The Day the page has turned for digital - 1/5/2017

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The site Highresaudio.com has been selling MQA files for awhile now. For the most part the selection has been pretty poor with only a few titles that interested me.

I really wasn't expecting the streamed Tidal versions to sound as good as those I downloaded in the past. A couple of tracks I have tried today have stunned me with their SQ. On the Emmylou Harris/Rodney Crowell album title "The Traveling Kind" is a track "Weight of the World" just eliminated the walls in my room.

This is the kind of sound I am getting on several of these streamed MQA files....I am shocked at how good they sound.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The site Highresaudio.com has been selling MQA files for awhile now. For the most part the selection has been pretty poor with only a few titles that interested me.

I really wasn't expecting the streamed Tidal versions to sound as good as those I downloaded in the past. A couple of tracks I have tried today have stunned me with their SQ. On the Emmylou Harris/Rodney Crowell album title "The Traveling Kind" is a track "Weight of the World" just eliminated the walls in my room.

Nice! (and thanks for the reply).

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
This is the kind of sound I am getting on several of these streamed MQA files....I am shocked at how good they sound.

I am glad that Warner has given us MQA on newer releases and not just the old Led Zeppelin, Doors....... I "think" these newer albums show off the technology to a greater extent than the old stuff.

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
I am not against MQA......if it sounds better.....then great! BUT what about HQplayer and upsampling to DSD512. Most everyone who has seriously investigated and heard this says it makes every file you have sound better.....assuming great high powered computer...low jitter interface and great DSD512 DAC. This is way more universal to give good sound from any source than merely playing a better file. Of course, you could play the MQA files upsampled as well. Has anyone listened to a non upsampled MQA file versus a normal file of the same music upsampled via super HQPlayer DSD512 versus an MQA file upsampled to DSD512? If not, maybe you might have your mind blown.

So, what makes the most difference: MQA or HQplayer? HQplayer is more universal....you can upsample any file for better sound.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I am not against MQA......if it sounds better.....then great! BUT what about HQplayer and upsampling to DSD512. Most everyone who has seriously investigated and heard this says it makes every file you have sound better.....assuming great high powered computer...low jitter interface and great DSD512 DAC. This is way more universal to give good sound from any source than merely playing a better file. Of course, you could play the MQA files upsampled as well. Has anyone listened to a non upsampled MQA file versus a normal file of the same music upsampled via super HQPlayer DSD512 versus an MQA file upsampled to DSD512? If not, maybe you might have your mind blown.

So, what makes the most difference: MQA or HQplayer? HQplayer is more universal....you can upsample any file for better sound.

Just how big is a DSD512 file? I don't want to buy a 1TB drive for every CD. LOL.

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
HQplayer upsamples whatever file you have to DSD512 and sends it to your DAC. It does not need a DSD512 file.....it is a converter. This has nothing to do with storage. You just play whatever file you have an it makes it sound better....assuming great Windows 10 computer.....low jitter interface and great DSD512 DAC.

The problem is that most people have bought servers that cannot run HQPlayer. DSD512 upsampling via HQplayer requires more horsepower than most expensive servers can do....plus it really sounds best run on Windows 10. However, you can build a serious Windows 10 music computer for use with Roon and HQplayer for about $1000. So this is not expensive. But then you would have to sell your Lumin, Aurender and other expensive not as good sounding things....he he. It is really too bad this software was not developed years ago and then we would not have all these "other" weird softwares and servers that cost more and some say sound worse. Of course, for you rich people you can buy the $16,000 Windows 10 computer from SGM if you want even better sound than the "make your own $1000 PC". But you would still have to sell your toy that will not work with HQplayer.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I lined up a squeezebox touch on one laptop and usb to spdif converter on another. Both go into my dirac box and I can switch inputs instantly and seamlessly

At any rate I cued up Avishai cohens From darkness master , roon runs the SBT and I was using the tidal desktop ap for the usb to spdif (on another laptop)

So I could instantly flip from mqa folded (24/48 touch) to MQA unfolded

There is a staggeringly vast difference between the 2 identical pieces of music- the unfolded one is stunning , open , transients are better , bass definition superb , sense of the artists in space is enhanced. Musical
Flipping back to the folded version was a disappointment compare

So the software decode in their desktop ap seems to do what it says on the tin..
i have listened to 15 or so mqa masters...

I was a bit skeptical about MQA , now im not.

What a wonderful new years surprise and it costs me nothing , Im having great fun trying the masters and revisiting some old stuff ..Aqualung!!.. just waiting for Roon 1.3 which will do the DSD thing..I'll try that too

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I am also in awe of MQA. I was initially excited about it when I first read about it but became skeptical afterwards (perhaps it was contagious as most people here seemed to be skeptical) so it's really a very nice (and appreciated) surprise.

I find MQA to sound very analog-like. I can't wait for Roon 1.3. Yay 2017!

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
All, I agree with those who have reported that the Masters versions, even without MQA decoding DACs, sound better than the previous versions of the album from Tidal. Question: since the only way to get the Masters versions is with the Tidal Desktop app, what set-up parameters are you using in "Midi Set-up" on OS/X platforms? 24/96? Trying to get Core Audio out of the way as much as possible. Thanks

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
MQA is significantly "lossy" above 24/96, so I'm not sure if there will be a real advantage to the nominally higher resolution

You can probably Google it, there have been threads at computeraudiophile and SH forums. Plus just common sense and a smattering of knowledge; MQA files are significantly smaller than FLAC 24/96, there have even been questions about whether the MQA 24/96 is truly lossless, but in any case Meridian's own description of MQA (the highly technical multi-part one linked in the SH Forums discussion) acknowledges that 24/192 is data lossy.

I think such an important subject can not be addressed by a generic google answer. MQA is an alternate psychoacoustic based format that claims to analyze the original file and repair existing damage created by ADC implementations in the encoding. It can not be judged just by bit count. IMHO the debate is similar to PCM/DCS - it must be also subjectively evaluated, with the intrinsic complexity and time delay that such approach needs. No immediate forum absolutes answers ...

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
All, I agree with those who have reported that the Masters versions, even without MQA decoding DACs, sound better than the previous versions of the album from Tidal. Question: since the only way to get the Masters versions is with the Tidal Desktop app, what set-up parameters are you using in "Midi Set-up" on OS/X platforms? 24/96? Trying to get Core Audio out of the way as much as possible. Thanks
I figured it out. If you knew what I'm about to write, ok slow guy (me) caught up!
Open the Tidal desktop app for OSX. On the left of the screen select settings. With your DAC connected via USB select streaming. HIFI/MASTER should be selected. Your DAC should appear under "Sound Output". Click the gear next to your DAC. Select Exclusive mode and force volume. When I do this, the input bit-rate is showing up on my DAC as 96K, 88.2K according to the MASTER I play. No software upsampling in Core Audio. Problem solved.

MASTER files sound great! Don't miss Natalie Merchant, "San Andreas Fault". Whoa!

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I do not use Tidal although it is available to me with Audirvana. I gave been reading about this topic on other sites and find it interesting as some are reporting that the MQA masters appear to be totally different masters than the 16/44.1 counterparts. One key way to tell is that the tracks are of different lengths. Different masters will sound different. A new version of Audirvana is scheduled for release before the end of the month which incorporates the same software for MQA as on Tidal. I plan to download it and grab a couple of MQA titles on highresaudio.com and give then a listen.

MegaHz

Jan 11, 2017
I figured it out. If you knew what I'm about to write, ok slow guy (me) caught up!
Open the Tidal desktop app for OSX. On the left of the screen select settings. With your DAC connected via USB select streaming. HIFI/MASTER should be selected. Your DAC should appear under "Sound Output". Click the gear next to your DAC. Select Exclusive mode and force volume. When I do this, the input bit-rate is showing up on my DAC as 96K, 88.2K according to the MASTER I play. No software upsampling in Core Audio. Problem solved.

Sadly, this doesn't work with either of my Mac setups. I will either get no sound or tracks playing extraordinarily fast or sloooow. I have Mavericks on one machine and El Capitan on the other. Are you using different OS perhaps? I've run out of answers.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think such an important subject can not be addressed by a generic google answer. MQA is an alternate psychoacoustic based format that claims to analyze the original file and repair existing damage created by ADC implementations in the encoding. It can not be judged just by bit count. IMHO the debate is similar to PCM/DCS - it must be also subjectively evaluated, with the intrinsic complexity and time delay that such approach needs. No immediate forum absolutes answers ...

I agree that once you get to 24/96, other factors than bit count will become more important to the ultimate sound. I very much doubt that being able to play at 24/192 vs. 24/96 accounts for the improvement reported using an MQA-DAC vs. only the Tidal desktop app with a non-MQA DAC.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Sadly, this doesn't work with either of my Mac setups. I will either get no sound or tracks playing extraordinarily fast or sloooow. I have Mavericks on one machine and El Capitan on the other. Are you using different OS perhaps? I've run out of answers.

MegaHz, I am running OS/X 10.12.2 Sierra on my MacBook Pro. While it is difficult to analyze your set up remotely here are a few thoughts. First, make sure that your DAC is selected for sound output. If it is not, this would explain why you get no sound. Close all applications and open System Preferences -> Sound. With your DAC connected via USB you should see it listed and it should have the "speaker" icon next to it to signal that systems sounds will be played through that device. If this is not the case, highlight your DAC and use the gear symbol at the bottom to select system sounds played through this device. Sample rate conversion issues are usually the cause of slow or fast playback. Next open Audio Midi Setup. Select your DAC. On the right, set the format to 2 channel /24 bit/ 96k from the drop down box. Close both applications. Open Tidal and go thru the steps I documented in Tidal settings. Exclusive mode checked is really important. Hopefully this helps you.

MegaHz

Jan 11, 2017
MegaHz, I am running OS/X 10.12.2 Sierra on my MacBook Pro. While it is difficult to analyze your set up remotely here are a few thoughts. First, make sure that your DAC is selected for sound output. If it is not, this would explain why you get no sound. Close all applications and open System Preferences -> Sound. With your DAC connected via USB you should see it listed and it should have the "speaker" icon next to it to signal that systems sounds will be played through that device. If this is not the case, highlight your DAC and use the gear symbol at the bottom to select system sounds played through this device. Sample rate conversion issues are usually the cause of slow or fast playback. Next open Audio Midi Setup. Select your DAC. On the right, set the format to 2 channel /24 bit/ 96k from the drop down box. Close both applications. Open Tidal and go thru the steps I documented in Tidal settings. Exclusive mode checked is really important. Hopefully this helps you.

Thanks. Your detailed instructions matched what I was doing. So I updated to Sierra 10.12 on the MacBook Air. Long story short I have Tidal Masters working properly through the USB DAC now! Its a very finicky process but I am locked in now. Hoping it holds. Thanks again.

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
If you are using the Software decoding of the MQA Desktop Application (Windows/Mac) you are indeed getting 96/24 MQA.

When using Tidal MQA software decoding, you are only getting a partial MQA decode. As in not the full MQA sound quality. This is at any sample rate. Bob Stuart explains it here. When using MQA software decode, it does not know the filter characteristics for your non-MQA DAC, so it can't "time correct" those filters.

For now, on Tidal, one needs a hardware MQA decoder to hear the full SQ potential.

A "partial MQA decode" will still sound better, however.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
HQplayer upsamples whatever file you have to DSD512 and sends it to your DAC. It does not need a DSD512 file.....it is a converter. This has nothing to do with storage. You just play whatever file you have an it makes it sound better....assuming great Windows 10 computer.....low jitter interface and great DSD512 DAC.

The problem is that most people have bought servers that cannot run HQPlayer. DSD512 upsampling via HQplayer requires more horsepower than most expensive servers can do....plus it really sounds best run on Windows 10. However, you can build a serious Windows 10 music computer for use with Roon and HQplayer for about $1000. So this is not expensive. But then you would have to sell your Lumin, Aurender and other expensive not as good sounding things....he he. It is really too bad this software was not developed years ago and then we would not have all these "other" weird softwares and servers that cost more and some say sound worse. Of course, for you rich people you can buy the $16,000 Windows 10 computer from SGM if you want even better sound than the "make your own $1000 PC". But you would still have to sell your toy that will not work with HQplayer.

SGM does indeed work with HQP. In fact Jussi the HQP designer consulted with the SGM people. SGM runs Roon and HQP in their stripped down version of Win10.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Same here. Please let us know if you get one of MSB Dacs with the MSB MQA USB input installed :) I'm considering the Analog DAC myself in the future.

I sent my Select II USB module to MSB yesterday to be upgraded to the MQA version. I should have it back in the next week or two.

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
When using Tidal MQA software decoding, you are only getting a partial MQA decode. As in not the full MQA sound quality. This is at any sample rate. Bob Stuart explains it here. When using MQA software decode, it does not know the filter characteristics for your non-MQA DAC, so it can't "time correct" those filters.

For now, on Tidal, one needs a hardware MQA decoder to hear the full SQ potential.

A "partial MQA decode" will still sound better, however.

Should someone have an non-MQA DAC featuring a soft slope digital digital filter option, I suggest selecting that option when playing software decoded MQA streams. While any pre-existing soft filter setting is unlikely to exactly match the characteristics of an MQA specified playback filter, it should come much closer than would an sharp slope (brickwall) filter setting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing