microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I honestly wish I knew the answer Bob but I dont as I never use that button. Rather I use new posts and have never had a problem. It functions the same

The New Posts thread doesn't have all of the updated activity as the Activity Stream tab. When you are away from the site for several hours you could miss posts if there is a lot activity during your absence. It will not show in either the New Posts Or Activity tabs. I could be away on vacation for a week on some sites and hit the New Posts tab and load page after page and see every post I missed in sequence while I was away.

Don't worry Steve this isn't a critical issue, just something we deal with.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The last thread is now 9:15 am..I will count them.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro

What isn't working correctly. How far back does it go

They just increased the number of posts shown when we press activity stream and "more activity" just shows the same posts again. This number is now too high to allow comfortable reading and reviewing.

In other audio forums every time we press "more activity" it just adds a reasonable number of posts back.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I just restarted Safari. No difference.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
They just increased the number of posts shown when we press activity stream and "more activity" just shows the same posts again. This number is now too high to allow comfortable reading and reviewing.

In other audio forums every time we press "more activity" it just adds a reasonable number of posts back.

I concur, but here it's not working like it used to. So, what can we do; Steve already did his best, a bunch of times.
Who here knows more about this stuff than anyone else? We know who. :b And that could be more complicated than simply adapt with what we got, and be thankful for all we have...each other :b ... and the ? of course.
______

By the way, the 150 posts now showing; they are showing in their entirety, kind of :cool:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes ~150 posts show. No more.

Hi Jim

As best as I read the system 150 is the max and this refreshes "every minute". As long as I know you are seeing 150

Let me go back and ask them how to get more but as I said my read is 150 is max. How far back do you want? This is why I keep asking people why don't you try the "New posts" button. Rather than clicking on the brown icon to the right which is the newest post shown, if you click on the brown icon to the left of the thread topic this will take you back to last post in that thread which you read!!!!

You can do this with every thread shown there. Try it. This is all I use and I have never once had an issue. This minor problem has taken hours out of my day today :( trying to get it right for everyone but as I see it 150 is the max. I will find out if there is a way for more.

BTW if you are comparing other sites are they running the identical vBulletin version??? If so then there must be a way. If not then there might be a way

Steve Williams

BTW, I have it set at 150 new posts per page. Are the other sites doing the same or are they doing the standard 30 per page? If so this might be all a brain fart and cause you to think you are seeing more because you are seeing more pages

so please check what version other sites are running and how many per page

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve
Maybe I am as confused as you. I am not sure I understand which tabs you are speaking of.
When I switch to this site, I see the following tabs to choose from.

What's Best Forum - Articles - What's New - Blogs - Donate

Below that I see
Forum Home - New Post - Private Messages-...........

If I choose the second line New Posts that row switches to :
Activity Stream - New Posts - New Articles - .........

If you choose New Posts from the second line you will not see all current activity, In fact without choosing Activity Stream all of these posts we are making on this subject do not show up.

The same information actually shows up if you select Whats New from the top line or Activity Stream from the second line (after choosing New Posts)

The What Brown tabs are you speaking of?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Steve, thanks for the efforts. The way it used to work here on WBF in the past, and still works on other sites, is that every time you hit More Activity it should just load and *append* 50 or so more posts at the end, as a continuous feed, until it reaches some hard limit (of say 1000).

What they have done now is to just load 150 fixed posts - which is fine I suppose but not much different than the "What's New" tab - but not what it used to be, or what it is just about elsewhere running vBulletin. BTW, I never thought this has anything to do with the users, storage capacity or anything else. This feature was lost right after one of the upgrades.

Steve Williams

Steve, thanks for the efforts. The way it used to work here on WBF in the past, and still works on other sites, is that every time you hit More Activity it should just load and *append* 50 or so more posts at the end, as a continuous feed, until it reaches some hard limit (of say 1000).

What they have done now is to just load 150 fixed posts - which is fine I suppose but not much different than the "What's New" tab - but not what it used to be, or what it is just about elsewhere running vBulletin. BTW, I never thought this has anything to do with the users, storage capacity or anything else. This feature was lost right after one of the upgrades.

I'm finally getting to the bottom of the problem. They have isolated the problem to template changes made in 2015 by a "former owner admin" of WBF which they feel has caused the problem. They will deal with it in the morning to undo the changes made unbeknownst to us as the tech they need to do this has left.

I hope to have a better resolution tomorrow.

This has truly been an entire day's work

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks, this makes much more technical sense - that it would be software related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing