All New Yamaha NS 5000 Speakers..... World-Beaters ?

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
I heard these recently.They sound wonderful.I went from listening to Magico S5s to the NS5000s and the Yamahas sound much better to me.the Magicos have superb bass quality and quantity but the midrange on the Yamahas is in another class.Probably the most natural ,clear and real sounding midrange I have heard.
They sound nothing like the NS 1000s really but quite similar to my NS75Ts.The NS75Ts are slightly sharper sounding and not quite as smooth but overall sound in terms of clarity,precision and imaging is not too dissimilar.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I heard these recently.They sound wonderful.I went from listening to Magico S5s to the NS5000s and the Yamahas sound much better to me.the Magicos have superb bass quality and quantity but the midrange on the Yamahas is in another class.Probably the most natural ,clear and real sounding midrange I have heard.
They sound nothing like the NS 1000s really but quite similar to my NS75Ts.The NS75Ts are slightly sharper sounding and not quite as smooth but overall sound in terms of clarity,precision and imaging is not too dissimilar.

I get the impression that the NS5000 is a domestic as opposed to a professional speaker like the NS1000M.

I have to say I have heard Magicos' a few times and was underwhelmed until I heard them at the end of some Constellation amps, at which point they were amongst the best sounds I have ever heard - the Constellation just gripped and pumped them in a way I had never heard.

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
I get the impression that the NS5000 is a domestic as opposed to a professional speaker like the NS1000M.

I have to say I have heard Magicos' a few times and was underwhelmed until I heard them at the end of some Constellation amps, at which point they were amongst the best sounds I have ever heard - the Constellation just gripped and pumped them in a way I had never heard.

Yes I agree that the Magicos can sound excellent with the right amplification.I have several friends who own them and use top flight amplification and sources to get the best out of them.They remain one of my favourite speakers.So I am very familiar with their sound but believe that the midrange in the Yamahas is so good and so real sounding that it makes the Magico midrange sound a bit lifeless and coloured by comparison.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I've owned the NS1000's and enjoyed them immensely --albeit in the 80's!--don't know whether I'd think the same of them in todays world

but good to see the new 5000's getting kudos--I agree on the Magicos--all I've heard of their models leave me underwhelmed as well

-I find them frankly irritating

and accent digital nasties--probably Ok on Analog but they're not my kind of speaker.

except for the Mini's-they seem to stand out from the pack.

BruceD

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
I've owned the NS1000's and enjoyed them immensely --albeit in the 80's!--don't know whether I'd think the same of them in todays world

but good to see the new 5000's getting kudos--I agree on the Magicos--all I've heard of their models leave me underwhelmed as well

-I find them frankly irritating

and accent digital nasties--probably Ok on Analog but they're not my kind of speaker.

except for the Mini's-they seem to stand out from the pack.

BruceD

Well the Magicos can sound underwhelming but with sympathetic amplifier matching they then can sound extremely good.So when I made the comparison between them and the Ns5000s I did not do so to criticise them but rather to explain that even compared to an extremely good speaker like the Magico S5 the Yamahas to me sounded even better.Well at least in the midrange.Some people may still prefer the Magicos for their overall performance balance but for me it is the stellar midrange of the Yamahas that makes them very special.A midrange that I suspect has set a new reference point.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Well the Magicos can sound underwhelming but with sympathetic amplifier matching they then can sound extremely good.So when I made the comparison between them and the Ns5000s I did not do so to criticise them but rather to explain that even compared to an extremely good speaker like the Magico S5 the Yamahas to me sounded even better.Well at least in the midrange.Some people may still prefer the Magicos for their overall performance balance but for me it is the stellar midrange of the Yamahas that makes them very special.A midrange that I suspect has set a new reference point.

Yes fair Point--I'm possibly bit harsh in my critique--I've heard the floor standers only at shows and in Showrooms with Boulder,

Spectral, and Constellation all seem to bend the same trait to me

--next time I'll consider to stay awhile if I come across the Constellation combo you like.

I've heard the Mini II's (RIP?) in a Domestic situ--I like them--and compare favourably to my GHomages.

BruceD

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
The original version of this speaker has had a fantastic reputation for nearly a generation...great to hear the new version is being well received. I have heard great things about the original.

I still enjoy hooking up and listening to my NS1000s. Maybe not as transparent as my Celestion SL-700 specials, but the Yamaha's are very nice. Would never think of getting rid of them.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Anybody with information if and when these speakers will make to the USA. I cannot believe it has taken this long. Yamaha supposedly demoed these speakers at TAVES in Toronto (maybe 2016).

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Anybody with information if and when these speakers will make to the USA. I cannot believe it has taken this long. Yamaha supposedly demoed these speakers at TAVES in Toronto (maybe 2016).

One page back, someone said that Yamaha decided not to market them in the USA.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
One page back, someone said that Yamaha decided not to market them in the USA.

I saw that but that was just a statement without any rationale or explanation behind the statement. I have emailed Yamaha again after the last post I made. Yamaha customer support likely will not know the answer, but does not hurt to ask.

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
I saw that but that was just a statement without any rationale or explanation behind the statement. I have emailed Yamaha again after the last post I made. Yamaha customer support likely will not know the answer, but does not hurt to ask.

Seeing as there was actually a page for the NS-5000's on the USA site for them, that's since been removed, my hopes aren't high. I'd have loved to check them out.

I hope your email is returned affirmatively as to their eventual sale, here.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Seeing as there was actually a page for the NS-5000's on the USA site for them, that's since been removed, my hopes aren't high. I'd have loved to check them out.

I hope your email is returned affirmatively as to their eventual sale, here.

I think what will happen is that Yamaha will come out with a line of speakers using the new tech. Similar to what Paradigm has done with the PERSONA line. I cannot see Yamaha not going into the largest market in the world (USA). Yamaha must be getting their ducks lined up in a row to introduce the new lineup. Having just 1 $15K is not going to be a big money maker or drive interest.

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
I think what will happen is that Yamaha will come out with a line of speakers using the new tech. Similar to what Paradigm has done with the PERSONA line. I cannot see Yamaha not going into the largest market in the world (USA). Yamaha must be getting their ducks lined up in a row to introduce the new lineup. Having just 1 $15K is not going to be a big money maker or drive interest.

I would not hold my breath because Yamaha has never extended driver technology[ like the berrylium drivers in the NS1000s] into cheaper models.
These tend to be flagship models and are probably most valuable as a general promotional tool rather than as something to generate direct profits.
I wonder if there is a problem with the NS5000 marketing model in USA as it seems in other countries they have made the decision to restrict distribution to a select few retailers and it seems that the speakers are purchased directly from Yamaha with a commission then going to the retailer.Thus eliminating discounting opportunities.
In some places this sort of marketing is a breach of fair trading regulations.Not that Apple take any notice.

Last edited:

rustplane

Feb 26, 2016
I've been interested in these speakers since first learning of them, having passed on the 1000m's when they were introduced in the US the mid-1970's, and always regretting it. So I've read every forum and review and even contacted Absolute Sound's editor and have gotten the "not at this time" reply from Yamaha twice. I've also looked around the world for dealers that might be selling them. I learned that 3 months ago the speakers were shown at a UK audio show (the "Indulgence" show) and the writer said they were the only pair in the country, although I did find them on one London dealer's website so am going to confirm that. They seem to be available in Australia and I also looked in Japan and found one large Tokyo dealer has them on back order. So my guess - and it's just that - is that Yamaha has a hit on its hands and simply can't keep up with demand, so is concentrating on its domestic market and maybe the Asia market first. This kind of makes sense, since their new amplifier line seems to be good, but not great, so naturally demand for it would be less.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I believe Yamaha will come out with a new line of speakers using this same technology in the near future for the USA.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Here's someone that has heard both the Yamaha ns 5000's and Yamaha Soavo F901's side-by-side and says they are little difference between them!

Maybe some just love to rave about the very small difference that the very best speakers in the world gives us and because they cost a lot more!:rolleyes: "Raving Rights":D

Diminishing Returns kicks in very Quick but some don't believe in diminishing returns!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-ns-5000-speakers-link.741206/

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
Here's someone that has heard both the Yamaha ns 5000's and Yamaha Soavo F901's side-by-side and says they are little difference between them!

Maybe some just love to rave about the very small difference that the very best speakers in the world gives us and because they cost a lot more!:rolleyes: "Raving Rights":D

Diminishing Returns kicks in very Quick but some don't believe in diminishing returns!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-ns-5000-speakers-link.741206/

I have heard both and the NS5000s are much better than the Soavo F901s.Both being driven by AS3000 amps.No comparison really.The Soavos are very decent but sound very thick ,congested and coloured in the midrange by comparison.Which is not to say they are poor in that area just that the NS5000s are exceptionally open and natural sounding.You really can't expect a standard thick cone type midrange to match it with a state of the art dome midrange.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de

rustplane

Feb 26, 2016
Hi-Fi Choice magazine in the UK has a new review in their January 2018 issue (sorry, no link). I just read it today at the newsstand. The reviewer found them like electrostatics and the drivers tonally even, big soundstage, great midrange. He had a few niggling dislikes but he compared these to the NS-1000's he owned. Also compared them to the Sonus Faber Serafino, which the magazine said had a larger overall stage. The Yamaha's they said are more detailed, not clinical or cold, but it leads me to believe the NS-5000 would be wonderful with tube amps. But the Serafino's are 20% more costly. Perhaps since the Yamaha's are being reviewed in the UK, the US will get them next. But I also read in another forum that Yamaha makes only 8 AS-3000 amps per day, so I continue to wonder if the reason we don't have these speakers yet is simply production volume limitations. Audiogon has a good forum question on speakers in this price range and there are simply so many good choices. For me, looks are important. I find Vandersteens and Wilsons to be ugly. I like the B&W 803d3 in white/silver for its looks. Nothing wrong with Magico's in basic black and the new A3 for $10k looks promising. The Sonus Faber's are beautiful, but not my taste. The Yamaha's are. I like to try new things. For example, I'm a ketchup lover. When Heinz introduced green ketchup, I was the first to try it. It's actually the same in every respect except color as the red ketchup but when I ate food with the green ketchup, eyes open naturally, it simply tasted different to me. In fact, I hated it. So while audiophiles talk about the WAF - wife acceptance factor - while I don't have a W, I do have the MAF - me acceptance factor. I want to like what I see when I listen, and that may affect my perception of what sound I'm hearing. I don't know and I haven't read anything about this possible effect. I'll be damned if I'm going to buy something I think is ugly. I love the Yamaha's looks. Simplicity is elegance. It always sounds different to different reviewers, owners, with different electronics and in different rooms anyway. There's no way to absolutely know. I'm buying what I like that is in this class that I like to look at, the 5000's. Put me first in line.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing