The Day the page has turned for digital - 1/5/2017

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
This MQA thing is going to be good IMO. But is does throw up another layer of chaos in the already complex paths to perfect (or better) digital audio. I was close to pulling the trigger on a DSD complaint DAC, but now think I will stay on NOS Redbook and stream 96K. Yes, DACs that can apply all 3 of the processes may well sound better, but if by applying only the first process it is an improvement on my already good Redbook sound, I may well stay on that.

IMO it will come down to really good DAC designs making the most of the full MQA process to stay at the top of what is possible and get us closer to the master tape. Darko has reviewed MQA and already, even though he liked it, said he preferred the sound from the Aqua La Scala on Redbook NOS. i.e. it still obviously needs a decent DAC design as well as the new process to extract the data and leverage the advantages. Pretty obvious I guess.

I am curious how an NOS DAC will sound with MQA at 96k. I may be in the minority here, but I seem to prefer NOS and non filtered DACs. I may be convinced by the full MQA processing after hearing it. Until then, I feel I may stay with MQA on old tech NOS and at 96k. But I am open being proved wrong, only a demo would do that.

In the big MQA interview on computer audiophiles website, it seems MQA boys are saying any up sampling is time smearing the data. It is buried in there, almost a footnote.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/694-comprehensive-q-mqa-s-bob-stuart/#anchor20

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
This MQA thing is going to be good IMO.

But is does throw up another layer of chaos in the already complex paths to perfect (or better) digital audio. I was close to pulling the trigger on a DSD complaint DAC, but now think I will stay on NOS Redbook and stream 96K. Yes, DACs that can apply all 3 of the processes may well sound better, but if by applying only the first process it is an improvement on my already good Redbook sound, I may well stay on that.

IMO it will come down to really good DAC designs making the most of the full MQA process to stay at the top of what is possible and get us closer to the master tape. Darko has reviewed MQA and already, even though he liked it, said he preferred the sound from the Aqua La Scala on Redbook NOS. i.e. it still obviously needs a decent DAC design as well as the new process to extract the data and leverage the advantages. Pretty obvious I guess.

I am curious how an NOS DAC will sound with MQA at 96k. I may be in the minority here, but I seem to prefer NOS and non filtered DACs. I may be convinced by the full MQA processing after hearing it. Until then, I feel I may stay with MQA on old tech NOS and at 96k. But I am open being proved wrong, only a demo would do that.

In the big MQA interview on computer audiophiles website, it seems MQA boys are saying any up sampling is time smearing the data. It is buried in there, almost a footnote.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/694-comprehensive-q-mqa-s-bob-stuart/#anchor20

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing