Which audio show to attend in 2017?

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010
I'd say the thread title is pretty self-explanatory.

I try to attend an audio show every other year. I was scheduled to attend RMAF last fall, but was unable to due to family schedules.

I've priced out flights and hotels, and it looks like the cost of attending any of the major US shows is about the same for me. The problem is that I'm not sure which one to attend.

I had contemplated THE Show, but after the spat with the LA Audio Society and the creation of the LA Audio Show, I'm not sure whether that one is worthwhile. It's scheduled at an awkward time of year, as it is slotted immediately before RMAF. It's also fairly inconvenient to get to this year, since it's not really close to any airports.

I can't really evaluate the LA Audio Show because this will be the first one. The location is certainly convenient to LAX, but it's slotted just a few weeks after Munich, which is arguably the most important show of the year, which could affect whether exhibitors are willing to attend.

I'm sure I know somebody in the LA area. It seems everybody knows somebody in the LA area.

There's Axpona in April. I do have a handful of friends in Chicago, and I've never had the chance to explore the city. I've heard good things about the show, and the exhibit list seems pretty good, but I really don't know much about it.

And lastly, there's RMAF, which is sort of the default choice. I live close enough to drive and have a car available for the evenings. I have some friends in Denver I'd love to see again. But, by all available accounts, last year's show was a mess. The new rooms apparently don't lend themselves to easy setup, and attendance seems to have been in decline for years now. Plus, if exhibitors default to THE Show, they may choose to forego RMAF 2 weeks later.

If I can't make a decision otherwise, I will probably default to attending RMAF again. But I'd love to hear good arguments as to why I should attend one of the other shows instead.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hey, TMM- been a long time. I feel Axpona and the LA Audio Show will be the top two shows for 2017. The Newport show has been a few weeks after Munich for years now, so LA shouldn't be a concern for that reason. As the local (and largest in the country) audio society is hosting LA, it should be the better SoCal show.

I have not been to Axpona, so can't give you a comparison. I believe its approaching the size of Newport and RMAF though.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I would not recommend LAAS. Not really that many good audio brands in attendance that you couldn't see locally.

I would recommend Axpona or NY, but NY just for the fact that you can do a lot in NY after the small show

x1992

Jul 9, 2016
Dallas
I only know Axpona and RMAF, and both are fun. You can't lose, really. RMAF 2016 was, I think, a bigger problem for dealers than it was for the consumers. That Marriott is not the best layout for an audio show, although the renovation is definitely and aesthetic improvement. It is a small pain to get around, and like you said the rooms are tight. I prefer Axpona, even though it has been a bit smaller. The Hyatt layout is better with a more spacious lobby level and its more relaxed in my experience. Its also very well produced and has a nice restaurant inside. Plus there are a million things to do in Chicago; you have to go if you have never been. The blue line is in walking distance of the Hyatt and the ride is about 20-30 minutes to downtown. I go most every year and stay downtown for a few extra days for fun and the fantastic restaurants.

Volya GmbH

Jan 11, 2017
Bexbach, Germany
Planning to go to AXPONA this year as exhibitors. Hope it won't dissapoint. And it's not for the first time I read that RMAF is getting worse year by year. We were thinking to go there as well but now have some doubts.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I try to do Capitol Audiofest and the NY show as they are close. Went to Munich last year and hope to go again this year.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I did Hong Kong last year. I'm hell bent on Tokyo this year.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The exhibitor list for AXPONA looks very solid already so I went ahead and signed up to go.

Contemplating Munich motivated partly to touch base with European friends. It is a pain to get there, effort and time wise, so I am not quite sure yet.

RMAF was just fine last year. As noted, it was worse for exhibitors than us. I liked the quiet and comfortable AC than prior to renovation and there was more than enough stuff to see.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
September Lloyd. Let's go!

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010
Upon further thought, I'm going to stick with RMAF this year. The biggest driver is more about seeing friends in the Denver area than about the show itself, which I suppose is understandable.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I'll be w/Scaena at Axpona again this year. The show seems to get bigger and better every year.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My thing is if you can find a local show that's good. Especially if a local dealer
is present you can follow up afterwards. Try to make your trip dual purpose.
Tourism is good. New York and Las Vegas are well known. DC now has gambling at the MGM Grand. DC has excellent public transportation.

Volya GmbH

Jan 11, 2017
Bexbach, Germany
The exhibitor list for AXPONA looks very solid already so I went ahead and signed up to go.

Contemplating Munich motivated partly to touch base with European friends. It is a pain to get there, effort and time wise, so I am not quite sure yet.

RMAF was just fine last year. As noted, it was worse for exhibitors than us. I liked the quiet and comfortable AC than prior to renovation and there was more than enough stuff to see.

If you attend AXPONA we would be glad to see you in our exhibit room 436, 4th floor. We are planning to present our new model NoLimits. AXPONA visitors will be the first who see/listen.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you attend AXPONA we would be glad to see you in our exhibit room 436, 4th floor. We are planning to present our new model NoLimits. AXPONA visitors will be the first who see/listen.
Wonderful. I am all signed up and will seek you out! Thank you very much for the invitation. A product with that name sounds exciting! :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Munich is a great city for food. After the show, we can drive thru France and Italy and eat our way through those two countries..... Hifi? What Hifi?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Munich is a great city for food. After the show, we can drive thru France and Italy and eat our way through those two countries..... Hifi? What Hifi?

Waistline? What waistline? :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing