Aqua Formula - settings new levels of R2R sonics and price performance

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Since both units are brand new, I was told to give it a week of non-stop playing before doing any critical listening... And that's what I'm doing :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We can wait

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
however; looking close you will find the majority of the dsd versions of current classical recordings are dxd sourced. and the dxd is the superior sounding file.

dxd is what is the ultimate format to my ears.....assuming you have a dac that can take full advantage.

I fully agree with you, I have noticed the DXD origin, and even a few that do not say it were edited in DXD. Unfortunately DXD versions are much harder to get. But the DXDs I own sound great on the Vivaldi.

A good point for DSD is that we can get excellent SACDs at around 5 euros at clearance sales.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If you've just spent a small fortune on your dream listening room, and are plum out of cash for any meaningful upgrade, that code book is thrown out of the window
Maybe I should have said <"I" can wait>

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I fully agree with you, I have noticed the DXD origin, and even a few that do not say it were edited in DXD. Unfortunately DXD versions are much harder to get. But the DXDs I own sound great on the Vivaldi.

A good point for DSD is that we can get excellent SACDs at around 5 euros at clearance sales.

As mentioned earlier you can find many fantastic sounding (original) dxd recordings on the spiritofturtle and 2l websites. Did any of you listen to one of these dxd albums?

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
Incidentally I visited Spirit of Turtle a few weeks ago and was able to listen to Berts recordings in DXD in his incredible room with his custom 5.1 Avalon/Spectral system and it was magical.
I can attest that he does all his mastering in DXD.
When I got home, I listened to his DCS sampler (in DSD) in stereo which of course was a big letdown after that experience.

So thumbs up for DXD and spirit of turtle in particular

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Incidentally I visited Spirit of Turtle a few weeks ago and was able to listen to Berts recordings in DXD in his incredible room with his custom 5.1 Avalon/Spectral system and it was magical.
I can attest that he does all his mastering in DXD.
When I got home, I listened to his DCS sampler (in DSD) in stereo which of course was a big letdown after that experience.

So thumbs up for DXD and spirit of turtle in particular

Some of Bert's older recordings are (indeed) not available in dxd. Apparently we both like his dxd recordings. Imho Bert's dxd recordings belong to the very best out there. Those who are interested I refer to the spiritofturtle thread I started on WBF. I am really looking forward to his next dxd recording of Prokofiev symphonies.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

And vinyl rips to DSD128 and analog tape transfers too.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

+1
I am buying now a lot of classical sacd's for 15-20 euro and ripp them with my Pioneer BDP 160 , mainly Living Stereo DSD from master tapes and some SHM from cdjapan ( those are expensive however).
This way I eat cake and have cake :)
For downloads DXD is the less convenient but sonically the best IMHO.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As mentioned earlier you can find many fantastic sounding (original) dxd recordings on the spiritofturtle and 2l websites. Did any of you listen to one of these dxd albums?

Yes, the few I have come from these sites. This weekend I am going to download the Piano Concertos KV. 413, KV. 414 & KV. 415, La Petite Bande. I have listened to them life in the past and it is a good opportunity to re-evoke this marvelous small orchestra sound.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Yes, the few I have come from these sites. This weekend I am going to download the Piano Concertos KV. 413, KV. 414 & KV. 415, La Petite Bande. I have listened to them life in the past and it is a good opportunity to re-evoke this marvelous small orchestra sound.

Have not yet heard this recent Mozart recording from Bert. It got a rave review on hraudio.net as regards performance as well as sonics. Curious to hear your feedback.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
+1
I am buying now a lot of classical sacd's for 15-20 euro and ripp them with my Pioneer BDP 160 , mainly Living Stereo DSD from master tapes and some SHM from cdjapan ( those are expensive however).
This way I eat cake and have cake :)
For downloads DXD is the less convenient but sonically the best IMHO.

Hi Marslo,
Believe it or not, if you demagnetize and do De-static treatment to the CD or sacd before ripping, the ripped music files obtained have better sonic performance.

Most audiophiles in HK do these pre-treatment before ripping, and the most popular demagnetizer and de-static machine used are from Furutech.

CK

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Hi Marslo,
Believe it or not, if you demagnetize and do De-static treatment to the CD or sacd before ripping, the ripped music files obtained have better sonic performance.

Most audiophiles in HK do these pre-treatment before ripping, and the most popular demagnetizer and de-static machine used are from Furutech.

CK
Hi CKKeung,

Thank you very much for your advice.
Since I started to ripp my cd's and more recently - sacd' s- I always demagnetize them first with Acoustic Revive device.
Have also a big one for vinyls :)(details about all the AR tweaks I use in" about me" ).
Fully agree with you.
Cheers
Mariusz

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
OK, here's a first impression, after quite a few hours of burn-in and experimentation with assorted filters...

This thing is *good*, seriously good! It has a tonal weight that is really impressive, and adds to the "believability" that a R2R design usually has.

So far, my favourite filter setting is not what Ed recommended, so I kinda feel weird about it :) I'm using closed-form-fast, NS5.

Next, I'll try it with other servers/streamers, mostly to gauge the extent of SGM's contribution to the overall result...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The O brand CD Magic spray makes a noticeable difference for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing