ces 2017: Any Requests?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hello everyone. I am making my yearly pilgrimage to Consumer Electronics Show which starts on January 5th, 2017.

Please post here or PM me if there are specific exhibits/rooms you want me to go to and/or spend more time in. I will try to cover all the high-end rooms at the Venetian hotel and post them on ASR Forum. But still, let me know of any specific rooms you are interested in and I will make sure there is good coverage for them.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes, I want to know about the state of the serious affairs...UHD/4K integration between all 4K TVs, all 4K Blu-ray players, all 4K pre/pros and AV receivers, all 4K HDMI cables, all 4K Blu-ray movies from all the movie studios in Hollywood, all the handshakes and collaborations between all these companies in order to make the world a better one for the masses, and not for only few with a Phd in video engineering. I also want to know why after fifteen years that it was designed (December 2002) we are still having issues with HDMI.

Thank you. :b

So, please report from those rooms showing the superb simplicity and image quality from 4K front projectors connected to 4K Blu-ray players and with Dolby Atmos sound. Plus, let us know what's the latest on Dolby Vision, and who are the players serious enough about sound and picture quality to support it.

That's what I'm interested the most nowadays.

And, on the audiophile music front; keep mentioning the music selections they use in their high-end stereo sound systems.
That, is something you do well and that all other audio/video reporters should also report...IMO. Don't forget to mention the video clips they use too from the home theater rooms.
_____

_____

http://qz.com/877325/everything-you...onics-show-ces-2017-in-less-than-two-minutes/
https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-ces-2017-press-conference-live-blog-live-stream/
https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/03/get-your-ces-2017-liveblogs-here/

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I'm interested in best buy. Most bang for the buck.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Elac Debut B6

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks, Amir. Reference 3A speakers.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
...Like Samsung tablets? Yes, me too. I need one soon.
Their CES press event is at 2:00pm Pacific time on January 4th. If you do hear any announcement please post it here so that I know they have something new. Right now all expectation is a Note 7 replacement phone.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, I want to know about the state of the serious affairs...
It will be a jungle out there when it comes to displays and related technologies. I usually spend a day in the main suite where they are shown but keeping one's head above water is tough :). Lines are also super long for the projectors so I am not sure I will hit all of them. If a specific projector is getting a buzz, please post here so that I try to go and see it.

P.S. That was a very nice shot of Las Vegas you post!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Their CES press event is at 2:00pm Pacific time on January 4th. If you do hear any announcement please post it here so that I know they have something new. Right now all expectation is a Note 7 replacement phone.

It will be a jungle out there when it comes to displays and related technologies. I usually spend a day in the main suite where they are shown but keeping one's head above water is tough :). Lines are also super long for the projectors so I am not sure I will hit all of them. If a specific projector is getting a buzz, please post here so that I try to go and see it.

P.S. That was a very nice shot of Las Vegas you post!

Ok then, I'll google around and I'll report directly to you right here. ...Samsung Note 7 replacement phone no thank you; I need a tablet...10" screen.

I bet it's going to be a jungle out there, I agree; and they need some wild animals to put in it...filling the place. Thank you. :b
But yes Amir; my big interest in 2017 is new LG OLED UHD TVs, 4K front projectors, 4K/UHD BR players, certified HDMI cables for UHD (long runs), HDR, Dolby Vision, Hollywood movie studios releasing their best UHD Blu-ray movies with the best quality picture and sound.

Happy New Year! Have fun 366 days all year round. Good health (physical and mental), joy, warmth, peace, and always love behind, on the sides, in front, below and above...360°

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Zanden and kharma room and Wilson wamm if they show it
Sure. I know Zanden will be there as Eric sent me their press release for this year. Both Kharma and Wilson have their own suites so that is good. Wilson also shows in VTL suite usually so hopefully one of them will be showing Wamm.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2017-news-highlights

http://www.avsforum.com/lg-up970-uhd-blu-ray-player-at-ces-2017/

"New at CES 2017 is the LG UP970 (UHD BR player), which will support HDR10 at launch and Dolby Vision after a firmware update in March—though there are currently no discs with content encoded in that format.
The UP970 provides an Ethernet port and Wi-Fi to stream 4K/UHD content from Netflix and YouTube."

http://investor.dolby.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1006321

Jan 4, 2017
LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE: DLB), Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF.A, LGF.B), Universal Pictures Home Entertainment, and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment today announced plans to release content mastered in Dolby Vision for Ultra HD Blu-ray™, which will give consumers greater access to a growing catalog of Dolby Vision content worldwide.

Leveraging the high-dynamic-range (HDR) innovation that powers Dolby's most advanced cinemas around the world, Dolby Vision transforms the TV experience in the home by delivering greater brightness and contrast, as well as a fuller palette of rich colors. Dolby's deep expertise in bringing advanced technologies from the cinema to the home has led to distinct features that enable Dolby Vision to deliver extraordinary viewing experiences to home consumers.

Dolby Vision is the preferred HDR mastering workflow for major studios and a growing number of creatives, so consumers will have access to more of what they want to watch in HDR, including a robust portfolio of movies and episodic content. Dolby today delivers spectacular experiences in broadcast, gaming, music, and other genres, and this expertise serves as the foundation that will enable Dolby Vision to drive the future of entertainment tomorrow.

"Commitment from Lionsgate, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment, and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment for Dolby Vision Ultra HD Blu-ray content is a major milestone for expanded choice and accessibility for consumers," said Curt Behlmer, Senior Vice President, Content Solutions and Industry Relations, Dolby Laboratories. "With Ultra HD Blu-ray, we are able to scale faster to meet the growing demand for Dolby Vision content globally."

"Lionsgate is committed to being at the forefront of cutting edge technology for expanding the choices and enriching the experience of our home entertainment consumers," said Ron Schwartz, President, Lionsgate Home Entertainment "We're pleased to partner with our friends at Dolby to bring Dolby Vision Ultra HD Blu-Ray to our consumers, delivering state-of-the-art images across a broad range of platforms."

"The Ultra HD Blu-ray format is poised to experience an exciting proliferation of cross-industry support in 2017," said Eddie Cunningham, President, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. "Combining an impactful selection of Universal films with the spectacular dynamic range of Dolby Vision creates the best possible proposition for consumers with Dolby Vision-capable TVs."

"With the largest library of 4K Ultra HD films with Dolby Vision available digitally, consumers will now be able to own their favorite Warner Bros. titles on Ultra HD Blu-ray with the spectacular dynamic range of Dolby Vision," said Ron Sanders, President, Warner Bros. Worldwide Home Entertainment Distribution.

From content creation to distribution and playback, Dolby Vision is an end-to-end solution supported by leading Hollywood directors, major studios and distributors, and TV OEMs worldwide. On-demand streaming services feature a strong lineup of Dolby Vision content, with more than 80 studio titles available today. Additionally, more than 100 hours of original content is available in Dolby Vision across leading OTT providers globally, and consumers will soon have access to Dolby Vision titles on Ultra HD Blu-ray disc, with anticipated availability in early 2017.

_____

Nothing about Disney, Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Paramount Studios. :(

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing