Best integrated for under $20K

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
+1, you'd need at least 60 watts class A for difficult loads.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Following some interesting recommendations here, I looked up measurements.
The Ayre and the Dartzeel, both are not stable when seeing a 2 ohm load, meaning they are not suitable for my needs.
The Jeff Rowland Countinuum looks interesting, although no local distributors.

Thanks!
What about the Sim Audio 700i?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
iaxel what is the impedance and sensitivity of your speakers ?
The Sim Audio 700i is indeed a very nice integrated, i did consider it for myself at some point but depending on your speakers i'm not sure if it will drive them properly.
In what country do you live for not having a Rowland distributor ?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
iaxel what is the impedance and sensitivity of your speakers ?
The Sim Audio 700i is indeed a very nice integrated, i did consider it for myself at some point but depending on your speakers i'm not sure if it will drive them properly.
In what country do you live for not having a Rowland distributor ?
Thanks!
My speakers are measured at 88dB and 4ohm nominal (some lab measurements suggest they should be 2 ohm nominal), but they drop to 2ohm in some mid-high frequencies.

I live in Israel.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks!
My speakers are measured at 88dB and 4ohm nominal (some lab measurements suggest they should be 2 ohm nominal), but they drop to 2ohm in some mid-high frequencies.

I live in Israel.

Then if you cannot audition the Rowland you should try out the Ghyphon Diablo 300 and the Pass Int 250 if you want to stay within your $20K budget.
The ASR Emiter 2 Exclusive is stunning, probably my favorire integrated i auditioned to date but not sure if it would drive your speakers perfectly.
The ASR can compete way above its price point, you might want to check it out.
The only problem i find with this amp is it's 4 box set up.

Comedus76

Nov 14, 2016
I drive Magico S1MkII's which are 86db and 4ohm nominal with the Class A Vitus in a medium sized room; have never felt the Vitus lacking or running out of juice. I used to have a 300W (Class A/B) Hegel with very high damping factor previously (which BTW is an amazing integrated itself for much much lesser $).

P.S: I would, though, like to try the Gryphon Diablo at some point; unfortunately Gryphon still doesn't have US distribution!

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I drive Magico S1MkII's which are 86db and 4ohm nominal with the Class A Vitus in a medium sized room; have never felt the Vitus lacking or running out of juice. I used to have a 300W (Class A/B) Hegel with very high damping factor previously (which BTW is an amazing integrated itself for much much lesser $).

P.S: I would, though, like to try the Gryphon Diablo at some point; unfortunately Gryphon still doesn't have US distribution!
The S1 mk1 is an easier load than my speaker. I actually heard it pushed with a 30W class A Luxman and it sounded great. The same Luxman was not enough on my speaker.

I've noticed there's a cheaper Vitus than the SIA-025, the RI-100, which is 300/600W into 8/4ohms respectively. How does it compare to the SIA-025?

Comedus76

Nov 14, 2016
Understood. I haven't heard the RI-100 in my system in my room but have heard it at a dealer - it is a powerhouse with very tight control of the drivers; sounds very much like the SIA-025 - I wasn't able to differentiate between the RI and the SIA without concentrating hard to spot the differences between SIA playing in Class A vs. the RI-100 in Class A/B. If you didn't compare the two, you wouldn't find the RI-100 lacking anything. Of course, this is all IMHO - YMMV. Another one I would suggest taking a look at if possible is the Aavik U300 - I don't know much about how good it is at driving difficult loads but would be worth researching a bit.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
The Aavik U300 is a $30K integrated that has a DAC.
Does he need a DAC included ? and the budget is way over his $20K.
The Vitus RI-100 might be something to look at for his power needs and within his budget.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I've got the Absolare, Ayre, Ypsilon, Rowland and Devialet on permanent demonstration at our premises in Stockholm. I used to have the Gryphon Diablo 300 as well. I'm also carrying CH Precision, where the I1 will hopefully arrive early this year.

All have their virtuos.

What are you looking for besides the ability to drive tougher loads? What does the rest of your system consist of?

All the best.

/ Marcus, Perfect sense

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I've got the Absolare, Ayre, Ypsilon, Rowland and Devialet on permanent demonstration at our premises in Stockholm. I used to have the Gryphon Diablo 300 as well. I'm also carrying CH Precision, where the I1 will hopefully arrive early this year.

All have their virtuos.

What are you looking for besides the ability to drive tougher loads? What does the rest of your system consist of?

All the best.

/ Marcus, Perfect sense

Hyperion are you well familiar with the Ypsilon Aelius ll ? and how do they behave with quite difficult speakers like Thiel CS 3.7 ?
Thanks.
I will have a home audition of these in 2 weeks time.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
A home audition is always wise. If your system and preferences can take a very high level of transparency, the Ypsilon + Thiel's might work very well. I have to little of experience with Thiel though unfortunately to predict the end result. Please make sure that the preamp is of the same extraordinary quality as the Aelius II mono's though.

/ Marcus

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The S1 mk1 is an easier load than my speaker. I actually heard it pushed with a 30W class A Luxman and it sounded great. The same Luxman was not enough on my speaker.

I've noticed there's a cheaper Vitus than the SIA-025, the RI-100, which is 300/600W into 8/4ohms respectively. How does it compare to the SIA-025?

Hi there.
I have not heard the R1-100 so can't speak from direct experience but I am assured by people who are familiar with it that it is not far behind the the Signature series and to describe the Reference series as an entry level Vitus is factually true it is a totally different level of entry level compared with other manufacturers ranges.
My 025 drives my YG Acoustic Kipod Signature passives with absolutely no problem and from memory their sensitivity is around 85 and 8-5 ohms impedance but if you really need the extra power I am sure the R1-100 won't disappoint.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Consider the Boulder 865. Great performance into lower impedences.

I have demoed this and it does sound very good, really good actually and I do agree. But it has been out for a while and their are some really nice alternatives that may sound better. The integrated market has literally become mainstream. If the Boulder 865 was priced in the $7500 price range it would easily be the best sounding in that price range (if you like SS designs). But considering you can get the GamuT integrated (for around the same price) among many other integrated amps it is a hard sale these days. But yes, I had it for about a month on my demo and used it with my YG Carmel's (speakers I was using at the time) and they controlled those YG's amazingly well.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
I've been asking myself this question lately also to maybe keep costs down for another system. But more like $25k so you can put absolare and agostino (used) in the mix..

I have the cth8550 and love it, drives my WB just fine.

My list would be Diablo 300, absolare, agostino, ch precision, nagra classic, technical brain just released a new integrated, no idea what it's like.. so many interesting options.

Would love to hear them all...

Really? TB stuff is f***ing incredible sounding gear. I was lucky enough to demo their zero mono's while I was overseas several years ago and I still remember how they sound. I am surprised they are not well known here in America.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing