M&K's Flamenco Fever

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In my experience, probably the most popular M&K Direct to Disc record, as evidenced by its continuing demand and high price on ebay endings. It almost never goes below $200 and at times hits $400 for an opened NM copy. It baffles me, as I have had 3 copies passed by my hands, and ears, and I could not understand why this thing is so much in demand and hence, commands such a premium price. AFAIK, there is no CD copy of this title. My main beef is the heavy stomping of some cuts gives me a headache of sorts after a few minutes. And there seems to be a high modulation on the recording that on the male voice, there is a distortion as he screams his throat out. Is this the reason why this album never made it to HP's List unlike M&K's 'For Duke' and 'Fatha'? I understand that some dealers use this to 'impress' a potential buyer of gears, but other than that, I always pass on an opportunity to own a copy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It must be the white jump suit driving up the prices ;) ;) ;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It must be the white jump suit driving up the prices ;) ;) ;)

LOL. But there is at least one cut in there that is fantastic. Dynamic flamenco guitar with no foot stomping or man yelling. LOL

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Personally I really like it. (Not the jumpsuit or his silly grin Hahahahaha)

It's a very traditional take on Flamenco music which really involves lots of stomping on specially made stages. The singing shows the strong North African influence on the Southern Regions of Spain where my Great Grandpa was from. In many "westernized" Flamenco recordings the focus is on the guitar and sometimes castanets so loses out on the "dance" part of the entire art form.

Now if only the darn album cover didn't show that dude, I could close my eyes and imagine the dancing ala the scene in Mission Impossible instead of that funny looking guy!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Personally I really like it. (Not the jumpsuit or his silly grin Hahahahaha)

It's a very traditional take on Flamenco music which really involves lots of stomping on specially made stages. The singing shows the strong North African influence on the Southern Regions of Spain where my Great Grandpa was from. In many "westernized" Flamenco recordings the focus is on the guitar and sometimes castanets so loses out on the "dance" part of the entire art form.

Now if only the darn album cover didn't show that dude, I could close my eyes and imagine the dancing ala the scene in Mission Impossible instead of that funny looking guy!

jumpsuit and the silly grin...hahaha. i didn't quite notice that grin after all these years. i was focusing on the cutting lathe machine. LOL. it's good to know that you enjoy the album. yeah, i'm more used to the 'westernized' flamenco music without the dance part. blame it on carlos montoya, he had no one playing anything with him. LOL

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Smile for the camera Senor!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing