For audiophiles

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Great minds think alike, only you put it more nicely.

Thanks Detlof, somehow this thread took a serious turn and the irony of the thread is that people are still scarily justifying what is correct and what isn't.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
.facebook_1483529105154.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
How did the wife guess that everyone needs help to know if there were bits somewhere along the remastering and cutting process of new vinyl? ;)

Intuition, I guess or going through hubbies bits and pieces?

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
Perhaps it's obvious, but the key message of that first comic isn't just that some of us are certain in our perspectives, or have trouble admitting error, or difficulty in maintaining an open mind. It's that we ALL do, albeit, in varying degree. It's simply, and unfortunately, an elemental aspect of human nature, from which, all manner of human evil springs. It afflicts all of human decision making, producing consequences tragic to inconsequential. From decisions regarding war to those regarding audio system construction.

I do not feel that humanity needs more baseless indecision and irrational doubt, but that we need less self-certainty that rigidly rejects, without analysis, any fact that's contrary to some desired decision or act. Humans seem to dislike engaging in critical thinking, for whatever reason. I suppose, there is an anthropologically evolutionary reason why we developed that nature, but I'm uncertain of what that is. I do suspect that it may have to do with the tribal solidarity benefit of not questioning the prevailing attitudes and decisions of the tribe. The modern world seems cursed by tribalism, of which, nationalism is a kind. Not to mention, as are all manner of bigotry.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Perhaps it's obvious, but the key message of that first comic isn't just that some of us are certain in our perspectives, or have trouble admitting error, or difficulty in maintaining an open mind. It's that we ALL do, albeit, in varying degree.

True on its face value but the conflict enters when one tries to justify ones position based on facts and truth, which is a very fungible topic these days depending on ones perspective.

This is especially true in audio given the inherent subjective nature of the hobby.

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
True on its face value but the conflict enters when one tries to justify ones position based on facts and truth, which is a very fungible topic these days depending on ones perspective.

Facts are not really a matter of perspective. Facts can be falsified, in which case they are no longer facts. Facts can aslo be presented without their proper context, against which logical analysis and critical thinking skills serve as protection. These problems have become rampant because our institutions intended to guard against them have become corrupted. Our educational system does not focus on teaching critical thinking, and our news press is only interested in increasing their profits. Not to mention the corruption of our governing institutions, and even our religious ones. Truth can be a matter of perspective, but is more an philosophical concept, yet truth is also subject to logical analysis and critical thinking. Such cognitive skills are the basis for nearly everey philosophical search for, and examination of, the truth.

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
Really? Did you sleep through our recent elections?

"...Facts can be falsified, in which case they are no longer facts. Facts can aslo be presented without their proper context.."

Also, there's the Tooth Fairy factor; people can simply irrationally choose to believe or disbelieve whatever they wish to in support of some desired outcome. In which case, facts and logical analysis are irrelvant to them anyhow. It seems that only hard unpleasant consequences can reach such people. If not even that, then, Darwin takes over and eventually eliminates such folks, unfortunately, the rest of us may be eliminated with them.

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
Facts are not really a matter of perspective. Facts can be falsified, in which case they are no longer facts. Facts can aslo be presented without their proper context, against which logical analysis and critical thinking skills serve as protection. These problems have become rampant because our institutions intended to guard against them have become corrupted. Our educational system does not focus on teaching critical thinking, and our news press is only interested in increasing their profits. Not to mention the corruption of our governing institutions, and even our religious ones. Truth can be a matter of perspective, but is more an philosophical concept, yet truth is also subject to logical analysis and critical thinking. Such cognitive skills are the basis for nearly everey philosophical search for, and examination of, the truth.

If I read you right, you seem to stipulate something like an absolute truth, to be arrived at by logic and critical thinking, as you say. I thought that since Kant it was shown, that such an animal simply is beyond our means. Very much like the "absolute sound " in audiophilia.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
If I read you right, you seem to stipulate something like an absolute truth, to be arrived at by logic and critical thinking, as you say. I thought that since Kant it was shown, that such an animal simply is beyond our means. Very much like the "absolute sound " in audiophilia.

Actually, mathematical truths are absolute. Sorry, Kant ;).

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012

I did not intend to convey that. I strongly disagree with the notion of Platonic perfect forms. From which, authoritarian values come. As I wrote, truth can indeed be a matter of perspctive. However, that doesn't mean one's particular truth cannot be subjected to logic and reasoned analysis. It seems to me that one's truth should, at the least, hold up logically and rationally from the perspective in which is was formed. It should be consistent with it's founding perspective and not logically contradictory with itself.

More vulnerable to critical examination than is some particular truth, formed by some particular perspective, is the formation of their persepctive itself. I often encounter people whose perspective is founded on false facts. Some particular truth may then actually be fully rational from that perspective, but if the perspective is built on falsity, the resulting truth is likely to be false.

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
I did not intend to convey that. I strongly disagree with the notion of Platonic forms. From which, authoritarian values come. As I wrote, truth can indeed be a matter of perspctive. However, that doesn't mean one's particular truth cannot be subjected to logic and reasoned analysis. It seems to me that one's truth should, at the least, hold up logically and rationally from within the perspective by which is was formed. It should be consistent with it's founding perspective and not logically contradictory with itself.

More vulnerable to critical examination than is some particular truth, formed by some particular perspective, is the formation of their persepctive itself. I often encounter people whose perspective is founded on false facts. Some particular truth may then actually be fully rational from that perspective, but if the perspective is built on falsity, the resulting truth is likely to be false.

Thanks, I am perfectly comfortable with that .:)

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
Actually, mathematical truths are absolute. Sorry, Kant ;).

LOL, yes until they are falsified and many seem to be sort of aproximate. But then enlighten me, I was never good at math.:p

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
LOL, yes until they are falsified and many seem to be sort of aproximate. But then enlighten me, I was never good at math.:p

Take for example prime numbers. In this or any other conceivable universe, 41 and 317 are prime numbers. Nothing will change that fact. Again, sorry Kant ;)

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I did not intend to convey that. I strongly disagree with the notion of Platonic perfect forms. From which, authoritarian values come. As I wrote, truth can indeed be a matter of perspctive. However, that doesn't mean one's particular truth cannot be subjected to logic and reasoned analysis. It seems to me that one's truth should, at the least, hold up logically and rationally from the perspective in which is was formed. It should be consistent with it's founding perspective and not logically contradictory with itself.

Haven't the slightest idea what you are trying to say. And have no desire to figure it out.

Too many years in academia perhaps. :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing