28.7 KB · Views: 517

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
That is so true!!! LOL!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Wish folks would take that into account when they post. Too many don't and make indefensible absolutist statements.

Likely ego but perhaps it's something else.

No-one has a monopoly on wisdom :eek:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Wish folks would take that into account when they post. Too many don't and make indefensible absolutist statements.

Likely ego but perhaps it's something else.

No-one has a monopoly on wisdom :eek:

Correct.

People also do not want to realize that no system is without compromises, regardless of how much money you throw at it. Once you do realize that every system is a compromise, all absolutes go out the window.

The main thing is that you find the compromise that makes you happy. There is no 'best' system -- there just isn't. Even with your 'best' system, or another system that you find best, other people will find plenty to criticize. Always. Hey, even you, if you are honest with yourself, will find plenty to criticize. Always.

But when you find the compromise that makes you happy and that allows you to maximally enjoy music, that's all that counts.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
There used to be a reviewer on WBF who was extremely full of himself, but who fortunately left the forum. He once proclaimed that his system could "do everything". Woooaahahahahahhaaaa!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hmmm, wonder who that could have been, LOL.:D:D

Davey, if I remember correctly, didn't you have a hand in him getting upset? Good for you!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Correct.

People also do not want to realize that no system is without compromises, regardless of how much money you throw at it. Once you do realize that every system is a compromise, all absolutes go out the window.

The main thing is that you find the compromise that makes you happy. There is no 'best' system -- there just isn't. Even with your 'best' system, or another system that you find best, other people will find plenty to criticize. Always. Hey, even you, if you are honest with yourself, will find plenty to criticize. Always.

But when you find the compromise that makes you happy and that allows you to maximally enjoy music, that's all that counts.

I agree that a system's degree of fulfillment of purpose is not a matter of the money you throw at it, but it can be a result of single minded effort at refinement and synergy. and it need not involve any absolutes. it might use particular technology, but the success is beyond validation of a product(s). in fact, it's about getting a reference and then chasing it; eliminating barriers and getting the parts to work right. bit by bit uncovering the obstacles and then eliminating them.

that resulting system may not appeal equally to all listeners. but it can fully express the intended target performance. and if it does that is not proof of anything other than the effort behind the system. and that the pieces obviously have possibilities.

I don't think Bonzo's comic strip message had to do with system development. I think it's more speaking to those wedded to particular products or approaches single-mindedly.....getting blinded by that approach to other possibilities.

Bonzo ruffles feathers with his non politically correct direct feedback. it hits restrictive zones. sure he has biases he brings to any session. but......it's the music for him that tells the truth.....not his pre-conceived notions about what he is going to hear. I hope he can continue to weather the storm of judgment and not compromise the musical truth he hears.....and then shares from his viewpoint.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I agree that a system's degree of fulfillment of purpose is not a matter of the money you throw at it, but it can be a result of single minded effort at refinement and synergy. and it need not involve any absolutes. it might use particular technology, but the success is beyond validation of a product(s). in fact, it's about getting a reference and then chasing it; eliminating barriers and getting the parts to work right. bit by bit uncovering the obstacles and then eliminating them.

that resulting system may not appeal equally to all listeners. but it can fully express the intended target performance. and if it does that is not proof of anything other than the effort behind the system. and that the pieces obviously have possibilities.

I don't think Bonzo's comic strip message had to do with system development. I think it's more speaking to those wedded to particular products or approaches single-mindedly.....getting blinded by that approach to other possibilities.

Bonzo ruffles feathers with his non politically correct direct feedback. it hits restrictive zones. sure he has biases he brings to any session. but......it's the music for him that tells the truth.....not his pre-conceived notions about what he is going to hear. I hope he can continue to weather the storm of judgment and not compromise the musical truth he hears.....and then shares from his viewpoint.

Well said, Mike.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would not want to be around anyone who thought they were wrong most of the time.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Well said and I agree completely.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Thanks Mike and yes, it is not about system development but about biases to designs/products and then arguing about them without required due diligence.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I find it very refreshing when someone is overly committed to their brand, setup or like. It means to me they get the most out their system even if there is better to be heard.

Problem always seems to come down to the unwillingness to allow anyone else to accept the same for themselves.

The jab is made.
Argument ensues
People get sensitive
Things become personal
etc

You can always not respond, not justify, hell even not care. Whats good for the goose is good for the goose.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I find it very refreshing when someone is overly committed to their brand, setup or like. It means to me they get the most out their system even if there is better to be heard.

Problem always seems to come down to the unwillingness to allow anyone else to accept the same for themselves.

The jab is made.
Argument ensues
People get sensitive
Things become personal
etc

You can always not respond, not justify, hell even not care. Whats good for the goose is good for the goose.

You can be committed to your own system/brand, which is quite different from saying it is better than brands you have never heard

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
you can be committed to your own system/brand, which is quite different from saying it is better than brands you have never heard

plus 1

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

+1

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is one thing to think to are right. It is another to know you are right. It's even worse to assume the other guy is an idiot because he does not agree with you.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is one thing to think to are right. It is another to know you are right. It's even worse to assume the other guy is an idiot because he does not agree with you.

Everyone here is an audiot

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing