Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CES is Dead, long live CES

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CES is Dead, long live CES

I have to agree 100% with this blog entry from the Part Time Audiophile, CES is dead. It started to die when they moved the venue to the Venetian. Too expensive, terrible elevators, no bathrooms, crappy sounding rooms (except for the suits on the 34-35 floors.)

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/...7-much-abides/

Banned
    The only thing that I agree with Scott there is that the high-end show has shrunk some. And will possibly shrunk more. But other than that, it was a delightful show. The rooms were absolutely comfortable temperature wise. HVAC noise was minimal. Rooms sounded just as good as, if not better than other venues with larger rooms in general.

Yes, there were less hardcore audiophiles there but that allowed me to spend more time with the exhibitors talking about their business, industry, friends, etc. I made and refreshed more industry connections here than any other shows.

Importantly, I sat next to fellow Microsoftie and writer for part-time-audiophile, Mohammed Samji, who was spending a day there to cover the show for Scot. So not sure if Scot feels that way, he sent Mohammed there. I will have to ask him at the next audio show.

For me CES is wonderful because I get to see both audio and lots of other technologies in one place. I hope we support all of these shows as to enable them to thrive as little good comes out any of them going out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    The only thing that I agree with Scott there is that the high-end show has shrunk some. And will possibly shrunk more. But other than that, it was a delightful show. The rooms were absolutely comfortable temperature wise. HVAC noise was minimal. Rooms sounded just as good as, if not better than other venues with larger rooms in general.

Yes, there were less hardcore audiophiles there but that allowed me to spend more time with the exhibitors talking about their business, industry, friends, etc. I made and refreshed more industry connections here than any other shows.

Importantly, I sat next to fellow Microsoftie and writer for part-time-audiophile, Mohammed Samji, who was spending a day there to cover the show for Scot. So not sure if Scot feels that way, he sent Mohammed there. I will have to ask him at the next audio show.

For me CES is wonderful because I get to see both audio and lots of other technologies in one place. I hope we support all of these shows as to enable them to thrive as little good comes out any of them going out of business.
    You got to spend more quality time with the exhibitors because there were no customers. That like saying I'm sad my KMart is closing because there were no lines.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey_t View Post
    You got to spend more quality time with the exhibitors because there were no customers. That like saying I'm sad my KMart is closing because there were no lines.
    CES is primarily a dealer/industry show. It is where manufacturers go to sign up new dealers/distributors. It is also an international show. These make it different than audio show where a lot of people go there just to hear equipment and pontificate about the same.

So no, it is not like that. There was plenty of foot traffic but again, not of the type you imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    CES is primarily a dealer/industry show. It is where manufacturers go to sign up new dealers/distributors. It is also an international show. These make it different than audio show where a lot of people go there just to hear equipment and pontificate about the same.

So no, it is not like that. There was plenty of foot traffic but again, not of the type you imagine.
    I've been going for 16 years. It used to take us 2 full days to visit CES at Alexis Park, it took 3 hours this visit all the rooms this year. I think the real decline started with the move to the Venetian and when they clamped down on selling records.

Very sad.

I've been attending since 2004 and things are definitely different. I used to have wait to get in some rooms and there was no chance of getting the "sweet spot" chair. This year in many of the rooms to include the suites, I was the only attendee and had the room to myself for several minutes. I enjoyed having the Lamms and Kharmas to myself for 1/2 hour.
    I agree with Amir, the rooms sounded fine and in my opinion as good or better than the Alexis Park. The problem is the lack of foot traffic. I know that some of my favorites were MIA (Von Schweikert/VAC) and even the big boys (Wilson, etc.) have a smaller presence now.

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    I've been going for 16 years. It used to take us 2 full days to visit CES at Alexis Park, it took 3 hours this visit all the rooms this year. I think the real decline started with the move to the Venetian and when they clamped down on selling records.

Very sad.
    It sounds like 3D.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

[Industry Expert] Senior Member metaphacts's Avatar

Very sad.
    16 years yields an interesting, short term perspective. Started attending CES in 1976.

Actually it was the Venetian that resuscitated a dead CES. The AP was inefficient, out of the way, and sounded like ass. Had CEA not come up with a replacement for the AP, CES would have died years ago. Again this show is about the industry, not the end user.
    Wilson Audio

Very sad.
    This article agrees with you

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/ces...258f-162530809

Banned
    I've been going for 16 years. It used to take us 2 full days to visit CES at Alexis Park, it took 3 hours this visit all the rooms this year.
    Three hours? I spent two full days from opening hour to closing and then some to cover 90% of what was there. If I had not wanted to go and cover the main show floor, I would have spent another half a day to full day there. I took nearly 700 pictures which I documented in 85 threads. Discovered bunch of new music and enjoyed listening to many. Built new friendships and industry connections.

I think the real decline started with the move to the Venetian and when they clamped down on selling records.

Very sad.
    Alexis Park was a dumpy hotel and CES high-end show at the Venetian has been highly thriving post the move from AP. Just look at my coverage of CES in this forum from years past -- all at Venetian.

Same kind of sad song was played for Rocky Mountain here. I almost didn't go because of that. Good thing I ignored that and attened. It was a highly successful show for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast