Aqua Formula - settings new levels of R2R sonics and price performance

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
USB as a data transfer for high end audio was never designed for that purpose.

I've heard this slogan on more than one forum I think but it really doesn't make any sense. Data is data, and USB async most certainly was designed to get the best audio performance (in theory) possible by allowing the DAC to be clock master. In this sense USB async easily beats AES where the transmitter is the clock master and the DAC has to slave itself to that.

In my estimation the problems with USB don't so much arise because USB itself isn't 'fit for purpose' but because computers and their switching supplies are incredibly noisy beasties and USB does not provide isolation as standard.

That and the fact noise and contamination propagates the data stream.

Right on, not just the data stream though but also the cable screen and the power supply wires.

The amount of negative impact will depend on how much investment and good design has been implemented in the USB output on the server and input at the DAC.

Not just the degree of isolation provided by the USB output but also the amount of noise being generated by the computer and its power supply. All else being equal a lower powered computer is going to be less noisy than a higher powered one. Which is why the newer generation of ARM-based devices are quite good news for audio as they tend to be less power hungry than the older generation Intel-based ones.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thank gentlemen for your replies, I somewhat agree with your point WRT noise and isolation. I was explicitly interested in the Bonzo75's general statement since he explicitly stated that, "AES should sound better than USB". Please provide technical details as to why you believe so, thanks.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I've heard this slogan on more than one forum I think but it really doesn't make any sense. Data is data, and USB async most certainly was designed to get the best audio performance (in theory) possible by allowing the DAC to be clock master. In this sense USB async easily beats AES where the transmitter is the clock master and the DAC has to slave itself to that.

In my estimation the problems with USB don't so much arise because USB itself isn't 'fit for purpose' but because computers and their switching supplies are incredibly noisy beasties and USB does not provide isolation as standard.

Don't forget jitter. Jitter is the enemy of all digital audio period, CDP or PC based audio.
Packet size and the way the packet data is sent via USB (it is also on a shared bus) affects the integrity of the stream and how accurate it follows the clock sync at the other end (DAC clock) which as we know has to be incredibly accurate. Ethernet 1000BaseT has a lot lower latency which helps things a lot. It also is not on a shared bus like USB if you set the PC or Mac to be music only i.e. not use the Ethernet for surfing or other network access. USB in my opinion is good but not top tier, and struggles to rid of the digital issues we have all heard ourselves. Manufacturers cling onto it because:
1. It is super cheap
2. Every Phone/PC has a USB or micro USB port
3. It allows sampling rates higher than 192K (AES and SPDIF limit) for the obsession to oversample everything or convert to DSD.

I am not saying AOIP is the answer to everyone. I am also saying the Rednet 3 I use is the answer for all DACs either, it uses it's own clock and Dante pro audio optimised software/hardware. I am saying I went down the road of trying boxes and boxes of up to 1.5K USB convertor, clockers, de-crappifiers and other USB gizmos, LPS's, TotalDAC USB cable, Regens and reclockers and gave up when instead of incremental improvements, bingo AOIP was a big jump right there at at 899USD a bargain in my book. I won't go back, and recommend others try it. Try it and see, it might just amaze you too. Or not try it, and stay on USB as the holy grail. It is a free world.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing