International Shipping

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Greetings, all,

Would anyone have experience with a service that will collect and ship an item internationally :confused:
In this instance, from Germany to the U.S.A.

Thanks for the attention and HNY! :cool:

Sam

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have used Fedex on a few occasions to collect and ship from the USA to the UK with no problems and you should be able get a quote online.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think Transworld International also does all the collect, shipping, clearing for you

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Thanks, Barry.
Did FedEx attend all the international paperwork?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Thanks, Ked -- I'd prefer a one-stop solution. :)
Never heard of Transworld International, though.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks, Ked -- I'd prefer a one-stop solution. :)
Never heard of Transworld International, though.

Sorry - maybe I got confused. Look at TNT. I had got one or both of these names once.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Okay...acknowledged -- thanks!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Yep FedEx in USA to TNT in Europe

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For Germany, I've had a lot of good experiences with DB Schenker.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Thanks Kingsrule and Jack!

I'll look into TNT...I've heard of DB Schenker.
Jack, does DB Schenker address clearances/customs, too?

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Sam

I routinely work with all of them.

Fedex, DHL, TNT and UPS all have turnkey solutions. DHL basically moves at one speed - fast. You will have your shipment in one or two days. Reliable and expensive. Fedex is pretty much the same story. TNT is fine. Definitely a cheaper option but slower. Figure 4-5 business days to the east coast. UPS is expensive but also has different levels of service.

If you are not in a rush I would suggest TNT and just make sure the shipment is insured.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Ken,

Thanks for your reply. Ultimately, the item would arrive in California.
With the international appeal of our avocation, it's good to have options.
:)

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
Well, here my2 cents: European companies are fine, such as TNT or DHL, but for shipments to the States I would suggest either FedEx or UPS unless you would wish to ship heavy gear. I have used all of them, either way and never had any trouble, but I would surmise, that with US companies the release through customs might go more smoothly. Just a hunch.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I just sent a tonearm to Brinkmann in Germany by USPS Guaranteed Delivery (that uses Fedex planes/trucks overseas). The process is a bit of a pain as their website is not easy to use (I would fill out the commercial invoice at the PO to be sure), but it was 2/3 the cost of the alternatives. The unit was sent back to me by UPS fwiw. Both ways took only 2 days as using Express clears customs much faster.

If I had to do again, I would probably use DHL.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks, Barry.
Did FedEx attend all the international paperwork?

Hi Sam,
The vendor has to fill in some forms to begin with but after that you and the buyer just track it's progress.
In the UK Fedex get in touch with you by phone after it has cleared customs so you can pay the Value Added Tax over the phone with a debit or credit card and then they deliver it, usually within 24/48 hours.
I presume it's a very similar process for a buyer in the USA.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Sounds intuitve, Detlof. The contemplated gear isn't particularly heavy.
Your .02 EUR is appreciated. :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Thanks, Keith.
Utilizing the USPS may confer advantages wrt clearing customs.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Barry,

Practically all of my international transactions have been with the Swiss...PB Swiss Tools and audiohouse.ch.
Pretty smooth.

I ordered some Schoeps mics from thomann.de that were sent via DHL...it was a mess. :eek:
Maybe, DHL met their obligation and the problem began on this side of the Atlantic :confused:

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I bought a Lyra demo MC cartridge, an Etna, from a German audio dealer in Stuttgart who used DSV AIR & SEA GMBH. The audio dealer (who was knowledgeable on international shipping) was familiar with the customs forms and e-mailed them to me and I sent them back the same way. DSV delivered to the US UPS local office nearby. UPS performed brokerage function and cleared through customs and did ultimate delivery. I could track status through both companies websites.

Package got hung up 1-2 days in Philly clearing customs for some reason and then UPS goofed up and forgot to collect customs duties which were manageable. A few months later, I received a letter from Pennsylvania with a request to pay sales and use tax of 6% (UPS must have filed docs on this with the State. I'm not sure other states are on top of this and I've imported stuff from many other countries (Japan, Thailand, Ireland, Australia, Taiwan, etc.) and never had this happen but it was a big ticket item). Total delivery time less than a week and it could have been sooner.

In general, be prepared for anything. You may or may not save money depending on exchange rates, wire transfer fees, and customs duties, so make sure there's a good margin for error if the item's available in the US. Buying internationally wouldn't be a deterrent for me, but you may have a sleepless night or two if the object is really expensive.

The other Barry

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Interesting you mention exchange rates, Barry. I only follow rates as needed, but I looked at them today and it appears the USD is significantly stronger against the EUR and GBP than when I last had an interest awhile ago.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing