Upgrade Question

geekboy

Jan 8, 2017
Long time lurker, first time poster!

With the current alpha line discounted pending new line around the corner (or so I understand), I see this as an opportunity to upgrade at a reasonable cost. Sigma and power conditioner products not in budget right now. I have alpha HC to PS8/Defender to alpha HC x 2 to my Bel Canto Mono Blocks - so I feel OK there. But my DAC and preamp don't have the same level of power cord quality (preamp has Venom HC and DAC has a cheap Isotek). In addition - I have good IC from preamp to amp (python zitron) but cheap IC between DAC and preamp (Audioquest Red River - I know!).

It seems that the forum here supports the notion of upgrading AC before IC...and with in mind my options are:

1) Alpha Digital to DAC and Alpha Analog to preamp (cheapest option and I almost pulled the trigger....) but I have read/heard/been told that the alpha HC is in fact superior to these others (best buy!) so I am instead considering....#2 below

2) Alpha HC to both preamp and DAC - a little more expensive but perhaps more flexible and better performance

3) Some combination of the above? DAC first?

4) Or should I upgrade the DAC to preamp IC first?

It's probably just a few hundred bucks to go all alpha HC (option 2) so if enthusiastically recommended I'd consider that. On the other hand, seems like the wise folks at Shunyata did in fact build these specific cables for these specific uses - so if sound quality not hugely different I'd go the digital/analog specific route and save up for a Denali :)

Thanks in advance for consideration of this newbie question!

P

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Paul,

Thank you for following up in e-mail. With CES just completed, its been difficult to make it to the forums on a regular basis.

I'm a big believer in taking care of power first. Signal cables are important to sound, but I would liken their impact to seasoning in cooking compared to a power system, which is foundational for audio/music/recording/medical systems. Get power wrong, and it affects everything else. John Stronczer, Bel Canto's amazing designer will likely tell you the same thing .

With the promotions available, I would lean toward the Alpha HC's if they are in budget. The only exception might be a digital source, such as a transport, server, or digital-output device. DAC's and pre-amps, while not high-current, are sensitive to impulse current and can be affected by gauge, connector quality, even termination alloys make a difference. For these reasons -- coupled with the volume of feedback we receive, I feel good recommending the Alpha HC for all but the pure-digital front end electronics.

Sometime toward the end of this month, or early February we will be shipping a new single-model range of Delta ($700), Alpha ($1500) and Sigma ($3000). Each of these models has a broad-band noise filter, massive gauge OFE (VTX) hollow core conductors and our best CopperConn connectors. This will make the selection process a great deal easier. At the current pricing, Venom, Alpha and Sigma range power cords are a great value, so there are options based on your system and budget.

Thanks, Paul. I hope this is of some help.

Best regards,

Grant

geekboy

Jan 8, 2017
Thanks Grant - that is very helpful.

I have ordered another alpha HC so I can have one for my preamp. I also found a second hand sigma digital so went for that too! Excited to see how this all sounds! I'll sit with this awhile - one of these days I'd love to try a Denali!

Thanks again for your prompt reply!

P

NordicBob

Jan 11, 2017
Hi Grant,

I currently have a Sigma digital power cord going to my DAC, an Ayre QX-5. With the Sigma line, do you now suggest that the HC Analog version of the Sigma would be a better choice for my DAC rather than the Digtal? I based my choice on the chart from your website when I bought my loom of Sigma cables over a year ago.

Thanks,

Bob

geekboy

Jan 8, 2017
Nordic Bob - not to speak for Grant here, by my OP was asking for advice within the alpha line (since they are on close out and, in particular, the alpha digital can be had pretty cheap - i.e. alpha HC vs alpha digital). My understanding of Grant's reply is that alpha HC is superior to alpha digital for the DAC. Grant also seems to recommend the alpha digital for only a digital front end like a CD player, streamer etc and not for DACs due to the fact that they have need for enough current for dynamic response. Same goes for preamps (HC better than analog). Suspect this is why they are doing away with this designations (along with simplicity) when the 4 new lines come out any day.

I have seen Caelin have a lengthy post on this site answering a question of which cord for the ever expanding supply of combo gear (pre/dacs, dad with passive out/volume etc). He was very clear that Sigma Digital was superior to the Alpha HC for these. I would assume that since the Sigma digital has a much larger gauge than the alpha digital (8 vs. 10) that it would best the alpha HC for your DAC. Others have found the Sigma digital superior and worth the expense and posted on here.

My should be arriving any day (snow delay!) and I plan to AB compare. Will post on here when I can. Curious to see what Grant has to say!

Hope this helps

P

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Bob,

The Sigma Digital would be ideal for any DAC. It has large enough gauge for amps but the CC! filter is calibrated differently considering is position in the system and the surrounding noise issues. In addition, feedback on Sigma digital power cords has been exceptional from customers and industry friends. I would recommend the Sigma Digital without hesitation. The NR versions of the products in each category have some materials and construction advantages, but that all comes in at prices that are higher. I believe the existing models represent great value. Likely, the NR models will come available for shipment within the next month or so.

Best regards,

Grant

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hi Bob,

The Sigma Digital would be ideal for any DAC. It has large enough gauge for amps but the CC! filter is calibrated differently considering is position in the system and the surrounding noise issues. In addition, feedback on Sigma digital power cords has been exceptional from customers and industry friends. I would recommend the Sigma Digital without hesitation. The NR versions of the products in each category have some materials and construction advantages, but that all comes in at prices that are higher. I believe the existing models represent great value. Likely, the NR models will come available for shipment within the next month or so.

Best regards,

Grant

Just to expand and clarify the difference between existing ALPHA and SIGMA Digital cables: SIGMA Digital and Analog cables have larger conductors than the ALPHA models but the primary performance difference is that the SIGMAs use VTX (hollow core) conductors. VTX has the advantage of eliminating so called skin effect and of having a lower inductive reactance compared to a normal cable of equal physical size. VTX conductors sound clearer with more resolution and superior coherency across the audio band.

One of advancements in the coming new line of DELTA NR, ALPHA NR and SIGMA NR CABLES is that ALL will use VTX conductor technology.

geekboy

Jan 8, 2017
Caelin - thanks so much for your input - really helpful!

Nordic Bob - my Sigma Digital arrived today. Wow. Totally murdered the Alpha HC by comparison. Very low noise floor and bass has excellent detail and texture. I'm loving it. Even my tone deaf girlfriend liked it better. I can definitely recommend the Sigma Digital - really a huge upgrade!

P

SR-1

Sep 3, 2016
London, United Kingdom
?..my Sigma Digital arrived today. Wow. Totally murdered the Alpha HC by comparison. Very low noise floor and bass has excellent detail and texture. I'm loving it. Even my tone deaf girlfriend liked it better. I can definitely recommend the Sigma Digital - really a huge upgrade!

P
My Alpha HC takes around two days to fully settle down after being moved. Is your Sigma still sounding as it first did? I'm curious to learn by how much the Sigma improves on the Alpha in the context of a dac-driven headphone system.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Recently purchased an Alpha HC.

I found it took two weeks to burn in. Long time but worthwhile. Don't get discouraged.

Coming around to the position that PC's can have more system sound impact than IC's.

NordicBob

Jan 11, 2017
Nordic Bob - my Sigma Digital arrived today. Wow. Totally murdered the Alpha HC by comparison. Very low noise floor and bass has excellent detail and texture. I'm loving it. Even my tone deaf girlfriend liked it better. I can definitely recommend the Sigma Digital - really a huge upgrade!

P

I'm glad to hear that you like it. I continue to use my Sigma Digital to my Ayre Qx-5 DAC and have found it to be the best sounding power cord that I tried with it.

NordicBob

Jan 11, 2017
Thank you Grant and Caelin for your replies and most helpful information to my question.

BTW, I have preordered your new upcoming Sigma Speaker cables from my dealer. Do you expect them to be out at the end of this month or the beginning of next month along with your new line of power cords? Thanks.

Best regards,

Bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing