Schiit, interesting name...more interesting products!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yes, a really cool room and a lovely host. No complaints there whatsoever.

Oh, and BTW I have heard the Evol Acoustics speakers several times before, so that was not new to me (I really like them) so if not the Yggy, it was the Spectral (or that combo) that left me asking for a glass of water. LoL

Perhaps not. If you changed out the DAC and nothing else, then it would indicate that is was the DAC. OTOH if you did not do that, having listened to some of the other ancillary gear, I am not so sure, LOL.;)

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Just a matter of taste. I don't find this particular room and set up dry at all. Some like vanilla, some chocolate and others strawberry. If we all liked the same thing or thought the same way, it would be a boring world.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Just a matter of taste. I don't find this particular room and set up dry at all. Some like vanilla, some chocolate and others strawberry. If we all liked the same thing or thought the same way, it would be a boring world.

And some like Liverpool and others Man U.

Different strokes, I totally agree.

BTW, from memory your own system was less dry to me as well, though we only played briefly...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

BTW, from memory your own system was less dry to me as well, though we only played briefly...

Wisnon, when you say 'dry as the desert'...that definitely conjures up an impression to me of the sound that you heard...Except "dry" isn't really a term that applies to music, at least IMHO.
Perhaps you could elucidate further as to what you found objectionable with the sound that you heard that day from the Yggy? I think...think?? I know what you are talking about, but perhaps not???
Some of the terms that we use...such as 'bright' or 'resolving' or even 'hard', are I think more understandable in the audio vernacular. Therefore, I guess, I am asking you was the sound lacking in timbre, or lacking in bass response, or lacking in resolution or...?? I suspect you are going to answer..timbre...is that correct?:confused:

Last edited:

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA

Built a brand new room, bigger and sounds great. Not dry at all.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Winston, when you say 'dry as the desert'...that definitely conjures up an impression to me of the sound that you heard...Except "dry" isn't really a term that applies to music, at least IMHO.
Perhaps you could elucidate further as to what you found objectionable with the sound that you heard that day from the Yggy? I think...think?? I know what you are talking about, but perhaps not???
Some of the terms that we use...such as 'bright' or 'resolving' or even 'hard', are I think more understandable in the audio vernacular. Therefore, I guess, I am asking you was the sound lacking in timbre, or lacking in bass response, or lacking in resolution or...?? I suspect you are going to answer..timbre...is that correct?:confused:

This is a room that you have to hear. You don't hear a room at all. The best comparison I have is the rooms I toured at the old BBC studios across from the White City Tube stop in London. No echo, nothing. Walking into this room can be a bit jarring at the outset because of this. This room has the best timbre I have ever heard in a home 2 channel room. Not even close to being bright. Perfect bass response with I believe 16 subs in the ceiling. My room on the other hand is more reverberant, not bright, but the reverberance adds a bit of space that is probably not in the recording. I have a normal lived in room which is dedicated to audio but does not have specially built walls with special fabric and the like. Not for everyone I guess but for me, it is the best sounding room in the Philly area. There is a ton of detail and the lowest noise floor I have ever heard outside of a great local recording studio where my son has recorded.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting, Joe. I would hope that I come to the same conclusion, that the Yggy beats my Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC. I hope for more resolution, and for better sax sound (I know that it can be had from top digital, even though it is a weak point of much digital). Strange though, sax seems to sound better now that I have finally cleaned my cable contacts last night ...

Live music mostly sounds incisive, and PCM represents that incisiveness well to me. I can't stand 'smooth' sound even though some may find it pleasant. So I can understand when you say PCM is more line the real thing to your ears. Interesting that you find these characteristics of being too soft and smooth in that DSD sound, this must be the umpteeth time that I have heard such a complaint about DSD, so you are not alone.

I used to have similar complaints about analog, until I heard top vinyl -- with all the incisiveness that I was looking for.

Al this is usually a cartridge effect. Just an example, use a Koetsu and you won't have incisive sound, use VDH Colibri and you will.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Al this is usually a cartridge effect. Just an example, use a Koetsu and you won't have incisive sound, use VDH Colibri and you will.

Hey Bonzo,

I used to think that myself. Being a guy who preferred maximum resolution and incisiveness, I tended to congregate around cartridges of a similar ilk (Lyra's mostly, with a brief dalliance with a Decca). This was however on belt drives. Once I heard a Koetsu on an idler with a heavy arm, that all changed, and I abandoned my predilection for the cartridge having to make up for the lack of rhythmic drive I got from various belt-driven and suspended decks. Call that an opinion if you like (which, let's be honest, it most certainly is), but I gained some comfort in my decision to move away from the former toward the latter when I discovered Sugano-san voiced his cartridges on a Garrard 401.

Which has nothing - nothing - to do with the topic of this thread. (It's just great to talk idlers every now and then.)

Gentlemen, please excuse the intrusion. I apologise. It will not happen again. At least on this thread. I promise.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
Well, of course; my comment was meant to provoke thoughts that perhaps the founders just don't understand marketing. ...

Company co-founder Jason Stoddard has had a career in marketing and has explained their marketing strategy at some length in a series of posts in a thread at Head-Fi.
The first post in the thread contains links to the various chapters. Try 2016, chapter 1. If you want the whole thing in PDF format for offline reading, see post 5810.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Company co-founder Jason Stoddard has had a career in marketing and has explained their marketing strategy at some length in a series of posts in a thread at Head-Fi.
The first post in the thread contains links to the various chapters. Try 2016, chapter 1. If you want the whole thing in PDF format for offline reading, see post 5810.

If the products don't perform, they run the risk of having selected the proper company name. If they do, they are off the hook. I found the PDF here http://lucasbosch.de/schiit/jason-stoddard-shiit-happened-a5paper-lblb.pdf - is there an abridged version of why he chose that name? I jumped directly to chapter 17 on amplification devices and topologies; excellent reading, thanks; it looks like the whole thing is a reference encyclopedia.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If the products don't perform, they run the risk of having selected the proper company name. If they do, they are off the hook. I found the PDF here http://lucasbosch.de/schiit/jason-stoddard-shiit-happened-a5paper-lblb.pdf - is there an abridged version of why he chose that name? I jumped directly to chapter 17 on amplification devices and topologies; excellent reading, thanks; it looks like the whole thing is a reference encyclopedia.

Exactly, if the products don't perform, there is plenty of fodder for ridicule. From a marketing perspective, I can kind of see the logic, but it's pretty risky and there are plenty of other 'catchy' names without any potential negative connotations.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Exactly, if the products don't perform, there is plenty of fodder for ridicule. From a marketing perspective, I can kind of see the logic, but it's pretty risky and there are plenty of other 'catchy' names without any potential negative connotations.

So why then engage in risky marketing, when all that matters is the sound. I've read a big section of the PDF and still have no real answer; they talk about $800 screws and such, and if you talk about "Schiit" then just do it... :confused: Anyway, we wish them well, they are apparently doing well.

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
So why then engage in risky marketing, when all that matters is the sound.

That's a really interesting question - from my point of view doing business is like running an experiment. With risk, there's reward if the risk succeeds. If you engage in non-risky marketing what hope do you have to learn something new? 'All that matters is the sound' doesn't run seem to run contrary to engaging in risky marketing, rather they look to me like two sides of one coin.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That's a really interesting question - from my point of view doing business is like running an experiment. With risk, there's reward if the risk succeeds. If you engage in non-risky marketing what hope do you have to learn something new? 'All that matters is the sound' doesn't run seem to run contrary to engaging in risky marketing, rather they look to me like two sides of one coin.

Here's the thing, if you are the new kid on the block...and happen to have a formula that nobody else has, how do you get that exposed to the market? This is always the $64K question and one that has flummoxed numerous companies. In order to not stay small and ultimately fail, I think that the principals at Schiit realized that a "catchy" name would be highly beneficial! Problem is, what name to go with....one that has negative connotations and yet is unlikely to be forgotten by an expanding audience, or one that is 'safer' and yet may not have the same impact. We know what these guys went with, I suspect many of us would not have chosen the same route....myself included!:confused::D

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
In order to not stay small and ultimately fail, I think that the principals at Schiit realized that a "catchy" name would be highly beneficial!

Sure, I believe its called 'buzz marketing'. You have to get in sync with the vibe, the zeitgeist. How does anything 'go viral'? Business books get written about this kind of thing.

Problem is, what name to go with....one that has negative connotations and yet is unlikely to be forgotten by an expanding audience, or one that is 'safer' and yet may not have the same impact. We know what these guys went with, I suspect many of us would not have chosen the same route....myself included!:confused::D

Its a kind of 'divisive' choice of name for sure, either people love it because they see and appreciate that kind of humour, or they hate it and thus steer clear by more than a mile. But the products and attitude of the founders are like that, they say 'if you don't like what we're doing here, there are other choices in the marketplace, go with those'. Their whole attitude isn't at all pushy, it seems Jason understands 'pull marketing' and kudos to him for that.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Wisnon, when you say 'dry as the desert'...that definitely conjures up an impression to me of the sound that you heard...Except "dry" isn't really a term that applies to music, at least IMHO.
To me a bit dead and its like there is a hole in the music. On a few tracks it was better than the IRS system, but most times it lacked an organic character to me. As I said no complaints about the room or the host, just the system matching was not to my taste. As I know the speakers quite well, I rule that out. What was left was the amp and Dac as the possible "culprits". Joe, loves it so it clearly works for some tastes, but I actually prefer Joe's then system, warts and all.

The room itself is a technical marvel and the system SHOULD be unassailable, but it didnt work for me...as if the music was not of this dimension. I found it hollow, for want of a better work. If that is technical perfection for neutrality, give me the flawed system!

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
To me a bit dead an like there is a hole in the music. On a few tracks it was better than the IRS system, but most times it lacked an organic character to me. As I said no complaints about the room or the host, just the system matching was not to my taste. As I know the speakers quite well, I rule that out. What was left was the amp and Dac as the possible "culprits". Joe, loves it so it clearly works for some tastes, but I actually prefer Joe's then system, warts and all.

The room itself is a technical marvel and the system SHOULD be unassailable, but it didnt work for me...as if the music was not of this dimension. I found it hollow, for want of a better work. If that is technical perfection for neutrality, give me the flawed system!

If I recall you are a Lampi fan and any non-tube DAC would probably sound dry by comparison, more so one that is neutral sounding.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
If I recall you are a Lampi fan and any non-tube DAC would probably sound dry by comparison, more so one that is neutral sounding.
Not really, I heard Goldmund million dollar systems with not a tube in sight and Dartzeel/Evol Acoustics systems and did not have the dry impression. Same for the Chord DAVE at an audio show and the Illusonic multi-processor Dac.
Not with CH Precision/Stenheim or W-Benesch either. All SS digital converters there.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Please let us know if when and if you compare the Yggy to the Berkely Alpha 2. These are two DACs I'm considering but, with the Schiit you do need a linestage.

Thanks

Possibly in March. I'll try first with my passive pot, and if that is promising and the Yggy is a keeper, I'll go with a buffered passive stage. That would be the Schiit Freya. If you don't amplify, the tube stage does not become activated but it goes over a JFET stage. It comes with remote, 128 steps.

Muser

Jan 21, 2016
Good attitude about some good Schiit

Jason Stoddard and Mike Moffat have been in the industry a very long time. They've produced acclaimed (Theta Gen V, etc.) and noteworthy products (Sumo Electronics). While I would probably not choose that name for a product I like their irreverent style.

How many posts here and on the interwebs reflect a joyless pursuit of "perfection." For me, most of the time, being an audiophile is the pursuit of enjoying music. I think many audiophiles (and me) could lighten up a bit and spritz a bit of joy into their maniacal pursuits - but that's my perspective. You all get to choose for yourselves. I find Schiit's name and style are a welcome counterpoint. Perhaps stirring up some Schiit is what they had in mind. Kudos to them for their flare and products.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing