Schiit, interesting name...more interesting products!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Others have reported excellent dynamics with the Yggy. Whatever. I'll see what I hear.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Quite a few I'd guess, Jason acknowledges this. The name is all of a piece with the products, so better that a potential customer not waste the company's time in buying then returning kit which doesn't suit them. Put the wrong kind of customer off right from the start is sound business practice.

I don't believe so, as Margaret Thatcher once said 'there's no such thing as bad publicity'.

They weigh up the repulsion it creates in some (not target customers anyway) with the attraction felt by others and decide the balance is in their favour.

Incidentally Stereophile has their review of the Yggy up now - http://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-yggdrasil-da-processor#RzoK4OQOrLet3WSB.97

Bad publicity can be a good thing ( because all publicity is still publicity, LOL) , Bad marketing on the other hand...not usually a good thing.
Also, I do not now how a company can 'accurately' gauge how much repulsion the brand name is creating...certainly not a small company like Schiit!

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
I'd agree that bad marketing - by which I'd mean ineffective marketing - isn't a good thing for a company wishing to generate interest and sell products. But seems to me that Schiit's marketing is jolly good in that they've managed to generate a lot of interest for a very small spend. They do very little direct advertising for example, but they're using Head-Fi to good effect with Jason's blog and writings about the company's history and the ins and outs of product decisions.

I also agree they can't accurately gauge (i.e. measure) the revulsion created through their choice of name, but as with any business decision you just have to go with your gut. My gut tells me they're on the right track.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Bad publicity can be a good thing ( because all publicity is still publicity, LOL) , Bad marketing on the other hand...not usually a good thing.
Also, I do not now how a company can 'accurately' gauge how much repulsion the brand name is creating...certainly not a small company like Schiit!

Given that they seem to very successful, they probably don't care about "what if"s...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That doesn't sound good. Less sharp transients, less dynamic contrast. But:

Perhaps not so bad after all -- transients possibly less etched and artificial, and thus only seemingly less sharp?

Anyway, I'll hear the unit for myself sometime, hopefully soon.[/QUOTE]

Al, as we all know there are many variables in listening to the SQ. We see that the Yggy did not measure very well in the report from JA in Stereophile. Yet that may not be an indicator of how the piece behaves in your room and to your ears and expectations. Or maybe it is??
I was recently listening to a piece of gear that is highly thought of...yet in my system and with the very high expectations that I had, I was severely disappointed. Part of that disappointment ---for me-- was probably due to the very high cost of this piece in relation to its actual performance. I probably shouldn't say this here...BUT to me the higher the cost of a piece of audio gear, the higher the expectation I have for it. This almost invariably leads to a certain amount of dissatisfaction with the piece in question. OTOH, since most of Schitt's gear is reasonably priced ( IMO) and nothing seems too over the top, then my expectation would likely be more than met! Unless there was a glaring fault, I would be more inclined to consider the piece. Whether I would jump to buy at that point...that is another question. I believe everyone will answer that question in a different manner. None of the answers would be wrong, IMHO.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I'd agree that bad marketing - by which I'd mean ineffective marketing - isn't a good thing for a company wishing to generate interest and sell products. But seems to me that Schiit's marketing is jolly good in that they've managed to generate a lot of interest for a very small spend. They do very little direct advertising for example, but they're using Head-Fi to good effect with Jason's blog and writings about the company's history and the ins and outs of product decisions.

I also agree they can't accurately gauge (i.e. measure) the revulsion created through their choice of name, but as with any business decision you just have to go with your gut. My gut tells me they're on the right track.

Hard for me to disagree with any of this.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

I would agree with you. It would appear that this company is offering a LOT of value for the money. The market seems to be positively reacting to that ( a good thing IMO). Let's hope that this continues. Now here's the question, let's say that the company name wasn't Schiit but was Pice o'Krapo...how would that sit? Inquiring minds, LOL:D:D

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, as we all know there are many variables in listening to the SQ. We see that the Yggy did not measure very well in the report from JA in Stereophile. Yet that may not be an indicator of how the piece behaves in your room and to your ears and expectations. Or maybe it is??
I was recently listening to a piece of gear that is highly thought of...yet in my system and with the very high expectations that I had, I was severely disappointed. Part of that disappointment ---for me-- was probably due to the very high cost of this piece in relation to its actual performance. I probably shouldn't say this here...BUT to me the higher the cost of a piece of audio gear, the higher the expectation I have for it. This almost invariably leads to a certain amount of dissatisfaction with the piece in question. OTOH, since most of Schitt's gear is reasonably priced ( IMO) and nothing seems too over the top, then my expectation would likely be more than met! Unless there was a glaring fault, I would be more inclined to consider the piece. Whether I would jump to buy at that point...that is another question. I believe everyone will answer that question in a different manner. None of the answers would be wrong, IMHO.

You have good points here, Davey. Problem is, I don't just look for good, I look for incredibly good. The Yggy needs to be significantly better than my Berkeley DAC, which in itself is quite an excellent unit despite some flaws. I know what digital can do at a high level (dCS Rossini, for example) and I would hope that the Yggy would address the same problem areas that top digital can. Is that possible at a fraction of the price? The Yggy is certainly not burdened by dealer margins and by expenses of fancy metal case milling.

I have become disillusioned with a lot of high-priced equipment as well. Also, it is now more than ever clear to me that any high end system involves considerable compromise (hey, even any speaker positioning is by nature a compromise), and I prefer to have my compromises at lower price levels rather than at stratospheric ones.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
You have good points here, Davey. Problem is, I don't just look for good, I look for incredibly good. The Yggy needs to be significantly better than my Berkeley DAC, which in itself is quite an excellent unit despite some flaws. I know what digital can do at a high level (dCS Rossini, for example) and I would hope that the Yggy would address the same problem areas that top digital can.

I have become disillusioned with a lot of high-priced equipment as well. Also, it is now more than ever clear to me that any high end system involves considerable compromise (hey, even any speaker positioning is by nature a compromise), and I prefer to have my compromises at lower price levels rather than at stratospheric ones.

Here's the question Al--- we all have high expectations, and for large amounts of money, I believe we are entitled to that; BUT are we as entitled to those same high expectations at lower ( sometimes much lower) price points? Or, should we be willing to overlook a few warts in this type of gear...and interestingly are the many reviewers willing to do the same. The typical Schiit gear is sometimes a fraction of the cost of most high end gear!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Here's the question Al--- we all have high expectations, and for large amounts of money, I believe we are entitled to that; BUT are we as entitled to those same high expectations at lower ( sometimes much lower) price points? Or, should we be willing to overlook a few warts in this type of gear...

My last gear upgrades, the BorderPatrol external power supplies for my amps and my Reference 3A speakers (both also factory direct), unfortunately have taught me that having high expectations at low price levels may not be unreasonable. Sure, the speakers have some warts (which speakers don't?), but they perform far above their price point.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
The Yggy has dynamics I spades as does the little sister Gumby which is what I have. FWIW, I find the Mytek stuff to be a bit too harsh. Perhaps that is the difference.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The Yggy has dynamics I spades as does the little sister Gumby which is what I have. FWIW, I find the Mytek stuff to be a bit too harsh. Perhaps that is the difference.

Thanks, that's along the lines I suspected, at least if perceived dynamics are related to perceived transient speed. I made guesses about the latter in my last post on page 10. I'll be able to judge myself soon, hopefully.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
When you get it, keep it on all the time. It takes several days to sound its best.

Of course. I never disconnect my Berkeley either, and it doesn't even have an 'off' switch, on purpose. I'll probably give the Yggy at least overnight on CD repeat before I do any listening. I expect it to be fully at its potential after 1 week, which gives me another week to decide if I want to keep it. Dang, a 30 day return would be better.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Of course. I never disconnect my Berkeley either, and it doesn't even have an 'off' switch, on purpose. I'll probably give the Yggy at least overnight on CD repeat before I do any listening. I expect it to be fully at its potential after 1 week, which gives me another week to decide if I want to keep it. Dang, a 30 day return would be better.

Hope you post your thoughts on the Yggy once you have had a chance to listen. Although the Yggy is $2300-, the other gear in the line is generally much less! The Freya is $699- and here's the thing, the newly expected amp is going to be similarly priced!! If that is anywhere near as good as I have heard it will be, then we may have a game changer in the hobby. Certainly for entry level a'philes it should be a no-brainer combo.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hope you post your thoughts on the Yggy once you have had a chance to listen.

Will do.

Although the Yggy is $2300-, the other gear in the line is generally much less! The Freya is $699- and here's the thing, the newly expected amp is going to be similarly priced!!

The Freya is the one item that made it possible to seriously consider the Yggy (my current DAC has variable output).

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
In the review by Herb Reichert, we have this: "One thing was weird, and a bit perplexing: Through the Yggdrasil, the lowest and highest frequencies seemed less pure and well defined than through the Brooklyn—but with the Schiit, those same octaves seemed more realistic and tangible, less hi-fi sounding. The contrast reminded me of studio monitors and home audio loudspeakers."

What does this mean to anyone who seriously listens to 'live' music??:confused::confused::(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing