Aqua Formula - settings new levels of R2R sonics and price performance

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Can't say for the others, but I have heard the C1 on it's own at home in my system, and it was very impressive, but after 2 hours I was bored. It didn't float my boat, was too hifi and cold for my taste. It also proved to be a bit harsh on average female vocal recordings for example on my Stax 009s. My Audio Note or AMR was fine. I have no idea why this is, possibly the USB on the C1 is not as good as Ethernet? This may not apply to all systems, and your mileage may vary.

You must try C1 + X1 it's another league.
For streaming the ethernet option is the way to go, better than USB.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
You must try C1 + X1 it's another league.
For streaming the ethernet option is the way to go, better than USB.

Yes, I was thinking that may be the case. Since the demo with the C1 I have gone AOIP with my system, and it is much better in my case. The C1 inc X1 inc Ethernet board was way over my budget unfortunately. Then some say it gets better again with the server....

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
If by any chance i have the budget to start building a CH system i will start with C1+X1+M1 with the streaming board.
Later on would add L1 + another X1.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
If by any chance i have the budget to start building a CH system i will start with C1+X1+M1 with the streaming board.
Later on would add L1 + another X1.

Nice. But you are talking 100K there! I wonder if there is better for less....

Did you hear the C1? At home?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Nice. But you are talking 100K there! I wonder if there is better for less....

Did you hear the C1? At home?

€92K here in France.
Better for less i don't think but still very good i,would guess Aqua Formula, Lampi GG and Totaldac six.
For little less on the amp side i have a back up with Ypsilon at €50K.
Not yet auditioned the C1 in my system, i did audition a full CH system 3 days ago at a dealer's and we did A/B comparison with and without X1 on the L1 and C1.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
€92K here in France.
Better for less i don't think but still very good i,would guess Aqua Formula, Lampi GG and Totaldac six.
For little less on the amp side i have a back up with Ypsilon at €50K.
Not yet auditioned the C1 in my system, i did audition a full CH system 3 days ago at a dealer's and we did A/B comparison with and without X1 on the L1 and C1.

Hmm, TotalDAC 12 inc server still less than half the price of the C1 system. Goldmund boys never were known for competitive pricing... Not saying the C1 system isn't good, just saying IMO believe there is better for less. And in the current tidal wave of R-2R DACs and discrete board, DSD FPGA, seems rather risky to invest that much in the tech right now IMO.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hmm, TotalDAC 12 inc server still less than half the price of the C1 system. Goldmund boys never were known for competitive pricing... Not saying the C1 system isn't good, just saying IMO believe there is better for less. And in the current tidal wave of R-2R DACs and discrete board, DSD FPGA, seems rather risky to invest that much in the tech right now IMO.
CH Precision uses BB1704, so all DSD is converted to PCM.

Sounds great, but still not real DSD for the DSD lovers out there.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
CH Precision uses BB1704, so all DSD is converted to PCM.

Sounds great, but still not real DSD for the DSD lovers out there.

DSG is still marginal, especially if you have Tidal or Qobuz membership only PCM is used.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014

I agree that Totaldac 12 + server is much cheaper and probably comparable to CH C1+X1, but then the synergy of a full CH system is something that many other brands don't have, at least not at the same level of CH.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
DSG is still marginal, especially if you have Tidal or Qobuz membership only PCM is used.

For a long time I also preached that DSD was marginal, but being mainly a classical music listener I have now found that there are many excellent labels that distribute in DSD. Systematically in dual layer SACDs the DSD version sounds significantly better than the CD version.

Please note I am just commenting on the recordings, not about the sound quality of DSD played using PCM DACs.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
DSD is still marginal, especially if you have Tidal or Qobuz membership only PCM is used.

Many people upsample on the fly (both computer files and Tidal). Your choice to use JRiver or HQ Player or (Roon+HQ P)

DSD (BITSTREAM, really) is now just a selectable playback format. Feed the Dac its best playback format at its sweetspot - is the new mantra.
PCM or Bitstream, it makes no difference anymore, as long as you have a decently specced computer Server.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I agree that Totaldac 12 + server is much cheaper and probably comparable to CH C1+X1, but then the synergy of a full CH system is something that many other brands don't have, at least not at the same level of CH.

Please note that I live in Switzerland and know these guys well! Been to both the old office and the new one in Bussigny.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
For a long time I also preached that DSD was marginal, but being mainly a classical music listener I have now found that there are many excellent labels that distribute in DSD. Systematically in dual layer SACDs the DSD version sounds significantly better than the CD version.

Please note I am just commenting on the recordings, not about the sound quality of DSD played using PCM DACs.

Interesting. I am looking forward to how MQA sounds in Tidal.

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
For full disclosure:

I played around with the Aqua for a while now and after having a few talks with Edward aka EuroDriver, we decided to distribute this amazing brand in the BENELUX states and Austria under Edwards Sound Test umbrella.

So from now on, please take my posts with a pinch of salt when it comes to Aqua, I will reach for the Administrators to change my industry affiliation.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Or a pinch of sugar? I gather from multiple trials now, incl your's, the Formula is pretty sweet

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

however; looking close you will find the majority of the dsd versions of current classical recordings are dxd sourced. and the dxd is the superior sounding file.

dxd is what is the ultimate format to my ears.....assuming you have a dac that can take full advantage.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
For full disclosure:

I played around with the Aqua for a while now and after having a few talks with Edward aka EuroDriver, we decided to distribute this amazing brand in the BENELUX states and Austria under Edwards Sound Test umbrella.

So from now on, please take my posts with a pinch of salt when it comes to Aqua, I will reach for the Administrators to change my industry affiliation.

congrats. loving my Aqua Formula.....and the La Diva transport should arrive in the next week or so.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I just got ours, and it's already "cooking" appropriately with an SGM 2015!
Let's give it a few more days for it to settle!

cheers,
alex

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Alex, let us know how SGM-Formula compares to yr best analog

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing