Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CES is Dead, long live CES

CES is Dead, long live CES

I have to agree 100% with this blog entry from the Part Time Audiophile, CES is dead. It started to die when they moved the venue to the Venetian. Too expensive, terrible elevators, no bathrooms, crappy sounding rooms (except for the suits on the 34-35 floors.)

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/...7-much-abides/

The only thing that I agree with Scott there is that the high-end show has shrunk some. And will possibly shrunk more. But other than that, it was a delightful show. The rooms were absolutely comfortable temperature wise. HVAC noise was minimal. Rooms sounded just as good as, if not better than other venues with larger rooms in general.

Yes, there were less hardcore audiophiles there but that allowed me to spend more time with the exhibitors talking about their business, industry, friends, etc. I made and refreshed more industry connections here than any other shows.

Importantly, I sat next to fellow Microsoftie and writer for part-time-audiophile, Mohammed Samji, who was spending a day there to cover the show for Scot. So not sure if Scot feels that way, he sent Mohammed there. I will have to ask him at the next audio show.

For me CES is wonderful because I get to see both audio and lots of other technologies in one place. I hope we support all of these shows as to enable them to thrive as little good comes out any of them going out of business.
    Amir
    Madrona Digital
    Founder, Audio Science Review Forum
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    The only thing that I agree with Scott there is that the high-end show has shrunk some. And will possibly shrunk more. But other than that, it was a delightful show. The rooms were absolutely comfortable temperature wise. HVAC noise was minimal. Rooms sounded just as good as, if not better than other venues with larger rooms in general.

Yes, there were less hardcore audiophiles there but that allowed me to spend more time with the exhibitors talking about their business, industry, friends, etc. I made and refreshed more industry connections here than any other shows.

Importantly, I sat next to fellow Microsoftie and writer for part-time-audiophile, Mohammed Samji, who was spending a day there to cover the show for Scot. So not sure if Scot feels that way, he sent Mohammed there. I will have to ask him at the next audio show.

For me CES is wonderful because I get to see both audio and lots of other technologies in one place. I hope we support all of these shows as to enable them to thrive as little good comes out any of them going out of business.
    You got to spend more quality time with the exhibitors because there were no customers. That like saying I'm sad my KMart is closing because there were no lines.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey_t View Post
    You got to spend more quality time with the exhibitors because there were no customers. That like saying I'm sad my KMart is closing because there were no lines.
    CES is primarily a dealer/industry show. It is where manufacturers go to sign up new dealers/distributors. It is also an international show. These make it different than audio show where a lot of people go there just to hear equipment and pontificate about the same.

So no, it is not like that. There was plenty of foot traffic but again, not of the type you imagine.
    Amir
    Madrona Digital
    Founder, Audio Science Review Forum
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    IMO CES for high end audio is dead.

Agree Jeffrey
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    CES is primarily a dealer/industry show. It is where manufacturers go to sign up new dealers/distributors. It is also an international show. These make it different than audio show where a lot of people go there just to hear equipment and pontificate about the same.

So no, it is not like that. There was plenty of foot traffic but again, not of the type you imagine.
    I've been going for 16 years. It used to take us 2 full days to visit CES at Alexis Park, it took 3 hours this visit all the rooms this year. I think the real decline started with the move to the Venetian and when they clamped down on selling records.

Very sad.

[Industry Expert] Member metaphacts's Avatar
    Not to be that guy, but CES has been in flux since the first one I attended a very long time ago. From Sink the Bismarck, to move to Vegas (winter), to the "wake by the lake", to the demolition of the Sahara Bi-level that led to the Alexis Park, to the Venetian move, CEA has always been relatively unresponsive to high end's needs.

Customers are the industry, not end users. Once CES lost that differentiation, it was just another show, albeit much more expensive.

Manufacturers need a venue that allows them to do business with their direct customers (dealers and distributors) CES gave that up years ago but Munich maintains the divide. It works beautifully. Other than Munich. the change causes one to reexamine how funds are spent to reach our customers. Do we bring dealers and manufacturers to the factory for training and demonstration or do we spend funds on no longer effective industry shows? How do we support too many regional shows - they're not inexpensive? What's the best mix?

Thoughts?
    Wilson Audio

I've been attending since 2004 and things are definitely different. I used to have wait to get in some rooms and there was no chance of getting the "sweet spot" chair. This year in many of the rooms to include the suites, I was the only attendee and had the room to myself for several minutes. I enjoyed having the Lamms and Kharmas to myself for 1/2 hour.
    I agree with Amir, the rooms sounded fine and in my opinion as good or better than the Alexis Park. The problem is the lack of foot traffic. I know that some of my favorites were MIA (Von Schweikert/VAC) and even the big boys (Wilson, etc.) have a smaller presence now.

[Industry Expert] Member metaphacts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holli82 View Post
    I've been attending since 2004 and things are definitely different. I used to have wait to get in some rooms and there was no chance of getting the "sweet spot" chair. This year in many of the rooms to include the suites, I was the only attendee and had the room to myself for several minutes. I enjoyed having the Lamms and Kharmas to myself for 1/2 hour.
    I agree with Amir, the rooms sounded fine and in my opinion as good or better than the Alexis Park. The problem is the lack of foot traffic. I know that some of my favorites were MIA (Von Schweikert/VAC) and even the big boys (Wilson, etc.) have a smaller presence now.
    If the dealers and distributors don't come, it doesn't matter what the end users think. This is an industry show. It is for doing business/meeting with clients, NOT doing demos for end users. That end users have crashed it is part of the reason it is dying. Perhaps a dedicated consumer day(s) could change that. Who knows?

There are plenty of consumer shows to show our wares to the public. There are precious few where we can do business with dealers and distributors.
    Wilson Audio

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Look guys.. CES died when they switched dates with the AVN awards!!
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast