Aries 3D with Benz Micro Low Freq oscillations in my JL 113's

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
Russ, what you are describing is now more obvious to me.... you have/had a clear case of your subs overloading your room. What size is your room? Matching a sub to one's listening space is crucial, because with a mis-match the ability to overload the room becomes more likely. I would suggest removing your subs altogether, and attempting to see if you can place your Vivid's in a space that will lock them in as to the bass response. If you feel that once you have done that, that they are still lacking in the bass dept, ( although I happen to think Vivid's are VERY able in their ability to reproduce good clean bass); then I would investigate a much smaller sub than what you currently are using. Probably something using a single 10" driver...max. The RPG panel will help, to some extent with the bass bloat...but since you are overloading the room, I doubt they will ameliorate the problem entirely! Better solution is to carefully match the speakers ( and if necessary the subs as well) to your room size and dimensions, IMHO.

BTW, I am actually not a huge fan of DSP...beacause IF the room is getting overloaded by your sub/speaker at the lower volumes it will simply apply a band-aid and will not truly solve the problem. Far better to solve the speaker/sub/room interaction with the correct match of gear to room in the first place...again IMHO.

+1

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Russ,

I have been there buddy, its feedback. The horrendous noise that makes it sound like the needle is gonna jump across the table and your speakers are gonna blow. Your listening and it sounds so dialed in, you crank it louder and louder then it slowly starts as a hum that grows in intensity until it overwhelms the whole sound, unless you lower the volume enough to stop it, then you can raise it back up a little, just enough until the low hum starts again and back off a bit. It takes a lot of enjoyment away and induce some anxiety in me. I had it with my original Aries and Classic 3. The vibraplane makes it worse because it is allowing your turntable to produce louder, deeper bass. The subs are adding more bass and causing more feedback. The issue is the VPI arm. Using the second pivot upgrade and keeping the bell housing of the tonearm as close to the pivot point as possible to maintain the VTA. The bottom edge of the tonearm cup should be no more than 1/4 inch from the platform that holds the pivot spike. Not sure on your speaker placement but moving out into the room helped me avoid feedback. Hotter pressings tend to have less feedback, records with huge dynamic range but are cut at low levels feedback the most. Let me know if I can help any more, its a bitch of a problem and VPI was in total denial, until they released the 2nd pivot. Let me know if the treatments helped. Slightly more tracking force also helps, but possible at the expense of low bass.

Reactions: mulveling

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
Have you tried moving your turntable and phono stage into another room? You are not going to fix it with tweaks, new bearings, special racks, and so on. If you can't move it, suspend it from the ceiling or from a wall rack that is bolted to a structural member all the setup in the world will not help you.

Another idea is to move the subwoofers into another room and recalibrate them from there. I've done this at several customer's places and it can work.

Also try cutting the crossover at 40Hz or below and turn the volume down.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
turn the subs off...if problem is fixed you know it's a sub integration problem. Blaming a cart is a stretch along with the TT and arm.

russe41

Dec 6, 2016
I used 2 Velodyne HGS15's and would adjust my crossover to at least a cutoff below 20-25cps.
Unless it's organ music those freqs
are not there anyway

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing