RCA Shaded Dog (US) vs. RCA (UK) Vinyl

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
For those that have the same classical title in both US RCA shaded dog and UK RCA , what's the difference ? Are their respective pressings derived from the same master tapes ? Is one more coveted (sound quality) over the other or is it title dependent ?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 162
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 159

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Christian, one listen to the two will tell you a lot about the SQ of these two pressings. IMO, ( owning both) I believe that the US pressing is far more resolved and has a much better stage. As to the quality of the pressing, again IMO, the US pressing is much quieter. The other difference, which you have not mentioned is the pressing number...a typical 1s 1s US pressing will sound better than the same LP in a lower number pressing, i.e. a 10s 15s pressing.( Nonetheless, I believe that a lower US pressing will still sound better than a UK pressing) As to collectability, I believe that all of the US pressings are more collectable than the UK re-issues. SQ, at least IME, is also always preferable in the US pressings vs. the same UK pressing. This does NOT apply to all US vs. UK LP pressings ( non RCA).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks Davey. Myles has said basically the same thing. I was going to bid on a bunch of U.K. RCA's....maybe I will re-think bidding on them.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Which is which in your photo's above? Is the RCA Victor the US pressing? I've been after this all year but struggling to find it..

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Which is which in your photo's above? Is the RCA Victor the US pressing? I've been after this all year but struggling to find it..

Yes...LSC-2201. I can confirm the US RCA's are superior to the UK SB catalog # RCA pressings from a recording/sound quality perspective..

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Hi Paul,

In the above photo, the record with the 'shaded dog' is the US pressing. Some of the later US pressings did not have the shaded dog and or had a pink label ( very late pressing/reissue). These are generally far less sought after.
Although there was the famous 'white dog' which is also a later pressing and in some instances does sound as great as the original 'shaded dog'.
Unlike the original UK Decca label LP's which were many times released here in the US as London "Blue back" LP's ( and the US pressings were generally inferior to their UK Decca brethren); as I stated above, the US "Shaded Dogs" are
superior to the UK releases.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Ok Thanks Christian.. and you Davey for the education :) Is nothing simple in analog?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing