Aqua Formula - settings new levels of R2R sonics and price performance

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
A train full of DACs?, where can I get the ticket :)

Shakti, does that GG have the super clocks for USB and DSD512? I know you are rebook focussed so if using RCA input it would not make any difference.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
This is the problem, being able compare like with like.
My GG is "only" running on 2xDSD as my linux software does not have the 4x upgrade. I got in touch with Lukasz last year about it and he could not understand why I would want 4x DSD - 2x is enough!
I ran the GG at 4x from my dell but it was not as good as 2x on my little fanless linux server.
There are so many inconsistencies:confused:.
Transport matters, plus if you don't have the super clock, you have an upside to get in the future. AlRainbow does not like up sampling at any rate except 512 and even then not for everything. We share a DSD2x vinyl rip that sounds best at native rate and is worse with up sampling.

Formula seems to have its sweetspot at DXD rate, so that needs to be considered. Not much feedback of its SQ at native rate playback except at 6moons. I know that Dac8 is not a native rate playback champ.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Wisnon, I can only hear what's put in front of me
Only one chance to hear GG v Formula on SGM, and one chance to hear Dac8 v Formula on SGM
If GG is able to go to 512, then we can compare 512 v dxd for Formula (512 not poss on it)
I can borrow an unpwrd USB and we can compare that on the GG v pwrd on the Formula
Sim w Dac8, this is only worth listening to at 512, so again v dxd for Formula, and again pwrd v unpwrd USBs
So, not identical a/b's but not apples and oranges either
More like Coxs apples and Granny Smiths apples

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Lampi keeps going past more and more stations, because Lukasz keeps tweaking away faster than you can say new dac. So, get on the train, and your route will be customized to where you want to get to

so true....my Dac is quite improved over its original quality.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Wisnon, I can only hear what's put in front of me
Only one chance to hear GG v Formula on SGM, and one chance to hear Dac8 v Formula on SGM
If GG is able to go to 512, then we can compare 512 v dxd for Formula (512 not poss on it)
I can borrow an unpwrd USB and we can compare that on the GG v pwrd on the Formula
Sim w Dac8, this is only worth listening to at 512, so again v dxd for Formula, and again pwrd v unpwrd USBs
So, not identical a/b's but not apples and oranges either
More like Coxs apples and Granny Smiths apples
Parfait.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
so this morning after I left for work, the elf's from SGM (Sound Galleries Music) in the Netherlands got into my SGM server and changed some settings to one's they had found more ideal for my Aqua Formula dac in a couple of systems in Europe. it was a very simple thing to do and a service they provide assuming they have had access to the dac in question and feedback about the settings. I did nothing but allow them access to my home network. I don't know and did not ask what exactly they changed. they said among other things, it was now more optimized for PCM, formerly it had been optimized for 512dsd. likely mostly related to HQ Player.

been listening for about an hour, and it's clearly a little more vivid (blacker backgrounds, more micro-dynamic) and holographic. just more 'there'. maybe there are more benefits which will become evident as i listen......but it's very cool to know the 'collective' knowledge of how the server might be optimized with a particular dac can be easily installed on an ongoing basis. every system is different so not every setting will be synergistic equally in all systems. but I'd say if the Aqua Formula dac works in one system, that optimal settings for that dac more likely than not will work for other systems where that dac is used.

at some point maybe i'll try to learn these settings myself, but I'm not hung up on that. although I could understand that some might rightly want that.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
now, 2 more hours of listening later.......I'd say the focus and clarity is also a small notch above where it was, just more fine texture and a 'less processed' presentation.....the music just happens. piano and vocals are just better. more a sense of cohesion and ease. these are relatively small differences, but significant musically and are across the various source formats similarly.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Mike,

Great post! Let's hope the Lampicult will allow the topic to remain on-topic...
I need to talk to Ed, but I believe what you're experiencing is the filter choice I eventually ended up with, after going through all the options available (it was a slow day in the store...)
The settings I picked were different from the defaults and the settings recommended by Ed, but I did feel it was considerably better, and a lot more detailed. At least in my setup, the difference was very significant, and right now, I just can't go back to the defaults or Ed' settings!
Oh, after all the listening, I did some research, and I found out that the HQPlayer author did mention once that the filter I picked would sound better on R2R DACs, and would be his recommended choice, so what do you know, maybe I *was* on to something! :)

cheers!
Alex

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi Mike,

I need to talk to Ed, but I believe what you're experiencing is the filter choice I eventually ended up with, after going through all the options available (it was a slow day in the store...)
The settings I picked were different from the defaults and the settings recommended by Ed, but I did feel it was considerably better, and a lot more detailed. At least in my setup, the difference was very significant, and right now, I just can't go back to the defaults or Ed' settings!
Oh, after all the listening, I did some research, and I found out that the HQPlayer author did mention once that the filter I picked would sound better on R2R DACs, and would be his recommended choice, so what do you know, maybe I *was* on to something! :)

cheers!
Alex

Good Evening Alex,

The changes we made to Mike's SGM setup were to the OS operating environment. We did not change the HQ Player filter choices.

We have tried out Closed Form, and we have some fans of Closed Form who have R2R DAC's

Whether or not Closed Form will bring some nice SQ uplift for Mike is something we will show Mike how to do and see if it works in his system for the way Mike listens.

There are some optimizations which are pretty much universal, and there are others which are extremely system dependent, and also subject to the way the SGM owners listens to his music.

When we started this project, customer support was our great fear. We now find customer support a pleasure. Collecting data points from the user base, using this information to further improve the sonic results, and then deploying it

Let us know when is a good time for you, and we will configure the SGM in your Attelier to sound even finer

Look forward to talking to you soon !

Ed

BTW, Aqua Formula's are like Gold Dust. We received our first Formula in Monaco only yesterday, and will be receiving our second Northern Europe unit only today. These were ordered the right after New Years !

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Oh, so Mike is in for a treat! I highly recommend you let him try the closed-form filter, as if the improvement in his system is anywhere near what I experienced in mine, he'll be one happy owner :)

Call me any time tomorrow so we can get that update on our unit too!

cheers,
alex

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
Transport matters, plus if you don't have the super clock, you have an upside to get in the future. AlRainbow does not like up sampling at any rate except 512 and even then not for everything. We share a DSD2x vinyl rip that sounds best at native rate and is worse with up sampling.

Formula seems to have its sweetspot at DXD rate, so that needs to be considered. Not much feedback of its SQ at native rate playback except at 6moons. I know that Dac8 is not a native rate playback champ.

Yes the transport matters a lot, hence all the excitement about the SGM. I am looking forward to getting my GG up to spec.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
GG on my comparitor group listening had no superclock, as the comparison was Red Book focussed!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hi Mike,

cheers!
Alex

Evidently Not asiufy....I may be in the market for a new digital front end this year therefore I am paying a little more attention to threads so related. What I can comment upon at this point is that the incessant, verging on the oppressive, promotion of Lampizator products, often within threads not inviting such over zealous assimilation, has in fact resulted in an inverse reaction, in that for my part I have pretty much lost interest in what I am sure are superb items of digital equipment.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Evidently Not asiufy....I may be in the market for a new digital front end this year therefore I am paying a little more attention to threads so related. What I can comment upon at this point is that the incessant, verging on the oppressive, promotion of Lampizator products, often within threads not inviting such over zealous assimilation, has in fact resulted in an inverse reaction, in that for my part I have pretty much lost interest in what I am sure are superb items of digital equipment.

X2...

Tired of those that wax on ad infinitum - you know the kickbacks crew....

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Forgot to mention one thing: the SGM / Aqua combo should not be heard (or sold) without proper break-in. I mean, seriously.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Who exactly do you think you are fooling? You made you lack of interest clear a long time ago ...even crashing Lampi threads to trash the products. Also, unlike other zealous people who only push gear they sell, people like me are NOT in the industry and have zero financial interest in what people buy. I will voice my opinion as I see fit, whether you like it or not. Plain English and bad manners.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Who exactly do you think you are fooling? You made you lack of interest clear a long time ago ...even crashing Lampi threads to trash the products. Also, unlike other zealous people who only push gear they sell, people like me are NOT in the industry and have zero financial interest in what people buy. I will voice my opinion as I see fit, whether you like it or not. Plain English and bad manners.

Guys let's not fight, it will further ruin the thread. Harlequin is trained on UK forums, here sometimes we talk like that. Apologies all.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

And so a nerve is touched! Do please show me examples of the behaviour you attribute to me in regard to the denigration of Lampizator products??? Of which you appear to infer. Your response has verged upon the Pavlovian.

I shall, like yourself, Reserve my right to voice my own opinion whether you like it or not.
In the meantime do please carry on with your enthusiastic spamming, you are really selling the GG to me.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
And so a nerve is touched! Do please show me examples of the behaviour you attribute to me in regard to the denigration of Lampizator products??? Of which you appear to infer. Your response has verged upon the Pavlovian.

I shall, like yourself, Reserve my right to voice my own opinion whether you like it or not.
In the meantime do please carry on with your enthusiastic spamming, you are really selling the GG to me.

I have nothing to sell. It seems you can't get that thru your head. Pharmaceuticals is my business. I cannot care less what you buy. That is your choice and good luck with it.
"We refuse to be what you want us to be. We are who we are, and that is the way its going to be."

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I had been toying with the idea mostly for easier access to new music, and felt that the Aqua transport was reasonable so I pulled the trigger. other transports I had considered were Esoteric based and just too spendy to do. I wanted one, but not $20k+++worth of want.

people are always bringing new CD's to my room and wanted to make that easier.

honestly these days the format has become much less an issue. redbook files are amazing with the Formula-SGM.

we will see how bypassing the SGM with the RJ45 cable and CD's compares.

ok......I'm spinning my first disc in my room in 18 months. the La Diva transport has landed. Aqua has built an impressive piece of kit......with a first class look and feel. it's a top loader and everything feels silky smooth and built to last. nice solid in the hand remote. and sounds very sweet out of the box with a little Fairfield Four. using a Sablon Audio RJ45 cable and trying a Sablon power cord. both brand new.

just sitting on an extra Adona granite/wood shelf sitting on the floor on cones through the carpet to the concrete......on the stock footers. later I may move the SGM to this spot and have the La Diva sit on top of the Formula dac to take full advantage of the Herzan. but for now i'll go this way to get comfortable with the operation of the top loader out in the open.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing