VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Good link micro .

Kharma on lamm , would have loved to hear the exquisite midi grand on the lamm ml 3 , i ve heard lamm on only 1 occasion yet ;)

Havent seen a tapemachine yet , seems the industry is more interested in shiny cables and boxes then pushing the envelop ;) on natural soundreproduction.
Ah well digital is conveniant .
The new levinson product inerts look at least real levinson again:D

Ps nagra and wilson set up has the tiny player

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is just great...only 2.57mm thin: http://www.areadvd.de/tests/ces-201...-tv-und-neuer-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-von-lg/

It has everything, Dolby Atmos soundbar, DolbyVision Ready for top calibrated picture and sound. ...As the Hollywood directors and movie studios intended. Dolby is alive in Hollywood.

Except, 3D is gone! That's right; no more 3D in the 2017 models, even in their top tiers models, none! This is a new world we're in, 4K, 8K la la land...

I've been reading (I've got time), and someday, theaterphile people (picture&sound), are going to be able to plug a new UHD OLED TV with a new UHD BR player together with a new HDMI cable, and connected to a new pre/pro (receiver), and they'll get the best picture and sound quality from 4K Blu-ray discs. Forget 3D Blu-ray discs because studios are not making money with them, and they don't even bother to put 3D immersive sound (Dolby Atmos/DTS:X) to go along with 3D immersive picture.
I'm going to say it: This doesn't make any sense @ all!

I'm all for 4K and 8K, but right now they need HDMI cables that can do the job for 4K front projectors, they need to have a simplicity to set a 4K TV with a 4K BR player without the need of a 4K Phd in video engineering. Hey, 4K has been with us for three years plus. And what do we mainly get? ...Headaches worst than 3D. By that I mean to get the full 4K movie experience the Hollywood movie industry needs to be able to talk with 4K product manufacturers. I'm sure few people are able to manage, with the help of experts.

A Blu-ray disc, on average, has two layers for 50GB capacity (picture, sound, extras, 2D). And then for best 3D picture you have another dedicated 3D BR disc with also 50GB capacity. Some 3D BR discs include both the 2D and 3D version on the same disc. But in my experience, generally, a separate 3D BR disc is preferable...eg.; PIXAR Disney. But Disney for the last couple years here in North America is working in mysterious ways...with 3D being now a distant thought, when they used to be big 3D supporters. Disney is singing a different tune now, And they yet have to get on the UHD and Atmos (dts:X) bandwagon...most likely this 2017 year.
* A 4K/HDR Blu-ray disc has 66GB capacity, only 16GB more than BR @ 50GB. One or two have 100GB (three layers).
? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray
I think they are not ready to have full quality 4K Dolby Vision BR discs. Hey, they couldn't include 3D with 4K; that right there tells the story.
The lasers have to be able to read one, two, three layers from discs. If more than that the Japanese tech people have to work harder...my guess.
In this aspect I can see how behind we are from progressing...
_____

And Dolby Vision is going to make its apparition now; they said that it's the best.

OLED (LG, Sony, Panasonic) TVs they look gorgeous and they're the best. LG has a good foundation. Samsung is different; that's their choice...good luck.

HDMI version 2.1 was just introduced (for 8K and with 48Gbps transfer conduit).
Wow, that is high transfer rate ? http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx

Who here has a 4K Dolby Vision Ready front projector or large 4k Dolby Vision Ready OLED TV? Because you want this to be on the edge of the latest and fastest and best picture/audio technology in your home. ...To be fully entertained in the best way possible.

* Imagine, just for one very brief moment, if the next generation of turntables were Dolby Vision ready/certified.
Ok, snap out of it now; I said "brief" moment...llike a fraction of a second's particle.

Here's what I think: A nice large UHD (only 4K) Dolby Vision ready OLED TV (85" diagonal), you won't find tomorrow morning @ your local video store for below $10,000
And few people who are going to buy one are going to play DVDs and watch cable TV on them.
And in 2018 she'll probably be obsolete. @ that price, you want future-proof with upgradeable software and hardware.

2.57mm is very thin by the way; check your ruler. That's one quarter of a centimeter! In one inch there are 2.54 centimeters. ...So, a tenth of an inch.

We need 4K Blu-ray calibration and setup discs...with HDR10, HLG HDR, Technicolor HDR, and Dolby Vision: http://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html
But Dolby Vision is not here yet on Blu-ray...coming up though...I think this spring.

So, do you want to stay behind the new vision with your old 3D Blu-rays and DVDs or do you want to support Dolby Hollywood with their own Vision and invest your money with the new 4K OLED Dolby Vision Ready TVs so that Dolby can collect their royalties?
It's just too bad that they skipped 4K 3D. I don't know if 3D is ever going to come back in another life of the future. Only without 3D glasses.

I'm just shooting my own thoughts here, share yours too. But there is no doubt, OLED I want in big, and with real 4K material, the best.
Some members here are already invested in; but this ain't nothin' compared to what's comin'...
_____

Bonus:

? http://money.ca/news/2017/01/08/lg-...nors-for-lg-signature-series-w7-wallpaper-tv/

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing