Magico on the cover of Stereophile

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
No it wasn't. The woofer was a 7" driver, and the midrange driver was also a 7" driver. The cabinet was ported.

Then it is apples to oranges. This solution is actually common in 2.5-way designs.

Hope you can confirm that using a 5" mid in a common sealed box with two 10" woofers is not possible.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Then it is apples to oranges. This solution is actually common in 2.5-way designs.

Hope you can confirm that using a 5" mid in a common sealed box with two 10" woofers is not possible.

It something I would never do. I wouldn't want the mid affected by the pressure of the woofer.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
By pushing in on the woofers you create a current through the crossover which will cause the midrange to move even if the mid is completely sealed in it's own sub enclosure.

Hello Lief

I am a bit curious on this if its a midrange driver it would be typically bandpased. Wouldn't you have a capacitor in series?? If you did no current will flow or at least get to the midrange through the capacitor as pushing the cone is damn near DC for all intents and purposes

Rob:)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hello Lief

I am a bit curious on this if its a midrange driver it would be typically bandpased. Wouldn't you have a capacitor in series?? If you did no current will flow or at least get to the midrange through the capacitor as pushing the cone is damn near DC for all intents and purposes

Rob:)
Hi Rob,

It all depends on the circuit. You can get a midrange driver to roll off at 200 Hz without having a cap in series. Why put a high pass if it's not necessary. It just depends what the designer is trying to do.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No it wasn't. The woofer was a 7" driver, and the midrange driver was also a 7" driver. The cabinet was ported.

VR-2, a 2.5 way if I recall correctly. Only thing the woofer and mid-woofer had in common was what was visible from the outside. I recall that when bi-amped the upper posts only dealt with the tweeter and the lower posts the mid-woofer and support woofer. The two were designed to work as one. I guess that's what 2.5 way means right? Not quite 3-way. LOL.

Back on topic, listening to Mk1s I heard no indication that the woofers ever interfered mechanically with the midrange. If there was/is enough room for air pressure to get into the mid-enclosure, it sure didn't manifest itself. At Myles' place we did rock out on some tapes and LPs with deep bass and propulsive rhythms too. Mids remained consistent.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
VR-2, a 2.5 way if I recall correctly. Only thing the woofer and mid-woofer had in common was what was visible from the outside. I recall that when bi-amped the upper posts only dealt with the tweeter and the lower posts the mid-woofer and support woofer. The two were designed to work as one. I guess that's what 2.5 way means right? Not quite 3-way. LOL.

Back on topic, listening to Mk1s I heard no indication that the woofers ever interfered mechanically with the midrange. If there was/is enough room for air pressure to get into the mid-enclosure, it sure didn't manifest itself. At Myles' place we did rock out on some tapes and LPs with deep bass and propulsive rhythms too. Mids remained consistent.

There you go again.......always rockin out:)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Leif what you are suggesting could also be easily tested if someone on this forum has a passive 3 way or more system that has BI amp posts
Push a woofer membrane with the binding posts bridged and you should see the mid membrane (and tw. But thats hard to see) move
Not sharing the same volume off course
If it moves test again with the binding posts not connected and it should not move

I dont think it will happen

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Rob,

It all depends on the circuit. You can get a midrange driver to roll off at 200 Hz without having a cap in series. Why put a high pass if it's not necessary. It just depends what the designer is trying to do.

Although it can happen I would say it is highly improbable considering Magico design philosophy. The implementation of elliptical slopes with steep slopes and the use of high quality Mundorf capacitors with reasonable capacitance values, as seen in the many available pictures of Magico crossovers, suggests that they have a capacitor in series with the medium speaker.

Also considering that marketing departments are always eager for anything different from mainstream to use in their brochures, if there was no capacitor in series with the medium speaker I am sure they would exploit it! :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
good tip micro i should exploit it :D
Magico uses steep slopes so not a first order x over
In my design i dont even use resistor/Networks for efficiency alignment.
Maximum tramsparency although its not big difference
Every unit is efficiency matched

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

A little bit OT? perhaps :)
Watching all this with a certain distance .. It would be a fascinating study on how/why some High End Audio brands rise and strive and others fall. Magico gets on the cover of a Magazine and it creates a buzz, a lively thread.. Wilson makes a speaker even the most passionate audiophile will never hear and the thread about it, is about as lively, if not more ...

Meanwhile brands like Evo, Genesis, Rockport, VS, YG, etc have been producing speakers of at least equal quality according to their owners and audiophiles the world over ... they might figure in some discussions but none as passionate or lively as anything Magico or Wilson suscit... Why is that? What makes these so, Paraphrasing Mr Spock: " Fascinating" ?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi

Watching all this with a certain distance .. It would be a fascinating study on how/why some brands rise and strive and others fall. Magico gets on the cover of a Magazine and it creates a buzz, a lively thread.. Wilson makes a speaker even the most passionate audiophile will never hear and the thread about it, is about as lively, if not more ...

Meanwhile brands like Evo, Genesis, Rockport, VS, YG, etc have been producing speakers of at least equal quality according to their owners and audiophiles the world over ... they might figure in some discussions but none as passionate or lively as anything Magico or Wilson suscit... Why is that? What makes it so? Paraphrasing Mr Spock: " Fascinating"

My guess is that Wilson and Magico have reached that much coveted critical mass. More fellow owners to bond online with, more people to talk about them to the uninitiated, more readers to snap up the copies off the shelves or generate hits on a site. How they got to that point in a market with so many choices it can make anybody's head do the Linda Blair is indeed fascinating. Goes to show that when running a business, one needs the whole package. Pure quality can only take one so far in this day and age. Communication is crucial. These two companies are experts at putting themselves out there both in the press and in the field. They really know how to leverage the quality they possess.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi

Watching all this with a certain distance .. It would be a fascinating study on how/why some High End Audio brands rise and strive and others fall. Magico gets on the cover of a Magazine and it creates a buzz, a lively thread.. Wilson makes a speaker even the most passionate audiophile will never hear and the thread about it, is about as lively, if not more ...

Meanwhile brands like Evo, Genesis, Rockport, VS, YG, etc have been producing speakers of at least equal quality according to their owners and audiophiles the world over ... they might figure in some discussions but none as passionate or lively as anything Magico or Wilson suscit... Why is that? What makes these so, Paraphrasing Mr Spock: " Fascinating" ?

IMHO you looking at the whole audiophile world manly through WBF glasses, and get mostly the view of few fans, sometimes spread between more than one audio forum, passionately debating their loved speakers. IMHO a nice perspective for voyeurs ... In real world people forget the covers with next magazine ...

We can not separate a speaker from systems and the people distributing and selling them. What counts in end is the sound quality people perceive in their listening rooms, but also how they managed to get it and the support they will get in future.

The quality of a speaker is not an easy think to debate - I will refrain to quote know an high-end competition manufacturer about this subject in a Magico thread! ;)

It is curious that in Europe, where many old Wilson distributors also became Magico distributors and exhibit the two brands, there is not this kind of passionate debate you refer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My guess is that Wilson and Magico have reached that much coveted critical mass. More fellow owners to bond online with, more people to talk about them to the uninitiated, more readers to snap up the copies off the shelves or generate hits on a site. How they got to that point in a market with so many choices it can make anybody's head do the Linda Blair is indeed fascinating. Goes to show that when running a business, one needs the whole package. Pure quality can only take one so far in this day and age. Communication is crucial. These two companies are experts at putting themselves out there both in the press and in the field. They really know how to leverage the quality they possess.

I have a good friend who owns a small business. He could easily increase the size of it, and become a much larger company. But he simply says no, I want to keep this size, it is the size where I feel comfortable and appreciate. I can easily accept that many high-end owners/designers are not really interested in the compromises that would be needed to jump in the group of the big companies.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a good friend who owns a small business. He could easily increase the size of it, and become a much larger company. But he simply says no, I want to keep this size, it is the size where I feel comfortable and appreciate. I can easily accept that many high-end owners/designers are not really interested in the compromises that would be needed to jump in the group of the big companies.

I can understand that philosophy. My partners and I could easily expand our lines and even go downmarket with brick and mortar. We prefer instead to focus on lines we are really passionate about and distribute rather than retail. That said, I doubt there are many manufacturers that don't wish they had the sort of market traction some other brands have. Whether or not they are willing to sacrifice their current quality of life to achieve that or on the flip side, be willing to contract out labor is another question entirely. I know quite a few manufacturers that feel the need to be very, very hands on. The lower volume is no problem for them as long as they can exercise high levels of personal control over the finished product.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Although it can happen I would say it is highly improbable considering Magico design philosophy. The implementation of elliptical slopes with steep slopes and the use of high quality Mundorf capacitors with reasonable capacitance values, as seen in the many available pictures of Magico crossovers, suggests that they have a capacitor in series with the medium speaker.

Also considering that marketing departments are always eager for anything different from mainstream to use in their brochures, if there was no capacitor in series with the medium speaker I am sure they would exploit it! :)

I also doubt Magico is using this type of circuit in their speaker. All I'm trying to state is there are different ways to accomplish desired results in speaker design. I have no idea weather Magico would promote that type of circuit or not. This type of circuit has been done for years so it's nothing new.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Alan Wolf said to my face, "we use elliptical crossovers."

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Just read the Stereophile review. It was very positive with JA adding it to his 'retirement' list.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
And I just talked to Peter Mackay at Magico regarding the midrange enclosure in the S5 Mk I vs Mk II and to JUST BE CLEAR HE SAID: THERE WAS NONE IN THE MK I UNTIL SOME VERY LATE UNITS, which had some form of an enclosure. The Mk II, as we see, has a really good one. The crossover is also more advanced in the Mk II

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing