launching Vivid's new Spirit at CES 2017, we opted to delay the launch by a month and throw a great party in Chicago instead. We chose Prof. George Vatchnadze as our host, because of both his musical & audiophile pedigree, the Georgian is a professional pianist & listener. Who better to explain the significance of this 21'st Century design than Georgia's favorite musical artisan. George is also a touring concert pianist, is currently recording the entire Prokofiev piano sonata cycle with Exton, Japan for release on SACD and download. By day, he heads up the piano department at DePaul University. Link to George in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnvLbXhDhM

Please click on link for an over-view on the new Giya Spirit (retail $93k) which should be a dramatic improvement over our own Giya G1. Music will be played on the new TechDAS Airforce 1 Premier as well as on the new Merging+ NADAC player. We do hope that you can attend, please RSVP to Prof. George Vatchnadze - george@kyomiaudio.com or phone 312 513 2759.

Spiritual Explosion.jpg
Spirit Exploded

We look forward to seeing you in Chicago. It promises to be a fun weekend.

Philip O'Hanlon

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The new Giya G1 Spirit really must be a special speaker! I thought the old Giya G1 was superb... Philip, how much does the new model increase in price over the old model? Is the old model retrofittable to the new spec? If so, at what price?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The new Giya G1 Spirit really must be a special speaker! I thought the old Giya G1 was superb... Philip, how much does the new model increase in price over the old model? Is the old model retrofittable to the new spec? If so, at what price?

Please click on link for an over-view on the new Giya Spirit (retail $93k)

are the G1's $85K

Davey,

Good to hear from you again. I just received the 2017 spec Giya G1, its clearly the best G1 to date. Richer & more resolute mid-range and clear as a bell HF. No price increase on the G1, still $68k. The price difference between the two is $25k ($93k @ pair, not each)
Sorry, there is no way to "upgrade" a G1 to the Spirit. The two cabinets are not the same, though they share the same volume. As you will see, pretty radical improvements. Laurence Dickie describes the Spirit as a G1 on steroids. I have not heard the speakers yet, will have to wait until next month in Chicago and even then, pretty soon after the launch, the demo speakers are going to SoundStage for review.

G1 Spirit Proportions.jpg
Spirit is 4" (10cm) shorter than G1 but is much fatter by the woofers, to accommodate the considerably deeper, larger woofers, though they are the same diameter.

G1 Spirit Bass Woofers.jpg G1 Spirit C225 Coil & Magnet.jpg
Spirit's woofers have a 4" voice coil. G1 woofers are 3" voice coils.

Spirit_internal.jpg
Spirit cabinet has two extra layers of CNC machined carbon skinned composite grids, where the crossover was in the G1, so the cabinet is stiffer.

G1 Spirit C125S Low Mid.jpg
The lower mid-range woofers have been considerably beefed up. Should provide more mid-range resolution as well as tonal color & density.

Can't wait to hear them myself, not to mention put them through their paces in our great room. We will probably use the Luxman 1000 series to drive them in Chicago.

Ciao,
Philip

Steve & Davey,

I guess by high-end standards, the G1 are a bargain @ $68k a pair. They certainly punch beyond their price.
warm regards
Philip

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Philip, nice hearing from you again too. Thank you for the quick reply. I can see from the pictures that you just posted that there are considerable differences between the speakers. To improve greatly over the already superb G1's would be no easy task, IMO. I will very much look forward to hearing the new Spirit's...I'm sure they will be a jaw dropper!!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Phillip. Would love to hear them. Alas, they are too far away for me to make the trip :). Which audio show will they be at?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have ordered a pair ...unheard...Delivery March..
Upgrading my devialets to 1000pro's to drive them.

Spirit at Audio Shows 2017

Hi Phillip. Would love to hear them. Alas, they are too far away for me to make the trip :). Which audio show will they be at?

Amir,
Possibly AXPONA and the LA Audio Show in June. It will be tricky, between lending demo speakers to the magazines and having them available for dealers and the shows.
Warm regards
Philip

How much is the optional external crossover Philip and is it adjustable

Steve,
We will include the external, analogue crossover in the retail price in the USA. Other markets may price differently.
No adjustments, the crossover can be ordered in black or color matched to the speakers.
Ciao
Philip

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Not sure about this , but does the external xover allow for quad amping ? looks like 4 terminals which would indicate the usual bi amping ..
I have the later G1's .. are the spirits as sensitive ?
not that it really matters.. the devialets are no where near their limits on the G1's at 500w chan .. upgrade gives 1000w chan .. with 500w , I managed to crack my ceiling and blow the mesh covers off the woofers...
After this upgrade..Im done ..until the G0's :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Are there any particulars about the G0 that anyone would like to share? IF--a big IF, the G0 can substantially beat the G1's and its variants, that would truly be some speaker!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Are there any particulars about the G0 that anyone would like to share? IF--a big IF, the G0 can substantially beat the G1's and its variants, that would truly be some speaker!

I hearing it's a D'Appolito design

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I heard the design is inspired by a Triceratops and it comes with 4 double sized nautiluses each holding a 21" woofer .. but what do I know ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I heard the design is inspired by a Triceratops and it comes with 4 double sized nautiluses each holding a 21" woofer .. but what do I know ?

Wow...sounds like it could be more like Rockport Arrakis sized speaker or bigger! Given the apparent alacrity of the G-1s and apparently their phenomenal bass wallop, that could be quite something.

Giya G1Spirit Gallia Modena Matt profile_small.jpg

Guest speakers with extensive Vivid experience:

Doug Schneider - Editor - SoundStage
John Atkinson - Editor - Stereophile
Laurence Dickie - Designer - Vivid Audio

Given how delighted we are at the sonic improvements to the 2017 Giya G1, which utilize the crossover technology originally designed for the B1 Decade. Richer more resolving midrange, clearer, more extended treble. Can't wait to hear what The Spirits sound like. Laurence Dickie describes them as Giya "G1 on steroids" The Spirits are being delivered to Chicago this week. Hope some members from the WB Forum can attend.

See you there,
Philip

Giya G1 Spirit_blk_small.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing