The Day the page has turned for digital - 1/5/2017

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Perhaps in future MQA software decoders there will be a drop-down list of DACs to choose from so that the software can perform the needed "time corrections" for your particular non-MQA DAC. Then you should get the full MQA sound-quality potential.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
http://tidal.com/us/masters

I'm looking forward to this. :)

For the life of me I cannot get this page. Downloaded Google Chrome, Adobe Flash, already pay Tidal $20 a month, emailed (only way of freekin communication) them for help and still get no "Masters". I click on "What's New" and only get recent releases (Featured). And click "Albums" and get only my albums. This on my MacBook Pro.

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Have you installed the desktop app? You won't get the Masters otherwise (unless you have an MQA DAC).

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
For the life of me I cannot get this page. Downloaded Google Chrome, Adobe Flash, already pay Tidal $20 a month, emailed (only way of freekin communication) them for help and still get no "Masters". I click on "What's New" and only get recent releases (Featured). And click "Albums" and get only my albums. This on my MacBook Pro.
While I'm a Windows PC user, I believe I can be of some assistance. Currently the "Masters" heading to access MQA albums is only shown on the Tidal desktop app which is available at http://tidal.com/us/download . Once you download and install the Mac version of the software, login and you should then see the Masters heading within the Tidal app (you may have to scroll down to the second row of headings to see it.) Once you select it and "view all" you should be able to see the MQA albums displayed. If you then mark any albums you wish to hear as a favorite by clicking on the star icon within the album cover those selections will then show up as favorite albums under My Music in whatever other app you use while logged into your account (i.e. via Chrome, or another product specific app with access to Tidal.) Hope this helps, let us know either way. In time the Masters should become directly available in other apps, and Tidal should somehow visually designate MQA albums to differentiate them from other versions. MQA albums should also be made searchable by tagging a chosen field to uniquely identify them.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Have you installed the desktop app? You won't get the Masters otherwise (unless you have an MQA DAC).

Thanks and yes I have. Tidal help is of no help. I have downloaded Tidal app 3x to no avail.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Thanks and yes I have. Tidal help is of no help. I have downloaded Tidal app 3x to no avail.

I had a similar problem and succeeded by going to tidal.com and downloading the Desktop version and not the version from the App Store which may be the iOS version.
So, to get MQA without the unfolding but at least a 24bit version you add the album to your library as has been mentioned. It then shows up on your iPad within Roon, for me at least, and I can then play the 24 bit version rather than the 16 bit version. Only trouble is most of the titles are not interesting to me ie. Fleetwood Mac or Phil Colin's.
The few that are I already have as hi res downloads.
Good luck with your endeavours.
Blue58

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I had a similar problem and succeeded by going to tidal.com and downloading the Desktop version and not the version from the App Store which may be the iOS version.
So, to get MQA without the unfolding but at least a 24bit version you add the album to your library as has been mentioned. It then shows up on your iPad within Roon, for me at least, and I can then play the 24 bit version rather than the 16 bit version. Only trouble is most of the titles are not interesting to me ie. Fleetwood Mac or Phil Colin's.
The few that are I already have as hi res downloads.
Good luck with your endeavours.
Blue58

Please note. When we say the Tidal ap we are not talking about the one for your phone or iPad. There is a Tidal Ap for both Windows and OSX computers. You download this from the Tidal website. This is the one that you need to use for MQA.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Please note. When we say the Tidal ap we are not talking about the one for your phone or iPad. There is a Tidal Ap for both Windows and OSX computers. You download this from the Tidal website. This is the one that you need to use for MQA.
The app for OSX is what I downloaded to no avail.:mad:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
And just for completeness, you are a Hifi subscriber, right?

Yes, of course. And now I have 4 Tidal downloads from PC+MAC. And this on the bottom:

* Currently lossless streaming with our Web player is supported in Chrome only,

** Currently TIDAL Masters audio is supported via our desktop application only.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Yes, of course. And now I have 4 Tidal downloads from PC+MAC. And this on the bottom:

* Currently lossless streaming with our Web player is supported in Chrome only,

** Currently TIDAL Masters audio is supported via our desktop application only.

Sorry, I have seen that notation but it is not applicable for my application as I am using a MQA capable DAC.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Sorry, I have seen that notation but it is not applicable for my application as I am using a MQA capable DAC.

Does it matter what DAC one is using with a MacBook Pro? I am downloading Tidal from my MBP.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Does it matter what DAC one is using with a MacBook Pro? I am downloading Tidal from my MBP.

My MacBook Pro is not connected to my system. Tidal is streamed via SooLoos to my 808v6. I just use the Tidal OSX ap to identify what albums are MQA in the Masters section (or from the Roon spreadsheet) then go and select them in Sooloos.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
^ My point is I can't even access the Masters section. It just is not there after, before, during any and all the downloads. When I select "Whats New" it is not even remotely seen/there.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
^ My point is I can't even access the Masters section. It just is not there after, before, during any and all the downloads. When I select "Whats New" it is not even remotely seen/there.

I know this is simplistic but:

Does Tidal show in your applications folder?
If so, when you open it from your applications or launch folder does it show you logged in?
If you are logged in when it opens you "should" see Masters listed under the "albums" section which is the third on down, after Featured and Tracks. I will be the last tab under albums following New, Recommended, Top 20 then Masters.

Don't know why you don't see it. The Ap doesn't need Chrome to see Masters, I guess just to connect your USB connection.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

it really sounds as if you aren't seeing (using) the desktop app. What you describe is what I see when I just log in to tidal.com, not when I use the app.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
it really sounds as if you aren't seeing (using) the desktop app. What you describe is what I see when I just log in to tidal.com, not when I use the app.

You are right. It was in my app. folder, but I did not double click it to download. Thanks everyone for your help!:cool:
Now to figure out using MQA with my Audivarna+

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
You are right. It was in my app. folder, but I did not double click it to download. Thanks everyone for your help!:cool:
Now to figure out using MQA with my Audivarna+

..it'll work with A+3.0. Wait till June. .

On another issue: you and I both had wadia s7i, not sure if yours was also gnsc like mine. Do you ever miss it?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
..it'll work with A+3.0. Wait till June. .

On another issue: you and I both had wadia s7i, not sure if yours was also gnsc like mine. Do you ever miss it?

Yes, I also had the GNSC s7i. Great cdp, but (in my system) no match for my ModWright Elyse DAC w/modded Oppo 103 transport. I thought a source had to be ss, but ModWright changed that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing