Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.56.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 4.56.50 PM.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 1,037
Last edited:

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I'm with you Mdp632. Going to give it a try now via the USB port on MacBook Pro to my DAC and see what it sounds like. I don't have an MQA capable DAC but curious to see what it sounds like.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I'm with you Mdp632. Going to give it a try now via the USB port on MacBook Pro to my DAC and see what it sounds like. I don't have an MQA capable DAC but curious to see what it sounds like.

I've been doing some listening on what I have right now just a MacBook Pro with a audioquest dragon fly black portable USB dac. Which isn't mqa but a firmware upgrade has been announced as well today.

Using my Audeze headphones this is much higher resolution than the 16/44 tidal cd quality.

This technology has legs and a future imho. For the first time we are now easily able to stream high resolution audio.

Hopefully we will see the floodgates open now in terms of content.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Apparently if you have the Tidal app and a DAC that does 24/96 PCM, you get a decoded file without needing an MQA DAC?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I am using non MQA 24/96 Dacs and streaming the MQA files through an Aurender N10 and there is a substantial increase in SQ vs. the same albums that are non MQA.....in my system it is not subtle and I am totally surprised and appreciative of this new path that seems to have opened up....quite something in my opinion and this is without an MQA DAC at the moment.

Previously I have been VERY skeptical of MQA, but after experiencing what I have experienced with these first set of titles available on Tidal in my system I am now "a believer".

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I am using non MQA 24/96 Dacs and streaming the MQA files through an Aurender N10 and there is a substantial increase in SQ vs. the same albums that are non MQA.....in my system it is not subtle and I am totally surprised and appreciative of this new path that seems to have opened up....quite something in my opinion and this is without an MQA DAC at the moment.

Previously I have been VERY skeptical of MQA, but after experiencing what I have experienced with these first set of titles available on Tidal in my system I am now "a believer".

Same here. Please let us know if you get one of MSB Dacs with the MSB MQA USB input installed :) I'm considering the Analog DAC myself in the future.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Same here. Please let us know if you get one of MSB Dacs with the MSB MQA USB input installed :) I'm considering the Analog DAC myself in the future.

They have the final beta versions of the new MQA USB module out at CES, it will be available soon. I have to get the new modules for the Select II and Analog DAC of which we use both.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
MQA is significantly "lossy" above 24/96, so I'm not sure if there will be a real advantage to the nominally higher resolution

Where did you see that? I've been studying MQA for months and intended to start yet another thread on it, but I missed that detail...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Where did you see that? I've been studying MQA for months and intended to start yet another thread on it, but I missed that detail...

You can probably Google it, there have been threads at computeraudiophile and SH forums. Plus just common sense and a smattering of knowledge; MQA files are significantly smaller than FLAC 24/96, there have even been questions about whether the MQA 24/96 is truly lossless, but in any case Meridian's own description of MQA (the highly technical multi-part one linked in the SH Forums discussion) acknowledges that 24/192 is data lossy.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm now listening to MQA decoded (via the Tidal desktop app) and agree that it sounds very good.

Now I just need the new version of Roon (1.3) with software MQA decoding... or even better, dCS to deliver an update to decode in hardware.

Very exciting!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The problem now is keeping up with the albums that are on the Masters list on the Tidal desktop app.....130 albums yesterday over 400 right now.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The problem now is keeping up with the albums that are on the Masters list on the Tidal desktop app.....130 albums yesterday over 400 right now.

Are you referring to the Tidal folks or you? :)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Ian, I'm referring to me keeping up with the Tidal folks that seem to be updating their site with new available MQA albums faster than I can absorb them into my favorites on Aurender.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian, I'm referring to me keeping up with the Tidal folks that seem to be updating their site with new available MQA albums faster than I can absorb them into my favorites on Aurender.

I thought that's what you meant... but that's a GOOD problem to have. ;)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I thought that's what you meant... but that's a GOOD problem to have. ;)

I know, I literally feel like I am in shock, with this all of a sudden floodgate of MQA albums and they mostly sound great......and that's without a MQA DAC.....it all has me stunned, very unexpected.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
The count is up to around 400 and with a impressive diversity in genre. So far those that I have sampled via Tidal seem to be sound as good as the MQA albums I had downloaded in the past.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The count is up to around 400 and with a impressive diversity in genre. So far those that I have sampled via Tidal seem to be sound as good as the MQA albums I had downloaded in the past.

Hey Jim,

I didn't know one could purchase/download MQA files. I assume these only benefit you if you have the hardware decoding? (I assume you do with your Meridian?)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Hey Jim,

I didn't know one could purchase/download MQA files. I assume these only benefit you if you have the hardware decoding? (I assume you do with your Meridian?)

The site Highresaudio.com has been selling MQA files for awhile now. For the most part the selection has been pretty poor with only a few titles that interested me.

I really wasn't expecting the streamed Tidal versions to sound as good as those I downloaded in the past. A couple of tracks I have tried today have stunned me with their SQ. On the Emmylou Harris/Rodney Crowell album title "The Traveling Kind" is a track "Weight of the World" just eliminated the walls in my room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing