Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Schiit, interesting name...more interesting products!

Schiit, interesting name...more interesting products!

With names like Ragnarok, Yggdrasil, Freya and the like...( i'm not making these up!) The company with the "unfortunate" name of Schiit is about to launch several new products that are potentially groundbreaking. ( Personally, I would change the company name..if for no other reason than the obvious). Nonetheless, if one looks at the more than fair pricing of these products and the fact that they have the potential to out shine many other manufacturer's multi thousand $$ offerings, it would seem fair to state that possibly a new wave of 'high' end is coming. One that could well shake up the established manufacturer's and their current pricing structure. I have not had the pleasure of hearing any of the Schiit products, but I have been told by a few a'phile friends ( whose ears I trust) that to consider spending a lot more on other gear is not going to buy one much....except fancier metalworking and perhaps some name cache!
    Anyone here have the opportunity to hear this gear...and perhaps more importantly, anyone here want to hear this gear...........??

I heard the Yggy. Didnt like it at all.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Their prices are so low that the main guys have other jobs for their main income; there's a couple full time employees. It's a cool company offering affordable stuff, but longevity is something yet to be seen. I like the name.

Do I want to listen? Meh, if it comes up, but really none of it looks real impressive.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    I heard the Yggy. Didnt like it at all.
    Why?

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar
    ..the handful of reviews out there tend to be positive

Addicted to Best!
    Have heard the Yggy many many times and love it, I have the Gumby which is a tad warmer sounding. To me, they sound a lot like live music. Recordings of jazz in clubs or classical in large spaces really shine as the sense of space is remarkable. They are very detailed. Some may find them to be too analytical. I don't at all and find some DACs to be two sweet or euphoric which may be good for systems or rooms which stray too far from neutral, i.e., too bright. To each his own. As for the company name, I love it! If you want native DSD or MQA, forget it as Schiit will support neither. At least, with MQA you will be able to get most of the way there with software deciding, even without a MQA DAC. Eventually, full decoding will be available via software I am sure,

Quote Originally Posted by es347 View Post
    ..the handful of reviews out there tend to be positive
    They have just released a new tube preamp...the Freya. I believe it is very well thought of.....and they are about to release a new amp.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    as an aside is there a reason for the company name?
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

This company is popular on some other forums but I haven't ran across any mention of why the name is what it is. My guess is that it was an immediate attention grabber.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    as an aside is there a reason for the company name?
    Yes, Jason Stoddard talks about the genesis of the name over at Head fi. I think it was suggested by his wife. The ad slogans you can think of are endless. Here is the link. http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schi...#post_10286931
    In short, his wife told him he always complaint that he had **** to do so she said, why not name the company ****. Hence the name.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast