Hidden Figures

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

saw this movie this weekend with my wife, friend Marty and his wife who were here for a weekend of listening

The incredible untold true story of Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer) & Mary Jackson (Janelle Monae)—brilliant African-American women working at NASA, who served as the brains behind one of the greatest operations in history: the launch of astronaut John Glenn into orbit. This stunning achievement galvanized the world and inspired generations to dream big.
Partner rating
PG
Expected
Release date unknown
Language
English
Actors
Taraji P. Henson Octavia Spencer Janelle Monáe Kevin Costner Kirsten Dunst Jim Parsons
Director
Theodore Melfi
Category
Drama

This movie in one simple word is "terrific"

The acting is superb and the story which was completely based on fact was one which was completely unknown to the 4 of us. This film will leave you with an uplifting feeling as it was wonderful to watch. Not Best Picture by any shake of the imagination but worth the price of admission for reminiscing some very important American history at the dawn of the space age.

This is also the type of movie that one buys to put in their library. A real treasure and highly recommended. I even enjoyed Kevin Costner in his role however the three stars who shined were Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monáe. You won't be falling asleep nor will you checking your watch. It's that good

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
We saw it last night and it was TERRIFIC. Why did it take all these years to tell this amazing story about these amazing women?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We are going to see it tomorrow. Have been looking forward to it.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Looked like a money grab to me, maybe I'll catch it on TV or something. (sometimes money grabs end up being good)

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I don't get the previous response at all. A money grab? If you want to be real cynical, all movies are money grabs, as are all forms of entertainment.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The trailer came out nearly as the same time it was released. That seems to happen with movies made as money grabs in that they play on some bent, like a political concern or such. "Miss Sloane" is a recent example of a money grab movie, as it also came out real fast but isn't accurate at all to the political subject (nor meant to be, according to the director) and prays on people's political preferences. Another example is similarly named movies to an awaited release, or repacking to make a dvd/bluray appear that it might be an awaited release but is not.

With this movie they're making out a few/one to be the "hero" but in reality there were like 300 hero's that did the math. So it's no stretch to look at the political side and say it has a bent for that fact, since it de-focused from the reality of whom was invovled and refocused on a more political themed group.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

I post this one because the first one from Steve's post said this: "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."
Once in a while things like that can happen; youtube being fussy.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The trailer came out nearly as the same time it was released. That seems to happen with movies made as money grabs in that they play on some bent, like a political concern or such. "Miss Sloane" is a recent example of a money grab movie, as it also came out real fast but isn't accurate at all to the political subject (nor meant to be, according to the director) and prays on people's political preferences. Another example is similarly named movies to an awaited release, or repacking to make a dvd/bluray appear that it might be an awaited release but is not.

With this movie they're making out a few/one to be the "hero" but in reality there were like 300 hero's that did the math. So it's no stretch to look at the political side and say it has a bent for that fact, since it de-focused from the reality of whom was invovled and refocused on a more political themed group.

You must not go to the movies much. The Trailer has been out for about 4 months.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I go to some things. Also most major blockbusters start around a year in advance. None of that changes the fact that they made story about 300, about one person who's a political statement. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, in fact the "money grab" aspect I'm talking about might make it a good movie, but it makes it very far from the truth. I'm just not into pseudo-history to fit agendas.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I go to some things. Also most major blockbusters start around a year in advance. None of that changes the fact that they made story about 300, about one person who's a political statement. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, in fact the "money grab" aspect I'm talking about might make it a good movie, but it makes it very far from the truth. I'm just not into pseudo-history to fit agendas.

All movies are pseudo-history and edited for a given perspective.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's not a documentary. And I beg to differ. I don't think Rocky 1-6 are pseudo-history... or Star Wars, etc. And good documentaries don't have this big of inaccuracy.

I know some movie will be made based on true events, but not portrayed entirely accurate. I just take beef when it's political in nature or woefully inaccurate (in this case, yes). Rewriting history for political reasons is something I'm not ok with.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What points are you trying to make? Don't you think interesting that so many women , black women , never get the chance to be recognized for their immense contribution to mankind? This movie ... err... "money-grab" from your interesting and likely unique perspective, is long overdue. Will go see it as soon as I'm stateside.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Frantz you're basically stating exactly what bugs me. Because you're not familiar with historical accounts of black women doing important things, you're will to accept a rather distorted version just because you want someone to have recognition. Given that that were around 300 people not just a couple black women, there was probably about every ethnicity you can think of working on it. And that I believe actually includes some Nazi scientists (not in the movie). It's not like any of us really heard of any Nasa workers, except astronaut (including Mae Jemison). I would suggest reading the book if you're really interested. Besides, did you know Taraji P. Henson actually hates the movie being labelled a "black film" ?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wow......

One of the best movies I have seen this year for pure enjoyment and a wonderful story. If I come out of a movie smiling at the end then I have been truly entertained rather than trying to nitpick the concerns.

Folsom, did you have a bad day or just not feeling yourself. If we all avoided movies for the reason you mentioned the movie business would be dead IMHO

FWIW I would say that close to 70% of movies now are all based on historic fact.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I agree with Steve Hidden Figures along with Eye In The Sky were two of the more enjoyable films we saw this year. Good acting. A good story.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Saw it yesterday. Definitely worth seeing.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frantz you're basically stating exactly what bugs me. Because you're not familiar with historical accounts of black women doing important things, you're will to accept a rather distorted version just because you want someone to have recognition. Given that that were around 300 people not just a couple black women, there was probably about every ethnicity you can think of working on it. And that I believe actually includes some Nazi scientists (not in the movie). It's not like any of us really heard of any Nasa workers, except astronaut (including Mae Jemison). I would suggest reading the book if you're really interested. Besides, did you know Taraji P. Henson actually hates the movie being labelled a "black film" ?

Folsom

The redeeming thing in your post is that you remind us that there was a book on the subject... Else you came across a little... off.. Good day to you. I will go see the movies ASAP

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Wow......

One of the best movies I have seen this year for pure enjoyment and a wonderful story. If I come out of a movie smiling at the end then I have been truly entertained rather than trying to nitpick the concerns.

Folsom, did you have a bad day or just not feeling yourself. If we all avoided movies for the reason you mentioned the movie business would be dead IMHO

FWIW I would say that close to 70% of movies now are all based on historic fact.

..Folsom blues perhaps

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing