Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Schiit, interesting name...more interesting products!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Whip View Post
    Have heard the Yggy many many times and love it, I have the Gumby which is a tad warmer sounding. To me, they sound a lot like live music. Recordings of jazz in clubs or classical in large spaces really shine as the sense of space is remarkable. They are very detailed. Some may find them to be too analytical. I don't at all and find some DACs to be two sweet or euphoric which may be good for systems or rooms which stray too far from neutral, i.e., too bright. To each his own. As for the company name, I love it! If you want native DSD or MQA, forget it as Schiit will support neither. At least, with MQA you will be able to get most of the way there with software deciding, even without a MQA DAC. Eventually, full decoding will be available via software I am sure,
    I agree about the name. WRT DSD, its a must have for me.

I found the Yggy too dry....and as such lacking "soul"...but perhaps it was the ultra neutral system that we both know. How are you anyway? It has been a while...I was just in London, your fav City and your team Chelsea is still leading the Premiership.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    I applaud Schiit for their efforts and unconventional name.

I think they face an uphill battle with that name ... and their sane pricing. Once it is settled that they're not expensive they suddenly find themselves relegated to the "good for its price" damning faint praise or classified as "mid-fi" before one note has been played.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    I think they face an uphill battle with that name
    Not with me. In fact, I find it attractive for obvious reasons .

... and their sane pricing. Once it is settled that they're not expensive they suddenly find themselves relegated to the "good for its price" damning faint praise or classified as "mid-fi" before one note has been played.
    Not with me on this one either. My $ 3K speakers lift high above their price range, so I am always interested in audio bargains. Why should I pay more than necessary? Just because of some fancy brand? I pay for performance, not prestige. I am interested in a dCS Rossini DAC for timbral believability and resolution, not for being a dCS Rossini. If a Schiit (gotta love this) Yggdrasil could come close for a fraction of the price, then that's all I am interested in. I have my doubts, but it might be worth a try. A 5 % restocking fee of 115 bucks after a two-week trial period doesn't seem too bad.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    I agree about the name. WRT DSD, its a must have for me.

I found the Yggy too dry....and as such lacking "soul"...but perhaps it was the ultra neutral system that we both know. How are you anyway? It has been a while...I was just in London, your fav City and your team Chelsea is still leading the Premiership.
    Hi Norman, I will be back in London in April after spending all of March in Australia and New Zealand. The blues are doing well as is Tottenham. The Gumby is warmer than the Yggy. Different strokes for different folks.

Addicted to Best!

I think they face an uphill battle with that name ... and their sane pricing. Once it is settled that they're not expensive they suddenly find themselves relegated to the "good for its price" damning faint praise or classified as "mid-fi" before one note has been played.
    Mike and Jason are selling to the younger crowd not your typical audiophile. They are doing very well.

I do like their pricing and attitude. Just didnt like the Yggy.

Hi Norman, I will be back in London in April after spending all of March in Australia and New Zealand. The blues are doing well as is Tottenham. The Gumby is warmer than the Yggy. Different strokes for different folks.
    Man U has the momentum though, but Chelsea and L'Pool dont have Euro duty, so will be very well rested. There is talk of an internal 6 team mini-league in the title race this year.

Man C is star studded, but fragile defence while Spurs have 2 killer fwds.

My team is 'Pool, but they have the lowest number of "brand name" players.

Addicted to Best!
    Saw Liverpool Lose to West Ham at Upton Park Jan. 2016. Klopp has quite a set of lungs, you could hear him quite clearly up where I was. Liverpool is short on defenders and a keeper. Man U will be a factor next year for sure but can't catch the Blues this year.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Mike and Jason are selling to the younger crowd not your typical audiophile. They are doing very well.
    I must be young then .

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    I think it's a fabulous name. It shows a sense of humour in an otherwise somewhat stodgy audio world. Members on most audio boards seem to have had good experiences with them and they are thereby gaining some traction. It's companies like Schiit who offer solid products at reasonable entry-level pricepoints that have the opportunity to get more people interested in this hobby. Today's entry-level audiophile is tomorrow high-end buyer.
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V - Pioneer RT-909

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast