Jazdoc's 2016 Favorite Jazz

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Tremendous year for new jazz releases. We are truly living in a golden age.

JD Allen "Americana"
Backed by his working trio, this CD based on blues changes. Contender for album of the year. Very well recorded with the minor caveat of falling victim to the drummer with the 14' long arms...sigh

The Bad Plus "It's Hard"
Concentrating on covers, an outstanding release. Vinyl has great sonics.

Kenny Barron "Book of Intuition"
The elegant pianist reinterprets his older compositions and mixes in a couple of obscure Monk tunes on this trio CD release.

Marquis Hill "The Way We Play"
Well recorded CD of straight ahead modern jazz led by young trumpeter.

Brad Mehldau "Blues & Ballads"
Another great LP by one of the best working trios on the planet. You'll be hearing the cover of "And I Love" her at audio shows. Outstanding sonics.

Noah Preminger "Some Other Time"
My favorite release from Newvelle Records first year. Amazing sonics.

Rhythm Future Quartet "Travels'
Great CD of hot jazz.

Wadada Leo Smith "America's National Parks"
Killer disc of improvisational music at its finest. Contender for album of the year.

Cuong Vu Trio "Meets Path Metheny"
Drummer Ted Poor is the star of this set. Great sounding CD.

The Westerlies "Eponymous"
I'll admit my bias up front...I know the parents of the musicians. But these guys are the real deal playing their own compositions on their 2nd CD. An inventive form of chamber jazz.

Matt Wilson's Big Happy Family "Beginning of a Memory"
The title is an illusion to Wilson's late wife to whom the CD is dedicated. A beautiful and fun homage.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing