Magico on the cover of Stereophile

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I heard the S5 II at Myles's place recently, and commented on his web site that's this is the first S series speaker that I really like, over the S7 and all others. I don't know what the review says, but this speaker is just spectacular to these ears, and the whole system very transparent-to-sources

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Maybe it was Myles' electronics vs what you've heard the S series with before?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Maybe it was Myles' electronics vs what you've heard the S series with before?

I have not been impressed with the original S series when driven by the top Spectrals. The S5 MkII includes that mid/tweet enclosure, unlike the Mk I (and that alone is a very significant improvement), as well as better drivers, with the midrange utilizing graphene. The improvements do not stop there.

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
I heard the S5 II at Myles's place recently, and commented on his web site that's this is the first S series speaker that I really like, over the S7 and all others. I don't know what the review says, but this speaker is just spectacular to these ears, and the whole system very transparent-to-sources

my thoughts exactly, must have said the same somewhere in the forum

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Are you saying the MK 1 had no seperate mid enclosure ?? Or you Mean different enclosure
Big Boulder. Hmmm. I hope the 3050 s
I have not been impressed with the original S series when driven by the top Spectrals. The S5 MkII includes that mid/tweet enclosure, unlike the Mk I (and that alone is a very significant improvement), as well as better drivers, with the midrange utilizing graphene. The improvements do not stop there.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Ack, too bad you didn't stop by for a listen to another set up of S5II's when you were at Myles place, or M3's, S7's etc. 'It's always good to hear different set-ups (room, electronics, cables), it broadens the perspective.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Are you saying the MK 1 had no seperate mid enclosure ?? Or you Mean different enclosure

It had none; the enclosure was introduced in the S3 which came after the S5; refer to the S5 Mk II web page:

The sub-enclosure concept was first introduced in the S3 and provides noticeable enhancements in midrange control and articulation.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ack, too bad you didn't stop by for a listen to another set up of S5II's when you were at Myles place, or M3's, S7's etc. 'It's always good to hear different set-ups (room, electronics, cables), it broadens the perspective.

You were on my list, but I had already scheduled two other visits, and I did get the looks from the wife :D Perhaps next time...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
then i AM really surprised IT Sounded as good as it did , if you dont have a mid enclosure you have the 2 woofers influencing/ Working against the much smaller mid .
basically 2 large pistons working against a small one at different freqs if they share the Same volume

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

It was separate, but probably like the Q7 mkI - just a division inside the speaker with aluminum walls or another type of generic material. The MK2 has a purpose built enclosure, that has better acoustic properties than the old one. Otherwise the middle speaker would also work as a passive bass radiator, generating high distortion in the medium.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 207

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
then i AM really surprised IT Sounded as good as it did , if you dont have a mid enclosure you have the 2 woofers influencing/ Working against the much smaller mid .
basically 2 large pistons working against a small one at different freqs if they share the Same volume

Right, and we've already gone down that path in past threads; I even claimed the Q3 didn't have a proper midrange enclosure because I saw holes between the two aluminum chambers (mid/tweet and bass), and I got shot down with counter-arguments that people were certain Magico would have plugged those holes and sealed all around in real production units, etc... perhaps...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It had none; the enclosure was introduced in the S3 which came after the S5; refer to the S5 Mk II web page:

Please note that sentence seems to address the whole "purpose built sub-enclosure made of a proprietary polymer material " . It seems to me the second sentence is a followup of the previous one - perhaps this "the sub- ..." means "this sub-". Please note I am just guessing!

"A purpose built sub-enclosure made of a proprietary polymer material provides an acoustically optimized rear chamber for the midrange to operate within. The sub-enclosure concept was first introduced in the S3 and provides noticeable enhancements in midrange control and articulation"

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
and?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

My favorite Magico pairing is with Bob's Vitus. Plus you get to compare it to other speakers and Kondo m1000 in that room.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Long Island also has Lissnr's room with the Apogee Duettas, one of my favorite rooms,

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
My favorite Magico pairing is with Bob's Vitus. Plus you get to compare it to other speakers and Kondo m1000 in that room.

Hey Ked,

Come on back over the pond....lot's of new tweeks and making better sound than when you were here, but that's always the case as time marches on. But seriously hope you get to get back over here soon!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
You were on my list, but I had already scheduled two other visits, and I did get the looks from the wife :D Perhaps next time...

You are always welcome and not to buy stuff, but just to come by for a listen and visit!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

Have you ever heard about ANY speaker with dual 10" woofers, which would not have the mid in a separate sub enclosure ? They would rip off the mid at the first bass note !

Both S5 mk 1 and mk 2 has separate sub enclosure for the mid driver ofc. It is only the shape that is different. The mk 2 has an elliptical enclosure made of some kind of polymer. The S5 mk 1 has a rectangular one, made of aluminium.

The elliptical enclosure first debuted in the S3 mk 1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing