Thread: In built or seperate subs?

In built or seperate subs?

Dear All

I am about to embark on a custom made audio room when I get my house extended. I have been given a loft room, and I am gonna get a 'room within a room' construction.

Now I am puzzled. I was thinking of getting a pair of subs such as the Velodyne DD's, however, I recall reading somewhere that the 'best' way forwardd is to get some in built into my wall.

What are your thoughts guys.

thanks

Lohan

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loheswaran View Post
    Dear All

I am about to embark on a custom made audio room when I get my house extended. I have been given a loft room, and I am gonna get a 'room within a room' construction.

Now I am puzzled. I was thinking of getting a pair of subs such as the Velodyne DD's, however, I recall reading somewhere that the 'best' way forwardd is to get some in built into my wall.

thanks

Lohan
    Never heard of built into wall. Sub location can be critical; for example, moving my sub from 12 inches to 8 inches distance from front wall removed a small bass hump that I hadn't noticed, but now it sounds better. Flexibility of placement is a good thing, wall doesn't offer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Loheswaran View Post
    Dear All

thanks

Lohan
    I have a friend who has a 24 inch Hartley slot loaded into the crawl space of his home,It sounds fantastic. If you have someone who is knowledgeable about such things fine. Change orders in construction can be expensive. Planning and expertise will be everything.
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover
    Digital: Monarchy NM24 DAC Sony DVD Transport
    Tuner: McIntosh MR78
    Cables: NBS Statement,Pro,Master Cables, Nirvana Digital SPDIF Cable
    Turntable: Linn LP12 Technics 1200
    RTR: Ampex 350,351,440BC,MR70
    Studer C37 60hz,Crown 2-844,824

Addicted to Best!
    Dual Velodyne DD's sounds great...placement is important...that probably includes the effects of placing them inside the wall. probably best to speak with someone who designs these rooms if you are going to go full-out for a listening room.
    Speaker Wilson X-1/SLAMMS / Velodyne DD18+
    Source Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp CJ GAT 2 / Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable SC/IC / PC TA Opus Gen5/MM2 / PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass
    Power/Ground/Shield 7 x 16A Furutech / Burmester948+NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard
    Headphone Sennheiser HD650 / Arcam rHead/ApogeeGroove

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    For me it's a matter of priorities. One goes room within a room for Sound Transmission purposes, keeping the sound in and keeping noise from outside out. In other words it pulls double duty by helping to keep your noise floor down and keeping your fellow residents and neighbors happy. Infinite baffles have many benefits but unless one lives alone keeping the subs from activating the resonant frequencies of anything they will transmit through may prove to be a very big challenge to overcome. For practical reasons, I would go with stand alone subs and put the added effort in set up rather than heroic construction.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank