Schiit, interesting name...more interesting products!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
With names like Ragnarok, Yggdrasil, Freya and the like...( i'm not making these up!) The company with the "unfortunate" name of Schiit is about to launch several new products that are potentially groundbreaking. ( Personally, I would change the company name..if for no other reason than the obvious). Nonetheless, if one looks at the more than fair pricing of these products and the fact that they have the potential to out shine many other manufacturer's multi thousand $$ offerings, it would seem fair to state that possibly a new wave of 'high' end is coming. One that could well shake up the established manufacturer's and their current pricing structure. I have not had the pleasure of hearing any of the Schiit products, but I have been told by a few a'phile friends ( whose ears I trust) that to consider spending a lot more on other gear is not going to buy one much....except fancier metalworking and perhaps some name cache!
Anyone here have the opportunity to hear this gear...and perhaps more importantly, anyone here want to hear this gear...........??

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Their prices are so low that the main guys have other jobs for their main income; there's a couple full time employees. It's a cool company offering affordable stuff, but longevity is something yet to be seen. I like the name.

Do I want to listen? Meh, if it comes up, but really none of it looks real impressive.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..the handful of reviews out there tend to be positive

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Have heard the Yggy many many times and love it, I have the Gumby which is a tad warmer sounding. To me, they sound a lot like live music. Recordings of jazz in clubs or classical in large spaces really shine as the sense of space is remarkable. They are very detailed. Some may find them to be too analytical. I don't at all and find some DACs to be two sweet or euphoric which may be good for systems or rooms which stray too far from neutral, i.e., too bright. To each his own. As for the company name, I love it! If you want native DSD or MQA, forget it as Schiit will support neither. At least, with MQA you will be able to get most of the way there with software deciding, even without a MQA DAC. Eventually, full decoding will be available via software I am sure,

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
This company is popular on some other forums but I haven't ran across any mention of why the name is what it is. My guess is that it was an immediate attention grabber.

Tom

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
they (The forums) were talking schiit about schiit a few years back, weren't they ?

I don't know, but I do know that this company is trying to bring to market several products that are well engineered, sound excellent and more importantly are more than fairly priced. Including the aforementioned tube preamp, the DAC and the soon to be released amp. Take the Freya (preamp) for example, it features the ability to go passive, a 128 step attenuator/volume control ( which IMO is a great feature), tube gain or ss gain and a remote control for $699-.Plus, apparently it sounds very good. Here's the point, if you are an entry level or beginner a'phile----or even someone simply wanting better sound than what is typically offered at Best Buy, what is your option? You can visit your local brick and mortar high end store and they will introduce to you to their entry level gear at a starting price of $1000's! or you can get into headphones or more likely a portable device, ala the iPod or its kin...or you now have a choice with the Schiit gear. ( Assuming that you are ever made aware of it). IMO, and it's as always ONLY that, to have a company able and willing to develop this type of product is something that the industry and more importantly, hobbyists like ourselves, should be VERY pleased about. WHY, because just perhaps, companies like Schiit may insure the future of our hobby--- unlike the other mom and pops who want to charge $75K for a new DAC or ?? ALL IMHO!!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I don't know, but I do know that this company is trying to bring to market several products that are well engineered, sound excellent and more importantly are more than fairly priced. Including the aforementioned tube preamp, the DAC and the soon to be released amp. Take the Freya (preamp) for example, it features the ability to go passive, a 128 step attenuator/volume control ( which IMO is a great feature), tube gain or ss gain and a remote control for $699-.Plus, apparently it sounds very good. Here's the point, if you are an entry level or beginner a'phile----or even someone simply wanting better sound than what is typically offered at Best Buy, what is your option? You can visit your local brick and mortar high end store and they will introduce to you to their entry level gear at a starting price of $1000's! or you can get into headphones or more likely a portable device, ala the iPod or its kin...or you now have a choice with the Schiit gear. ( Assuming that you are ever made aware of it). IMO, and it's as always ONLY that, to have a company able and willing to develop this type of product is something that the industry and more importantly, hobbyists like ourselves, should be VERY pleased about. WHY, because just perhaps, companies like Schiit may insure the future of our hobby--- unlike the other mom and pops who want to charge $75K for a new DAC or ?? ALL IMHO!!

I don't know schiit about their equipment. Just poking fun at the name that I find amusing....;)

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Schiit is doing very well and expanding their facilities in CA very quickly appealing to the very demographic that Davey mentions. All their stuff is made in the US including all of the parts with the exception of the wall warts.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
With names like Ragnarok, Yggdrasil, Freya and the like...( i'm not making these up!) The company with the "unfortunate" name of Schiit is about to launch several new products that are potentially groundbreaking. ( Personally, I would change the company name..if for no other reason than the obvious). Nonetheless, if one looks at the more than fair pricing of these products and the fact that they have the potential to out shine many other manufacturer's multi thousand $$ offerings, it would seem fair to state that possibly a new wave of 'high' end is coming. One that could well shake up the established manufacturer's and their current pricing structure. I have not had the pleasure of hearing any of the Schiit products, but I have been told by a few a'phile friends ( whose ears I trust) that to consider spending a lot more on other gear is not going to buy one much....except fancier metalworking and perhaps some name cache!
Anyone here have the opportunity to hear this gear...and perhaps more importantly, anyone here want to hear this gear...........??

Thank you for reminding us of this interesting company. Based on rave reviews I did play with the thought of ordering the Yggdrasil DAC ($ 2.3 K), but the lack of volume control made me hesitant. Now they have the Freya pre-amp ($ 0.7 K) which you can use in passive, buffered mode, and in 128 discrete volume control steps -- precisely what the doctor ordered! (I already have great interconnects for including this device in my chain.) Perhaps I might give it a try in the next few months; it's certainly a cheaper proposition than the dCS Rossini DAC that I had on my mind, that's for sure. Eight times cheaper, to be precise.

I'd first order the DAC and use it with my own unbuffered passive pre-amp (basically just a volume control). That passive pre-amp is problematic on some music but good enough for testing, and if I don't like the DAC I can still return it within 15 days.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They have a forklift that runs around moving parts/product. Their volume exceeds probably 80% of the brands discussed on this forum. But as I said due to low pricing the business only affords a couple people full time jobs. They're taking on a burden to offer the community prices that are wishful thinking in relation to inflation disparity.

They've shown at a show before, hopefully they'll continue with that so perhaps the social people will get a listen.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Just read the review in the current issue of Stereophile of the Yggdrasil DAC. Herb Reichert seems to really like it, yet reading JA's measurements, it would appear that he feels there are some engineering concerns. This all goes to show that one can really only trust one's own ears..and luckily the Schiit gear has a very amenable return policy. Nonetheless, when price rears its head, I question whether one can ask for a lot more??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing